Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Was offered a buy-up today at booking on a SFO-IAD itin for late September. I want to say the offer was something ridiculous like $700 each way. Declined and used miles instead because I knew there was NF space and I didn't feel like parting with the money. U/g confirmed on request.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Sort of

Originally Posted by crazeinc
Was anyone ever offered Y->F PCU on 3-class domestic flights? There's a fair number of 0NC 1+NF SFO-JFK flights I wouldn't mind taking advantage of.
I was offered Y->Z PCU which I purchased. Soon after .bomb was selling me Z->F. Have not had a Y->F offer on a 3 cabin aircraft. This was not on a PS route.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:24 am

Paid Upgrades on UA?

OK, I'm probably the oddball out here. I rarely fly, but I'm still a Member of both United and Delta's mileage plans. I'm on a trip from GEG-DEN-CLE tommorrow on UA. I don't have enough miles to upgrade to first, but does UA offer the option to pay cash for an upgrade? I know AS lets customers upgrade for $50 at the gate if there are seats available. Does UA only offer upgrades with miles?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Occasional Flyer!

If there are seats available, United will often offer upgrades for cash (UFC), but there's no guarantee.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome.

If your trip is tomorrow, and you do the online check in you may be offered the ability to pay to upgrade to first class when you check in.

United upgrades it's elite members for free, so there is little chance of anything being left over for upgrades when you get to the gate, but you can check in up to 24 hours before the flight.

I don't think it will be as low as $50 either.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:31 am

Thanks for the info. What's odd is that I wasn't able to upgrade online, but when I checked the seat assignments in economy, the put me in economy plus and I didn't pay any extra for the additional legroom. Probably won't be as bad as the more cramped regular economy seat.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by glasnost7
Was offered a buy-up today at booking on a SFO-IAD itin for late September. I want to say the offer was something ridiculous like $700 each way. Declined and used miles instead because I knew there was NF space and I didn't feel like parting with the money. U/g confirmed on request.
I received a $625 buy-up offer to upgrade my SMF-DEN-ORD-MIA trip and I declined. In the end, I ended up getting my UDU on all legs. UA's revenue management department seriously needs therapy.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I like the ridiculous prices; means there's a good chance I'll get the UDU or miles upgrade, depending on the route.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by glasnost7
I like the ridiculous prices; means there's a good chance I'll get the UDU or miles upgrade, depending on the route.
+1

CO's lower prices for upgrades for sale mean fewer free upgrades... I have the feeling that that will occur on UA as well as they integrate
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
I received a $625 buy-up offer to upgrade my SMF-DEN-ORD-MIA trip and I declined. In the end, I ended up getting my UDU on all legs. UA's revenue management department seriously needs therapy.
I'm willing to bet that the hit-rates for % of pax that take advantage of a buy-up on a certain route can be forecast with surprising actuarial accuracy over the span of a year.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Agree

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I actually don't mind the old style seats that much; for anything up to 9-10 hours they're tolerable (though 14 hours to HKG I would prefer the bed). When I'm the new C seat, I spend most of the time semi-reclined anyway.

If the old C had the new IFE, I could be reasonably content with it.
I'm the same way. When the new configurations came out, I had to fly to BRU and, instead of going direct, took a connecting flight through GVA which had the new seats. My first reaction: great. Much better video, more privacy, and lay flat.

But then I realized the negatives: a narrower seat and literally no storage space. I am not a big guy, but I did feel a little cramped.

When I flew the old 777 back from BKK to NRT to SEA, I realized the old seats are not so bad. I generally don't recline all the way, either. The only thing I really missed was the ability to put my legs up higher when I am stretched out. If I could do that, then I would not mind the old seats at all.

If given the choice between taking a chance for an upgrade with the new configuration versus an almost sure upgrade on a 777 to Asia, I'll chose the old 777. But if the odds appeared more even, I would take the new plane.

BTW Since we can now use SWU's on CO, has anyone had experience on the CO flight from IAH to NRT? (Or any other CO flight to Asia)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Has anyone had experience with the Y->F upsell offer lately? Booked a K fare on a flight with NC0 and XF & NF both >0, applied miles, but no upsell offer. Is that gone forever?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
Has anyone had experience with the Y->F upsell offer lately? Booked a K fare on a flight with NC0 and XF & NF both >0, applied miles, but no upsell offer. Is that gone forever?
Two months ago booked K from sfo-hkg and got the upgrade to First offered for 999.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jetboy787
Two months ago booked K from sfo-hkg and got the upgrade to First offered for 999.
Cool. I'm hoping the offer is not gone forever, but last month (July) I was hoping for Economy --> NF buy up to SYD but never offered despite NF>0. However, when NC>0 I did take the buy up.

Hoping to make the SFO-HKG mileage run a bit more comfortable this month but NC/NF has been frozen to 0 for the past several days. =(
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
I'm willing to bet that the hit-rates for % of pax that take advantage of a buy-up on a certain route can be forecast with surprising actuarial accuracy over the span of a year.
For sure, but given how unselective UA is when it comes to choosing revenue analysts, there is plenty of room for easy mistakes to be made, especially when people who have no quantitative backgrounds are being selected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.