Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by giggy
Sheesh DEQM = 37.5 k for top tier ?? give me a break. yet it seems they want to ram nonepass down our throats.
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine... No wonder there is so much hubris amongst the tulip crowd; it must be the DEQM promos that make so many think they are king of the world ala Leonardo DeCaprio in Titanic... If 33% of a UA 1K's flight miles were taken during a DEQM promo, their butt in seat miles were the same as a CO Plat.

SunLover
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
While its nice that UA has at least temporarily relented on the CR-1 change, the EQS still hasn't changed, and it looks like the change for CR-1s will still return in 2012, and for people that will make 1K in 2011, they still get shafted even worse now than before since only four CR-1s, and and no 75k mid-tier.

This is a hollow victory, but it does show that UA is at least willing to listen. If E+ survives, I'll still be flying ...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:53 pm

How about a name for 0P?

First of all, something seems to be wrong with the 'quote' function when you try to quote a previous post in your reply...

This is what it looks like with no editing:

[QUOTE=Mike Jacoubowsky;15219743]
Originally Posted by sfkittee
And an edited one:

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Yes, it was me. Close enough on the spelling... Jacoubowsky.

I had coined
curious 3P
lowly 2P
Humble 1P
BOLD 1K
MIGHTY UGS

I was the 2P cat-herder for some time, doing my best to keep expectations in line, explaining how things worked, preaching respect for the real iron-butt flyers who keep the planes up in the air.

And then something weird happened. I flew too much last year, and then UA added DEQM (twice, although I didn't fly once during the initial DEQM period), and with a mileage run became a 1K. I always signed my posts with lowly 2P when that was my station in life, but I never really felt I earned the right to consider myself a BOLD 1K. I also had, for a time, all of the elite titles listed in my sig, but was asked by a couple of seasoned FTers to remove them, because they were distracting as people scrolled down a page.

Next year, I'll hopefully be able to report on the Humble 1P experience.

Mr. J: We need one new name:

0P - 75K EQM or 90 EQS - The new sweet spot in the UA hierarchy (in my opinion)

Bordering bold, but not bold. And yet, not humble either...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anybody have any idea why United went with the new CR-1 policy?

Are they concerned that too many people are taking revenue First seats?

If that's the reason, they can always control the inventory.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Why the lowly 2Ps and humble 1Ps haven't been posting...

As a historical 2P who's finally made it to 1P this year, I haven't posted because I haven't been cranked up about CR1's and SWU's - because I don't get them - and probably won't get even close to either the exaulted 0P or 1K much less GS. As a business traveler, UA has extracted $10.4K from me and my company for 59.4K BIS miles - I ain't seeing 1K or GS. I'm not a segment guy - and I tip my hat to them for making elites the hard way.

UDU, while nice, doesn't get me much past the legions of 1Ks and GSs. I just got back from a LAX-IAD RT run - out on Thursday am on what's now UA 950 (the 772) and back on the final Friday flight - UA 925 (this time a A320). I didn't get to the gate early enough to see where I stood on UDU on Thursday but didn't make the XY jump, so no C. Last night, I started at 8th on UDU and ended up at 10th.

So maybe being this close to the T-Day and a Friday return that I didn't make the upgrades - now as a 1P - but even as a 2P/1P so far this year I've batted 10 for 37 segments on UA - ~27%. I've tried to pick flights that had bigger F & C sections but going to bat vs. 1Ps/0Ps/GSs hasn't been terribly successful.

So, the biggest benefit I've had as primarily a 2P has been E+. Only on this trip (my 2nd as a 1P) was I able to access exit row seating options. I've only been able to use the 2 checked bags option once - when travelling with my family. When 2P, I had a big #1 on my boarding passes so at least I got to fight thru the non-elite gate lice.

I'd say that being 6'2", E+ is where I'd like to fly when I can't/don't get to F or C. For now, I'll stick with M+ because of that. However, beyond possibly getting rid of E+, I see UACO screwing with it so that 1) it becomes a marginal value at best if they seriously push GMs to buy by making E- really bad and 2) charging elites for it so that my company says "no we're not paying for that".

Perhaps that's why 2Ps and 1Ps aren't posting - UACO really have the ability to screw us even worse.

CO appears to have a presence and we even have a past UA summer intern that are willing to be part of this community - why can't UA? Especially when it comes to changing what has been one of better parts of UA.

David

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm Reason: unnecessary/personal
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SunLover
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine... No wonder there is so much hubris amongst the tulip crowd; it must be the DEQM promos that make so many think they are king of the world ala Leonardo DeCaprio in Titanic... If 33% of a UA 1K's flight miles were taken during a DEQM promo, their butt in seat miles were the same as a CO Plat.

SunLover
Those that made it with the DEQM promos are what we here in the UA forum deemed "1K lites." Most all of them (myself not included) will roll off the rosters in January 2011. I (as many other domestic "road warrior" types) made/make 1K the old fashioned way...one BIS miles/segs. I, for one, ended 2009 well above 100 segs last year...even without the DEQM promo.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Those that made it with the DEQM promos are what we here in the UA forum deemed "1K lites."
Correction: only the elitists use that derogatory term.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Here's what I don't understand about the changes. First, why is UA deliberately creating uncertainty around both MP and E+? Do they not know that uncertainty creates problems, problems with planning and loyalty?

Second, why the drive to significantly devalue both benefits and miles? The CR1 is just a bone to throw to the bold. New rates for RCC already telegraph a 18% devaluation in miles, just wait until the new award charts are released? My lifetime MM benefits have been pulled back a notch thanks to the new 0P and why again should I continue to shove my money towards an ungrateful behemouth?

