Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by smitty06
I noticed that the GA at LAS this morning had an upsell price chart in front of her. Airport was busy and I didnt have the nerve to ask her to see it to check out the prices. Anyone seen these before?
I saw a similar list at a UX station, last year..
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smitty06
I noticed that the GA at LAS this morning had an upsell price chart in front of her. Airport was busy and I didnt have the nerve to ask her to see it to check out the prices. Anyone seen these before?
I've seen it for E- to E+ taped to the desk at SFO before, with cost listed by flight distance.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by exerda
Currently not looking good for the UDU, though. Bring on Feb. 1! (Currently 2nd on list but F is booked, if not yet checked in, full.)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Plat
Just purchased COS-MCO on 2/23-2/28 and was offered $255 to upgrade to 1st on the DEN-MCO leg only. All other legs said "unavailable."

Discounted Y fare was a total of $396 ai, so $255 is a bit steep for me. I've got an E+ aisle, I'm happy.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:23 am

For the upsell offers at check in (as distinguished from those that are made on the website at the time of purchase), are these offered when one checks in on the website (day before the flight), or only for check-in at the airport?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I don't do online check in. I have asked at the counter when checking in for a long haul flight several times. I've also asked about a buy-up while waiting on an international flight at the Red Carpet Club counter. Sometimes I've taken the offer, sometimes not. Depends on the circumstances.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Chamor
For the upsell offers at check in (as distinguished from those that are made on the website at the time of purchase), are these offered when one checks in on the website (day before the flight), or only for check-in at the airport?
I have recieved the offer during online check-in. My family of 4 even recieved the offer when we checked in for our HNL-LAX-DEN on saver award tickets. There is no discrimination when it comes to these offers.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
SFO-PVG March 23 offered Q-C $999 at purchase - didn't take it as I knew SWU would clear.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
SFO-SEA-SFO, fare $239, offered F for $300.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:58 am

SEA-IAD-LGA-ORD-SEA award flight and was offered SEA-IAD for $375, ORD-SEA for 300. IAD-LGA is US airways. LGA-ORD was not offered though. not a good deal so didn't take it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 2P
ORD-LHR offered at booking 1718 for 2 people. Y(W)-->C

Declined as it was NC8 and had a friend sponsor two SWUs which confirmed instantly.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by eisnachm
ORD-LHR offered at booking 1718 for 2 people. Y(W)-->C

Declined as it was NC8 and had a friend sponsor two SWUs which confirmed instantly.
NC8-- that's a good sign. Haven't seen that for a while.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by ps9a
NC8-- that's a good sign. Haven't seen that for a while.
It was NC3 last night. I put a hold on it and then checked this morning at it was NC8. Called the 2P line and he told me that yes, NC8 was correct! And it is a 763 not the 744 that they added to this route.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I got one $859, LAX-LHR, Z-NF.

Declined; NF was available, and I was able to upgrade after ticketing.
What did you use for the upgrade? I thought that Z fares can't be upgraded with SWUs or miles?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
$809 to Buy up from W to F on ICN-SFO

I generally ignore the emails I get suggesting different upgrade options, but this one today caught my eye:

Why wait to upgrade when you can reserve a seat in advance
with two easy options? Upgrade with money or miles -- the
choice is yours.

Save yourself a seat in United Business(R) or United First(R)
with Premium Seating today

I have a SFO-ICN rt booked two weeks out, and I paid extra for W ($1482 vs $909 for L) so I could use SWUs. I've generally had good upgrade success on that route so I was content. But I just checked the 'purchase upgrade' option on .bomb -- expecting that they would ask for $$ in order to upgrade to C. But to my surprise, the offer is to move all the way to F for $809. All cash, no miles. Even the Z rt was $4k, so this seems like a pretty good deal. Equipment is 747-400 with the new F suites.

The offer in .bomb has positions for both C and F upgrades in each direction, but all are 'unavailable' save for the F return. It's funny because the outbound is slightly 'staler' inventory and there are fewer open F seats on the return. But I won't question all the hidden and secret analysis behind the scenes in the load/yield management department.

I expect to do quite a few long-hauls this year and I will run out of SWUs. It's a work trip with a short (4 day) turn-around in Seoul. I'm bringing a colleague who does not travel much so this would be a big treat for him. And I could save the SWUs for later.

Comments please? Am I being an obsessive compulsive travel junkie or is this a pretty good deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.