Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: UAGLD AA_MM_GLD CO F9 HHGLD
Thumbs down Pretty Disappointed with this announcement.....

I was all settled in for a mileage run to top off the EQM and hit 1K again, as I didn't get to explore as much of the world through my employment this year as in prior years. I've always saved the CR1's to treat my wife to F going to Hawaii (I know the product is minimalistic compared to Intl. F [ on very rare occasions these days ], but)....

Anyway, while I like the UDU's, the reduction in CR1's is making me think long hard about the MR to top off. I only spend $15K to 20K per year with UA, so its not a huge deal to them if I switch but it seems short sighted of US to target their top flyers with this change and of course the poor folks who hit 1K on segments.

I'm sure questioning my loyalty to UA with this turn of events.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
First step is on my back

Originally Posted by travel.flier
i was upset when i went to sleep thinking we lost 6 cr1/s yr. but i'm happy with the development. as a 1k, you only lose 4 cr1's/yr. but if you do 150k you breakeven. and if you do 200k like me, you actually gain cr1's
I fly just about 150 plus or minus a few. This is a reduction in benefits for a 1K flyer up to 150K, and only EQUAL if you fly 1.5K, and only better if you hit 1.75K. Sorry-- this is a reduction in benefits for 90% of 1K's.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
One suggestion, folks, let's keep the big floods of complaints for the things that matter. If they get the same number of complaints because they try to take away the heated nuts or hot towels in F, they're going to stop listening to us!
Really? In my 10+ years on FT we have reversed a huge number bad decisions by MP, none of which had to do with nuts or towels. If we had listened to the likes of you back then we would have caved on every lousy, bad change and now be left holding nothing. But do tell us when we get to things that matter.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
In regards to CR1s. What was wrong with the old system?
This hasn't been touched on explicitly that much in the however many hundred posts in this thread, but a question worth thinking about. My guess is that there wasn't anything inherently wrong with 1Ks getting 8 CR-1s. The bigger deal was that if CO gave out 8 CR-1s, their revenue model would break. Too many plats that would normally buy YBM fares to get the confirmed upgrade would now just buy the cheapest fare and upgrade. Four RTs per plat where you lost several hundred dollars of revenue would be a problem. But they couldn't take CR-1s away completely, so this is how they made the compromise.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I still don't know exactly what this "private" UA forum is, but it does sound a bit ridiculous.
Many companies have focus groups like this (the old United did, too). They're by invitation, and the members are usually covered by an NDA, so they can't really talk about what goes on behind closed doors. Just let it go. You're not going to get anywhere trying to force the issue.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transpac
Really? In my 10+ years on FT we have reversed a huge number bad decisions by MP, none of which had to do with nuts or towels. If we had listened to the likes of you back then we would have caved on every lousy, bad change and now be left holding nothing. But do tell us when we get to things that matter.
Eh, calm down, I wasn't trying to tell the forum how to drive UA where we want them to go.

I just meant that if thousands of 1K's flood 1Kvoice threatening to go to AA because they take away hot towels, they're not going to listen to the bigger complaints.

I have no intention of silently caving on any change they make to MP.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well, I'm a bit happier, at least the CR-1 change doesn't happen until 2012. And now we can earn 8 CR-1s in the standard way + 2 more at 75k +2 more at 100k + 2 more at 125k next year!

1K members: During 2011, if you are a 1K member based on 2010 activity, you will still be eligible to earn two Regional Upgrades per quarter as you did before. In addition, under the new program changes announced on Nov. 17, you will also receive two more Regional Upgrades when you reach 75,000 EQM/90 EQS and two at every 25,000 EQM/30EQS after that. The quarterly earning process will end on December 31, 2011, and then the new rules will be in effect for 2012.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by booch
i hope everyone doesn't blow all their ammo on the CR1 battle. E+ going away and my seemingly plummeting UDU rate is FAR more concerning to me, and would drive me to change despite my fanfare for UA.
I don't think this is a matter of "blowing ammo." It stands to reason that getting rid of E+ will cause lots of frequent fliers to leave, pure and simple. Whether or not the economics of that work for the airline is up to them to figure out; I would assume that's the single biggest operational decision they have to make vis-a-vis retention of elites and the unified carrier, and I find it hard to believe that they'd be dumb enough to announce the end of E+ (or that they're phasing it out on domestic, or whatever) and then go back a few days later after the inevitable flyertalk freak-out.

Having said that, the ruckus over the CR-1 thing seems a little silly to me. The airline giveth, and the airline taketh away. The airline also controls your ability to spend; they can issue twice as many, and reduce the supply of available confirmable upgrades by half, and we'll only have anecdotal evidence (gathered in the midst of a merger) to try and figure out what's going on. It may very well be that somebody in an office somewhere convinced the powers that be that it would be much easier for them to reduce the supply of available confirmable seats (death by a thousand cuts in the dark, to combine two terrible analogies) than it is to reduce the supply of instruments (chopping off your head in the bright light of day.)
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
One suggestion, folks, let's keep the big floods of complaints for the things that matter. If they get the same number of complaints because they try to take away the heated nuts or hot towels in F, they're going to stop listening to us!
Crazy as it may sound, it seems to me that FTers on this board are (at least collectively) a pretty rational bunch. Sure, we complain all kinds of little things -- where would we be without rants? -- but we don't go ballistic about minor things that impact few people. You show me a thread with hundreds of compaint posts and tens of thousands of views, and I'd say you're looking at something that by definition "matters." A quick review of the top threads of all time by posts shows the following "complaint" topics (in descending order of # of posts):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-blocking.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hanges-ua.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html

This thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pay-deal.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cies-fees.html

I'd say these are pretty significant topics.