Sure, where's the grass greener? Well, if you take out UX, domestic mainline coverage isn't even close to WN or other domestic carriers. I'm a domestic 1K the past 5 years that looks to trade in some international miles every few years. With mile redemtion inflation inevitable, there is some greener grass out there when it comes to domestic mainline flying and UG's. I likely bet on the wrong horse wrt MM bene's. But, you know, it used to be loyalty was appreciated and recognized.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
In one particular year, I probably logged well north of 50 stays at a particular Marriott, in fact I was their number one guest at that hotel/resort. I was there on business and I'd accept any room they had - they were all nice to me and I didn't need a big room I would get lost in. They would at times upgrade me and one time I mentioned that the suite was nice, but the only time I'd really like to have it was the few times my wife was travelling with me. The checkin person, without hesitation, told me to let him know when she was coming down and they would always upgrade me to the suite. I thought that was a really nice touch and they certainly earned my loyalty.

The point is, that's the touch any of these programs can offer that really matter. I'll fly in E+ 100 segments a year (we'll see about 120), but when I take my wife on vacation I want her to be in first class. CR-1s/SWUs just don't cut it. United makes you sweat bullets until the very end for the upgrade. 8 "anything/any fare" upgrades is what would win alot of us over. I just want to be able to take my wife on two great vacations a year, and for that you can heard me like cattle, screw up my reservations, delay my flights, sqeeze me in your tiny seets, ding up my luggage, lecture me about flight safety and take my money (with a fair amount of short notice fares) for 100+ flights a year.

A lot of us don't travel because we want to. We travel for business. But when we want to travel, expecially with others, we want to show them that we can treat them. I've heard a number of guys explain to their wives the reason they can fly in first class on vacation is because of all those business trips they have to be away. It's a small benefit for a lot of lonely nights.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Those that made it with the DEQM promos are what we here in the UA forum deemed "1K lites." Most all of them (myself not included) will roll off the rosters in January 2011. I (as many other domestic "road warrior" types) made/make 1K the old fashioned way...one BIS miles/segs. I, for one, ended 2009 well above 100 segs last year...even without the DEQM promo.
There will, however, be a residual effect. It's possible I'm not the only "1K lite" to come from the ranks of the lowly 2P and, having tasted the forbidden fruit for even a short while, I don't want to go back. If I'd been content to remain a 2P, I could have save a lot of $$$ on air fare this past year, flying *A code shares (which I avoided because, who knows, DEQM could hit again, plus those darned SWUs), or spreading my flying across other airlines.

So United got lots more of my $$$ this year than in the past, and I've decided to make 1P status for 2011 a priority. I thus suggest (humbly, as a future 1P must be!) that the 1P ranks may see some added members they didn't have before, and United may have benefitted significantly as well.

Hopefully my brief intrusion into the world of the Bold 1K didn't cause too many problems. I was pretty well-read (about various 1K issues) ahead of time, and at turned down over 50% of the UDUs I was offered (because I was traveling with other family members not upgraded) so I likely didn't take any more seats in F than I would have been entitled to as a 1P.

All I ask is this- if you see someone who, as they start boarding the red carpet, looks tremendously embarassed and at the last possible moment steps out of the line... well, that might be me. Be kind, smile, tell a small white lie and say "Maybe you'll be back next year."
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prestonh
why is UA deliberately creating uncertainty around both MP and E+?
By making an annoucement regarding MP, they are deliberately reducing uncertainty. The fact that some people can't accept change is what creates uncertainty in their minds.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
By making an annoucement regarding MP, they are deliberately reducing uncertainty. The fact that some people can't accept change is what creates uncertainty in their minds.
Announcing a change one day, then rescinding is a few days later for a year is not certainty, it means they are very uncertain about what they are doing.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
All I ask is this- if you see someone who, as they start boarding the red carpet, looks tremendously embarassed and at the last possible moment steps out of the line... well, that might be me. Be kind, smile, tell a small white lie and say "Maybe you'll be back next year."
You have my word.

Likewise, I hope you'll save me space "on the other side," as I'll be joining you after 2011.

Although...being that on CO's "blue carpet," ALL elites are allowed, I have a feeling that those who make 75k/90seg/1P+ next year will be included on the red carpet...if not all elites. Currently, elite boarding on CO is a complete cluster bomb. Reminds me of the pre-red carpet days 2 years ago.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MMProfessor
Nope. Not even Star Alliance miles count towards lifetime MM status. Below is from the UA web site:

"When you have flown one million lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, you are rewarded with some exclusive benefits including:"
Since when was AA part of Star Alliance?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I just want to point out one thing that has been bothering me. A lot of people are saying that any of the caps whether it be 25/50/100 EQM or 30/60/120 EQS are all rather arbitrary numbers to cut off when recognizing your loyalty, and that the switch to 120 EQS was to align with the 30/60 levels established at the inferior ranks. The only problem I have with that is that to me the only number out of all of the numbers that ever totally made sense was 100 EQS. That was the number for all the travelers out there that 50 weeks of the year, without fail, they do one r/t. That takes some dedication and some persistence. It also means that pretty much 100% of their flying is on UA. At the lower levels I think it is more fair to justify 30/60 as it helps UA retain fliers though one you pass 100 EQS it just seems hard to speculate that a flier is going to jump ship very easily. It is a shame that UA is making it hard for that category of traveler to qualify for 1K.

And just for example, who is more loyal in the following scenario, you decide:
  • A person who flies 50 times a year SFO-ORD on UA
  • A person who flies 8 r/t SFO-HKG gets 1K status, then switches to AA and flies SFO-HKG 8 more times that year and get top AA status and maximizes SWU usage on the two carriers, for a total of 16 r/t

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.