Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: United 2P
I bought tickets for SBN-ORD-SEA return SEA-PDX-ORD-SBN Sunday night. I was offered a buy up for the ORD-SEA and PDX-ORD legs on 757's for $300 each. I declined and I'll take my (low) chances with UDU
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold
SEA-ORD on an A320 for $300 and ORD-PHL on an A320 for $150.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
LAX-JFK PS flight early April

offered $400 for instant upgrade from Y->C (at least 10 open)
Declined and used CR-1 to upgrade
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by CMK10
I brought this up way back in Post 163 and got shot down for it
Yes, I saw that and thank you for posting at the time! I believed you and I am glad I did ^.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Thumbs down CO Buy-up data point

I am flying on CO from SNA to IAH on Monday. Looking at CO's website, I can see that, well inside the plat/1K window, 1 seat has been sold and exactly 0 elites have been upgraded. Nice.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
At booking, K fare
Y->F
SFO-DEN $150
DEN-TPA $225
TPA-IAD $150
IAD-SFO N/A

Declined all pending UDU.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: UA MP
There's been some mixed messages having gone through this thread and I'd appreciate some clarification. I'm waitlisted Y->C on a JFK-SFO ps flight next month and if I see that there's no way I'm going to clear, I can walk up to the gate agent and ask to possibly purchase the upgrade outright?

I'm regretting not buying the Z fare after having read this flight is notoriously hard to get upgraded on thurs afternoon-night, but curious minds would like to know.

edit: staying true to the thread, I was offered W->F for $300 SFO-ORD early may.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by pjhyett
There's been some mixed messages having gone through this thread and I'd appreciate some clarification. I'm waitlisted Y->C on a JFK-SFO ps flight next month and if I see that there's no way I'm going to clear, I can walk up to the gate agent and ask to possibly purchase the upgrade outright?

I'm regretting not buying the Z fare after having read this flight is notoriously hard to get upgraded on thurs afternoon-night, but curious minds would like to know.

edit: staying true to the thread, I was offered W->F for $300 SFO-ORD early may.
Do you mean co chance of upgrading under UDU? Because no, p.s. flights have no UDU.

But you could use 15,000 miles to waitlist for an upgrade. If you have status - there is a good chance that will clear
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ONTRandy
I am flying on CO from SNA to IAH on Monday. Looking at CO's website, I can see that, well inside the plat/1K window, 1 seat has been sold and exactly 0 elites have been upgraded. Nice.
CO seems to have swung from often filling up even before the EUA window to now not releasing hardly any F seats til T-24
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by TIMOS
Do you mean co chance of upgrading under UDU? Because no, p.s. flights have no UDU.

But you could use 15,000 miles to waitlist for an upgrade. If you have status - there is a good chance that will clear
People were talking about straight cash buy-ups at the gate, that's what I was asking about. I'm already waitlisted with 15k miles on the flight, but I'm sitting at 0% upgrade success (using miles) JFK-SFO this year.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TIMOS

My experience is for p.s. Flights, upgrades using CR-1 usually clear.

So I'm a lot more careful with my stash of CR-1 these days.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
LAX-Europe TATL legs @ $999 each, Y->C

Offered at booking. Both outbound and return have connections. Declined both, SWU's cleared for TATL but domestic flights are waitlisted. Flights in late April/early May.

I was able to pick one or both flights to upgrade if I wanted, so this is a ^. Now if they could just do something about the price! If the return had included the domestic flight from IAD-LAX, I probably would have taken the offer.

Fare class appears to have no bearing on the price. Outbound is a B fare while the inbound is an H, but both U/G's were priced at $999 each.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:02 am

Booked SFO-FRA-AMS and return in Z for $3100 in late April. Granted, I don't price these trips out very often, but it seemed like a good deal considering SFO-JFK ps flights in Z aren't much less than that.

Was offered a Z->A upgrade on the SFO-FRA leg for $999 when I purchased the tickets.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Purchased SFO-NRT in Z today for 3500. Was offered upgrade to F both ways for 1100 each way. I declined.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: UA MM, over 1.3 lifetime miles
$1100 each way? that's offensive; how stupid do they think we are? do they even have lie flat beds on that aircraft? not all 777's are refurbished !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.