Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: 1K; HH Diamond; HGP Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Silver
Unhappy EQS = elite qualifying suckers?

So at 95 segments, and will hit 1k in a couple of weeks... The increase to 120 segments was not welcome news.

I've probably read the first 5-6 and the last 2-3 pages of this thread, so if someone else made this point (and kudos to those who have read all nearly 900 posts -- and get a life) forgive me.

I did see a couple of posts where they pointed out the 25K miles = 30 segments rubric would seem to make the 100K miles = 120 segments more "fair" ...

Well, aside from setting up all those that fly those miles (and more) for the upcoming increase in requirements for 1K to 120K miles (ala other airlines), I think United has done something pretty unfair here... Basically, my point is that there are other ways to earn EQM than BIS miles. I'm not aware of any credit card promotions, points, etc. that offer EQS -- but I'm happy to be educated!

Segment folks really do earn it the hard way, and I've also seen many sympathetic responses from FAs and pilots when I explain that I basically take the bus back and forth from O'Hare to Philly each week. Which is like a lot of other short-hop folks around the country. I have tried hard to stay loyal to United, even when I probably could have gotten a cheaper fare (and MP miles) on USScareways. I wish that United's UDU system was sophisticated enough to track frequent destination bus-flyers/commuters like me (i.e., back and forth every week to the same place) to throw us a bone once in a while. As it is, the planets have to be aligned on the sixth Tuesday of the 13th month for there to be a snowball's chance at a UDU if you're a 1P or even a 1K on a lower fare.

OK, whining over. I guess I should just take my exit row (only if I book early enough in advance) and double miles, and call it a day... But a 20% increase in segments to re-qualify for 1K just sucks, big time!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GlencoeGuy
So at 95 segments, and will hit 1k in a couple of weeks... The increase to 120 segments was not welcome news.

I've probably read the first 5-6 and the last 2-3 pages of this thread, so if someone else made this point (and kudos to those who have read all nearly 900 posts -- and get a life) forgive me.

I did see a couple of posts where they pointed out the 25K miles = 30 segments rubric would seem to make the 100K miles = 120 segments more "fair" ...

Well, aside from setting up all those that fly those miles (and more) for the upcoming increase in requirements for 1K to 120K miles (ala other airlines), I think United has done something pretty unfair here... Basically, my point is that there are other ways to earn EQM than BIS miles. I'm not aware of any credit card promotions, points, etc. that offer EQS -- but I'm happy to be educated!

Segment folks really do earn it the hard way, and I've also seen many sympathetic responses from FAs and pilots when I explain that I basically take the bus back and forth from O'Hare to Philly each week. Which is like a lot of other short-hop folks around the country. I have tried hard to stay loyal to United, even when I probably could have gotten a cheaper fare (and MP miles) on USScareways. I wish that United's UDU system was sophisticated enough to track frequent destination bus-flyers/commuters like me (i.e., back and forth every week to the same place) to throw us a bone once in a while. As it is, the planets have to be aligned on the sixth Tuesday of the 13th month for there to be a snowball's chance at a UDU if you're a 1P or even a 1K on a lower fare.

OK, whining over. I guess I should just take my exit row (only if I book early enough in advance) and double miles, and call it a day... But a 20% increase in segments to re-qualify for 1K just sucks, big time!
You know, it seems as though UA restoring the CR1 info was all that most MPers were looking for. For us 1K on segment guys, I'm getting the feeling that we're on our own here. :-/
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
UA already took away segment padding, why no love for the EQS guy now?

Originally Posted by ExCrew
You know, it seems as though UA restoring the CR1 info was all that most MPers were looking for. For us 1K on segment guys, I'm getting the feeling that we're on our own here. :-/
You're not on your own; you have empathy from me and many others who can't believe that UA would discourage the true road warrior, the person who doesn't get a chance to "settle in" for a long flight but rather gets (air)bussed around, likely flying a much higher percentage on UX, and has already had UA strip out relatively-easy segment padding by eliminating the ability to add segments without adding much cost (no more SJC-SBA-LAX, for example, and even SFO-LAX-LAS is rarely viable anymore).