I'm not sure I agree - I think 2011 is going to be swimming in CR-1's. Yes, there were no DEQM promos in 2009, but those 2009 promos created a lot of 2010 1K's, and they've been earning CR-1's all year, including this quarter. I think you're going to see a huge swell of CR-1's in use through Q3 of 2012, and maybe a lull, before that year's 1K's start earning them at 75k+.
Hmmm. Good point. I would add, though, that the priority of many of these CR-1s is going to drop on Feb. 1 when many of these 1K lites lose their status.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:57 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I agree. Someone must be listening...
Flyertalk = small but mighty voice (not the only voice but still a might voice )

Originally Posted by UNITED863
Agreed.

I'm actually a little surprised United caved on the CR1s for 1K's next year.
see my comment above

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
sbm12 posted a nice overall synopsis of the chat tonight, not going into too much specifics.

I got the same read from it tonight, that MP execs are willing to listen and could make some adjustments.

And by the way, pretty much every comment/question/critique/rant/whatever that has been posted in this thread was brought up.
Bolding mine: See my comment above (redux)
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:01 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Many companies have focus groups like this (the old United did, too). They're by invitation, and the members are usually covered by an NDA, so they can't really talk about what goes on behind closed doors. Just let it go. You're not going to get anywhere trying to force the issue.
Great post by the OP.

Seriously, a simple search would yield this thread, coincidentally started by mahasamatman.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...community.html

It's private.
It's by invitation only.
You are required to sign a NDA.
It's run by United, not FT.
I know several FTers in the UA forum who are members - you probably don't because they don't discuss it.

How much simpler can this be?

You weren't invited.

Gees, people. Get over it.

Any more posts about this topic in this thread will be summarily deleted. We are not going to babysit this thread.

You have been warned.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
SPOT ON+1

Originally Posted by dsquared37
There will no doubt be more fights ahead. Bigger? We don't know that yet. Are you suggesting we should have just sucked this up and bided our time?

In the long run the CR1 changes will be as stated just a few days ago, in the meantime we've bought some time to fill the coffers.

Each battle is important.
We fought a fast fight and can claim victory at least temporarily. I agree we need to choose our battles carefully. Keep delivering the message about economy plus or it will not appear on CO aircraft which are now substitutable on all routes without prior notice. I cannot wait to hear about the first time an elite gets pressed into a 31" economy seat after selecting an E+ seat....
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by danBfree
I would assume that's the single biggest operational decision they have to make vis-a-vis retention of elites and the unified carrier, and I find it hard to believe that they'd be dumb enough to announce the end of E+ (or that they're phasing it out on domestic, or whatever) and then go back a few days later after the inevitable flyertalk freak-out.
That's my thinking as well. Decisions about the future of int'l F and E+ are something that I wouldn't expect to be reversible by a flood of posts here or messages sent to 1KVoice. If they take E+ away, they know how this will go over here. In the case of CR1s they may have underestimated how much many folks here are attached to their continued existence, and compromising on it as they did is ultimately easy to implement and not exactly costly (they control availability of upgradable seats, as you pointed out).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by boolean64
This hasn't been touched on explicitly that much in the however many hundred posts in this thread, but a question worth thinking about. My guess is that there wasn't anything inherently wrong with 1Ks getting 8 CR-1s. The bigger deal was that if CO gave out 8 CR-1s, their revenue model would break. Too many plats that would normally buy YBM fares to get the confirmed upgrade would now just buy the cheapest fare and upgrade. Four RTs per plat where you lost several hundred dollars of revenue would be a problem. But they couldn't take CR-1s away completely, so this is how they made the compromise.
I think you nailed it with this statement; I imagine that UA is planning moving to the CO "instant" upgrade scheme and CR1s negate that model.

I'm betting the next "enhancement" for 2012 for the combined program will be ZERO CR1s and "instant" upgrades (maybe instant upgrade 2H2011, and bye-bye CR1s in 2012, and amount of complaining will bring them back).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
I'm betting the next "enhancement" for 2012 for the combined program will be ZERO CR1s and "instant" upgrades (maybe instant upgrade 2H2011, and bye-bye CR1s in 2012, and amount of complaining will bring them back).
My guess is a variation on that. They'll reduce the CR-1's (maybe 2 for every 50k miles starting at 100k) but they'll more than likely introduce reduced EQM for lower fares (S, T, K, L) making the target harder to reach as well. Then it's a natural progression towards instant upgrades for YBM since those are also the same people racking up full EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.