Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Another apparent "double upgrade" offer data point.

SFO-ORD-MUC on a B fare, was offered F for ~$2200 at time of booking two days ago. .bomb did say it wouldn't get bonus EQMs.

Declined, 10K miles to immediately upgrade into NC was good enough for me.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kannon99
I got the prepare for your flight email with an offer to upgrade to premium seating on my HPN-ORD flight next week.

Travel Options by United
Premium Seating
Treat yourself to an upgrade and enjoy the benefits that Premium Seating has to offer:

* Free checked baggage allowance (up to a $60 value*)
* Comfortable, spacious seats
* Priority boarding and security line access
* Complimentary alcoholic beverages

Get instantly confirmed into United First and United Business by purchasing your upgrade anytime from ticket purchase to check-in. Seats are limited and subject to availability.

All for only $65 dollars. Now heres the problem, the flight is on a CRJ-200.
Priceless. I would accept the offer just to see how .bomb handles it or what happens once you get to the airport. Totally worth the hassle of requesting a chargeback if UA doesn't refund the $65 in a timely manner.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:44 am

What would you do?

I'm flying DCA-ORD-PDX next week on an S fare. For ORD-PDX, .bomb showed no seats free in E+ or E- and said I'd be gate assigned a seat. There are currently 19 seats open in F. Not surprisingly, it showed the flight (757-200) as mileage upgrade eligible, and offered to sell me the upgrade for an extra $300 on a $280 ticket. I declined.

So here's the question: I'm P1. Do I burn 15k miles now to be certain I'm not in the bowels of E-, or do I assume that with UDUs either I'm going to clear into F or that I'll get a tolerable E+ seat when the GS and 1k folks clear?

FWIW I normally wouldn't consider burning miles to upgrade a flight this short.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA general member, HH gold
SFO--->LIH

Last week I as flying with my family on 4 RT saver awards SFO to LIH and used OLCI. Offered $365pp. Declined. (Not worth it....have two kids, 3 years old and 1 year old).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
JFK-SFO
5/4/2011 - UA 5
Offered $450 upsell from Y to C. Declined.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, HA Gold
SWU

Have not had any success with those international SWU and I think those upsells at the gate might be the culprit. UA sucks
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kahalakaz
Have not had any success with those international SWU and I think those upsells at the gate might be the culprit. UA sucks
What fare bucket are you buying for each international ticket? Are you going on 767s or 747/777? I doubt upsells are the culprit.. Could be that folks have actually payed for C, or upgraded before you.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:26 am

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Just curious what triggers an upsell on check in? I'm flying IAD-LHR tonight on UA924 and Flyertalk reported back NC9 (and still does) but nothing popped up (Y-C) when I checked in last night.

I'm flying on an award ticket (XY) and paid for E+ (sadly my 2P is gone this year due to a sweet baby). I was hoping to cough up some $ for a C.

Worth asking at Dulles tonight?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Gorby
Worth asking at Dulles tonight?
Absolutely. You'll jump to the top of the upgrade queue if you're willing to pay.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mazzer
Absolutely. You'll jump to the top of the upgrade queue if you're willing to pay.
If it's NC9, there's probably not going to be a queue, and you shouldn't have a problem paying for an upgrade. However, I still don't think there's conclusive evidence (let alone official word from United) that paying does anything to bump you up the upgrade list over higher status passengers using any instrument to upgrade.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
If it's NC9, there's probably not going to be a queue, and you shouldn't have a problem paying for an upgrade. However, I still don't think there's conclusive evidence (let alone official word from United) that paying does anything to bump you up the upgrade list over higher status passengers using any instrument to upgrade.
If you read through this thread and others, many of us have succeeded in buying up at the gate when it was clear that the SWU would not clear.

Last edited by mazzer; Feb 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm Reason: Did not get my information in after teh quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:04 pm

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Thanks, we'll see what happens when I get to the airport tonight. Still showing wide open.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
W fare to F

On a W fare LAX-GVA. 3/4/2011. Used miles to upg to C. How would I go about doing an upsell to C then using miles to F? Can anyone suggest how this can be done& if it can be done. Thank you
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
If you read through this thread and others, many of us have succeeded in buying up at the gate when it was clear that the SWU would not clear.
With the exception of some behavior at Sydney, which United does not seem to acknowledge, I have not found examples in this thread or it's predecessor (both of which I subsrcibe(d) to) of a trend supporting your assertion. Please point me in the right direction-- possibly you have an email from United, saying gate buy-ups trump miles, SWU's, and status... ?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
With the exception of some behavior at Sydney, which United does not seem to acknowledge, I have not found examples in this thread or it's predecessor (both of which I subsrcibe(d) to) of a trend supporting your assertion. Please point me in the right direction-- possibly you have an email from United, saying gate buy-ups trump miles, SWU's, and status... ?
Look around post 50 of this thread for example....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.