Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
I'm with the camp that prefers to get their SWUs Jan-Jan. Crediting in Nov/Dec (when I usually requalify) is less beneficial to me. I would also be in favour of spreading out our SWU crediting similar to the current CR1 system. 1 or 2 SWUs per 25,000 BIS UA miles means no major push to use all SWUs at the end of next year and also be a soft landing for those that won't / can't re-qualify as 1K the following year.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, makes me wonder, how high up such a change and adjustment thereof is being handled/reviewed. Up to the CEO's desk?

Originally Posted by lainys
I'm with the camp that prefers to get their SWUs Jan-Jan. Crediting in Nov/Dec (when I usually requalify) is less beneficial to me. I would also be in favour of spreading out our SWU crediting similar to the current CR1 system. 1 or 2 SWUs per 25,000 BIS UA miles means no major push to use all SWUs at the end of next year and also be a soft landing for those that won't / can't re-qualify as 1K the following year.
Agree on the Jan-Jan procedure. However, I understand that UA wants one of the main benefits (SWU) keep for true 1Ks only. Otherwise, someone just qualifying for 2P might end with SWUs. Soft landing to regular 1P/2P would be fair enough, IMHO.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 19, 2010 at 8:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by transpac
This of course can be worked-around by simply removing your MP# from the record, after clearing any upgrades, and then retroactively claiming mileage credit, near the end of December or in early January.

Originally Posted by mikel51
Of course then you would lose all the benefits of UDU, early boarding, economy plus, etc. etc.
You remove your MP # from the record after taking advantage of all the perks. It can be challenging, but it is done by many who want to decide later which program to credit the miles toward.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Aside from that, an even 1 segment to 1000 mile ratio seems pretty reasonable. How did UA come up with something slightly-different in the first place?
UA actually agrees with you. They use that 1000 EQM = 1 EQS ratio for UA/Chase Choices and for Elite Choice carry-over EQM/EQS.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Why torture the 1 or 2P with SWUs?

Expanding the "fairness" discussion I guess one would say that 1P, 2Ps should get some fraction of 1K benefits, like 1 or 2 SWU's and 2 or 3 CR-1's? That would remove any irregularity or unevenness.

As a 1K I love being the "teacher's pet".

Apologies if I come across as overly pedantic, or strident.
Having now experienced it, why would you want to torture the poor 1 or 2P with SWUs? As an "educated" 2P, it was tough enough finding flights with the right combination of decent seats, schedule and price. Imagine the frustration of a 1 or 2P planning a trip to OZ, thinking wow, this is so cool, I can fly in new Biz class on that ancient 747 instead of cattlecar at the rear. So they book their ticket during one of UAs OZ fare sales, only to discover the magic of fare eligibilities, which, if they catch it in time to cancel and re-book (within 24 hours), they are faced with a huge difference in price! But the go for it, because it's their only long flight of the year, and then find that, as a 1 or 2P, they aren't going to make the cut, something that happens even to the 1K folk on that route. The difference, though, is that the 1K might have another shot at it down the road. Probably not the 1 or 2P, who's going to end up with an unused SWU that might be good for a weekend trip to Vegas. From lax or sfo.

Spare the 1 or 2Ps such cruelty. Or, as they say, "Think of the children!"
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
You remove your MP # from the record after taking advantage of all the perks. It can be challenging, but it is done by many who want to decide later which program to credit the miles toward.
That's ALOT of work to go thru in order to keep ones SWU from crediting until the last minute. I for one don't have the patience to sit thru this exercise nor do I fly enough internationally to want to. However each to their own!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
The bonus + for switching to AA would be that I would not need to do 100k BIS miles as I heard that credit card spending (on AA citicard) would count towards EXP.
I'm no expert but I don't believe this is true. Credit card spending does not count towards annual elite status. It does count towards lifetime miles I think (so to earn 1MM flyer, etc.).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
TThe bigger deal was that if CO gave out 8 CR-1s, their revenue model would break. Too many plats that would ormally buy YBM fares to get the confirmed upgrade would now just buy the cheapest fare and upgrade. Four RTs per plat where you lost several hundred dollars of revenue would be a problem. But they couldn't take CR-1s away completely, so this is how they made the compromise.
The CR1s pull from separate capacity controlled fare buckets on UA. I expect that they would on CO as well. Would they have to use the same fare buckets as the YMB instant upgrade fares? No. UAs Y-UP and Q-UP fares used separate classes for the F component also.

-David
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
That is correct. Annual elite status, no, only BIS. But if/when you compile 1 million, then 2 million miles (from all sources, BIS, credit cards, etc) you do gain "lifetime" status - gold and platinum, respectively.