Who are the legions of unworthy EQS 1K qualifiers? What did they do to deserve this? In what way are they detrimental to the bottom line?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The EQS's need to keep pounding this issue. There are too many of us the sit in the small can. Suggest pounding 1Kvoice?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
lainy - One of the more rational posts / responses so far! If UA has changed their incentives in such a way that they no longer have as much value as UA's competitors' incentives, then by all means switch to a new airline!
You're too kind Thank you!

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
See you around SFO sometime (I rarely travel via SJC) - I'll be the guy in the UA 1K line or the AA Plat line!
Same here! I have a feeling we'll rub elbows in the new T2 come Spring 2011. I also plan to start using Virgin America in 2011 for my SFO-LAX hops unless AA has comparable pricing. Too bad Virgin discontinued SFO-SNA. At $39-$59 ow on a last minute fare, they were one of my favorites over the more expensive SJC-SNA on Southwest. SFO-SNA on UA is just WAYYY to pricey at any time.

I feel for you and others in your situation. I wholeheartedly agree that 100 BIS segments is the harshest way to qualify for 1K. Now if only UA had thought to equate 25,000 BIS miles to 25 segments instead of 30, that would be a great way for UA to show LUV to their loyal segment commuters. I guess UA hasn't gotten the message that 1K members (like myself) have already defected to Southwest and Virgin for our intra-California flights. Doesn't make a difference to me since I don't requalify on segments however UA needs to remember that dissatisfied segment qualifiers have a greater incentive to defect given the choice and higher requal needed.

Last edited by lainys; Nov 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
You're not on your own; you have empathy from me and many others who can't believe that UA would discourage the true road warrior, the person who doesn't get a chance to "settle in" for a long flight but rather gets (air)bussed around, likely flying a much higher percentage on UX, and has already had UA strip out relatively-easy segment padding by eliminating the ability to add segments without adding much cost (no more SJC-SBA-LAX, for example, and even SFO-LAX-LAS is rarely viable anymore).

Who are the legions of unworthy EQS 1K qualifiers? What did they do to deserve this? In what way are they detrimental to the bottom line?
^ I've never come anywhere near 100 segments, but like MJ I have tremendous respect for you folks and wish UA weren't trying to be so discouraging about your making 1K. I wonder whether its move to the 120-segment requirement is at least partly based on its figuring that you're a captive audience. Unlike some folks who get the miles through transcontinental and/or international trips, some of you might have less flexibility and fewer alternatives for many of the places you go.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ I'm happy UA relented on the CR-1 decision today.

Classy move, United.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Basically, my point is that there are other ways to earn EQM than BIS miles. I'm not aware of any credit card promotions, points, etc. that offer EQS -- but I'm happy to be educated!
10,000 "Choices" (via UA VISA card) can be converted into 1000 EQM or 1 EQS. And at least in the past (didn't pay attention this year as there wasn't anything to be gained) the Elite Choice program offered carry-over EQMs and EQS (e.g., 5000 EQM/5 EQS).

Not saying that because I disagree with your overall message, though. 100 EQS sounds plenty painful to me.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Remember, 2 sides to any argument. Many have posted that UA is attacking, discriminating against/penalizing the 1K who gets it on segments. So why should the 1k on segments be the anomaly to all the other people who get 1P, and 2P on segments, which is in the 30/25k miles ratio per tier? It was fair to use that method for everyone up until this point where the 1k on segments had an exception to the ratio, now they fit the exact pattern that others have, and it is somehow unfair to them? This logic defies logic. They are standardizing everyone, eliminating an outlier to the standard formula, and it is somehow unfair. Look at "fair" in the dictionary, one of the uses is "without irregularity or unevenness". It seems to me that it was unfair to some before, but now fits the definition.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't feel good when you are given irregular treatment and it benefits you (i.e. teacher's pet) and then you get a new situation where equality is practiced (new grade, new teacher, no pets.) Anytime an advantage is taken away, it feels bad, but that doesn't make it unfair, discriminatory, or being picked on. I hear your pain, but it isn't anything irrational or unfair, it's just that change, even evolution, doesn't always benefit everyone equally.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expanding the "fairness" discussion I guess one would say that 1P, 2Ps should get some fraction of 1K benefits, like 1 or 2 SWU's and 2 or 3 CR-1's? That would remove any irregularity or unevenness.