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I'm no expert but I don't believe this is true. Credit card spending does not count towards annual elite status. It does count towards lifetime miles I think (so to earn 1MM flyer, etc.).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:26 pm

EQS Qualifying

Originally Posted by fastair
Remember, 2 sides to any argument. Many have posted that UA is attacking, discriminating against/penalizing the 1K who gets it on segments. So why should the 1k on segments be the anomaly to all the other people who get 1P, and 2P on segments, which is in the 30/25k miles ratio per tier? It was fair to use that method for everyone up until this point where the 1k on segments had an exception to the ratio, now they fit the exact pattern that others have, and it is somehow unfair to them? This logic defies logic. They are standardizing everyone, eliminating an outlier to the standard formula, and it is somehow unfair. Look at "fair" in the dictionary, one of the uses is "without irregularity or unevenness". It seems to me that it was unfair to some before, but now fits the definition.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't feel good when you are given irregular treatment and it benefits you (i.e. teacher's pet) and then you get a new situation where equality is practiced (new grade, new teacher, no pets.) Anytime an advantage is taken away, it feels bad, but that doesn't make it unfair, discriminatory, or being picked on. I hear your pain, but it isn't anything irrational or unfair, it's just that change, even evolution, doesn't always benefit everyone equally.
Fastair: Just drop it... You are right. It is fair. But that does not mean people can't keep complaining!

And most people (EQM 1K's) don't care... To prove this point, one of the 1K segment runners should begin a thread: "Join me, I am mad as H___ at UA for increasing 1K qualification from 100 EQS to 120 EQS!" Rather than hundreds of posts and 50,000+ (Wow!) thread views like this one, I think it would quickly wither to the fourth page in the list of active threads...

Always remember, what do you get when you take the ast out of Fastair?

FAIR!

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I suppose the one difference is still on p.s. flights. Since UDU don't apply to these, CR1 are still useful even for upgrades at the gate.
Unless I use an SWU, when the PS flight is connected to a TPAC, my CR1s are used solely for these.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:56 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Fastair: Just drop it... You are right. It is fair. But that does not mean people can't keep complaining!

And most people (EQM 1K's) don't care... To prove this point, one of the 1K segment runners should begin a thread: "Join me, I am mad as H___ at UA for increasing 1K qualification from 100 EQS to 120 EQS!" Rather than hundreds of posts and 50,000+ (Wow!) thread views like this one, I think it would quickly wither to the fourth page in the list of active threads...

FAIR!

It's the debate that keeps me coming back! One sided rants get boring really quick. I guess if one doesn't want to read alternative viewpoints, one could start their own message board with moderators that could censor any post that disagrees with their views. Oh wait, that is untied.com..it exists already. I don't post there.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

FAIR!

Just because you don't have a dog in the fight, does that mean you wouldn't defend the underdog here?
I hope you're not speaking about the FlyerTalk community as a whole here, because quite a few people would take serious issue with your comments.
Your "this doesn't concern me...why should I care?" attitude kind of flies in the face of the reason a lot of us participate in FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's ALOT of work to go thru in order to keep ones SWU from crediting until the last minute. I for one don't have the patience to sit thru this exercise nor do I fly enough internationally to want to. However each to their own!
Its actually incredibly simple and easy, retroactive mileage credit can be claimed on the website or even on the MP IVR system. Probably one of the top 10 things I learned on FT, maybe 11 years ago.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:20 pm

other dog's you have in the fight that I can support?

Originally Posted by ExCrew
Just because you don't have a dog in the fight, does that mean you wouldn't defend the underdog here?
I hope you're not speaking about the FlyerTalk community as a whole here, because quite a few people would take serious issue with your comments.
Your "this doesn't concern me...why should I care?" attitude kind of flies in the face of the reason a lot of us participate in FlyerTalk.
Let's just say that this is one I am not going to stick my neck out over...

I am certainly not intending to speak for the FT Community as a whole... but, once UA announced the change to the CR-1 policy, there were a lot of thank you's and a lot less activity / complaining. (and look at some of the threads on FT if you want to see how 'underdogs' are thought of: referring to 'common' MP'rs as 'Kettles'. The consistent reference to 'lowly 2p's'...)

Please do start the thread I suggested: 'EQS 1K'rs Unite: We demand 100!' Let's see what happens.

ExCrew: I do empathize with my fellow FT'ers. If there is something else that is important to you that you would like me to fight for, let me know.

I just can't get enraged over the 100 to 120 EQS 1K qualifying issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.