As a 1K I love being the "teacher's pet".

Apologies if I come across as overly pedantic, or strident.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by transpac
This of course can be worked-around by simply removing your MP# from the record, after clearing any upgrades, and then retroactively claiming mileage credit, near the end of December or in early January.
Of course then you would lose all the benefits of UDU, early boarding, economy plus, etc. etc.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reddirt14
That's a new take on the marketing model you learn in good ole MBA school.
Law school in Smsks case.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:17 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by transpac
Expanding the "fairness" discussion I guess one would say that 1P, 2Ps should get some fraction of 1K benefits, like 1 or 2 SWU's and 2 or 3 CR-1's? That would remove any irregularity or unevenness.

As a 1K I love being the "teacher's pet".

Apologies if I come across as overly pedantic, or strident.
Sure, we can go there...then we would only get them a 1/3 or 2/3 off on E+, bag fees...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Because it's the SW (Segment Warrior) today, could be no 500 mile min next

Originally Posted by fastair
Remember, 2 sides to any argument. Many have posted that UA is attacking, discriminating against/penalizing the 1K who gets it on segments. So why should the 1k on segments be the anomaly to all the other people who get 1P, and 2P on segments, which is in the 30/25k miles ratio per tier? It was fair to use that method for everyone up until this point where the 1k on segments had an exception to the ratio, now they fit the exact pattern that others have, and it is somehow unfair to them? This logic defies logic. They are standardizing everyone, eliminating an outlier to the standard formula, and it is somehow unfair. Look at "fair" in the dictionary, one of the uses is "without irregularity or unevenness". It seems to me that it was unfair to some before, but now fits the definition.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't feel good when you are given irregular treatment and it benefits you (i.e. teacher's pet) and then you get a new situation where equality is practiced (new grade, new teacher, no pets.) Anytime an advantage is taken away, it feels bad, but that doesn't make it unfair, discriminatory, or being picked on. I hear your pain, but it isn't anything irrational or unfair, it's just that change, even evolution, doesn't always benefit everyone equally.
You're right, it's not fair to the 2P & 1P crowd either. But nothing changed there, and if they (of which I will soon again be a subset of) wish to not complain about it, that's not reason for the 1K to go silent.

Besides, the 1K SW (Segment Warrior) is a special breed. It's not that tough making 2P, or even 1P. Even at 60 segments, 1P could still represent some leisure/low-fare passengers. 100+ segments and you're defining someone who's seen more than life's fair share of delays, cancellations, security lines and various other indignities. It's not easy getting there. And almost by definition it's going to be a business traveler.

I get your point about making the ratios consistent, but if you were to consider each subsequent level of status to relative accomplishment (pain?) on their elite journey, the difference between 60 & 100 segments likely separates the men from the boys as much as 50k vs 100k miles. Aside from that, an even 1 segment to 1000 mile ratio seems pretty reasonable. How did UA come up with something slightly-different in the first place?

If it would make you feel better to live in a neat, orderly & consistent world, by all means lower 2P to 25 segments and 1P to 50. As I said earlier, I don't see where the segment flyers should be any less desirable to UA than the high milers. In the days of cheap added segments, maybe you could have made a case otherwise, but those days are gone.

OK, but maybe here's the real reason we're so scared of UA taking away segment worth. Are we going to see another attempt to allow only actual mileage again for flights under 500 miles?

Some of this, of course, is my own fault. When I left the ranks of the lowly 2P and temporarily became a Bold 1K, I lost track of my roots. I started hanging out too much with my 1K friends and have neglected to stand up for the little people (reference to Blade Runner- if you're not 1K, you're little people). It is time for me to stop worrying about redeeming my last 4 SWUs and look out for my own kind.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^ I'm happy UA relented on the CR-1 decision today.

Classy move, United.
Classy would have been not doing it in the first place. Giving back is marketing fraud at best. If they can afford to give them back they didn't need to do it in the first place, and only did it so they could look less trashy for the rest of the "enhancements" as well as what will likely come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.