Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by giggy
Seems to me that its not about us. Its passifying CO plats who are in limbo. Frankly they should just keep MP as it is and tell the 75k CO "top tier" to piss-off. they are all hub captives where are they gonna go?? they've been riding the gravy train too long. Sheesh DEQM = 37.5 k for top tier ?? give me a break. yet it seems they want to ram nonepass down our throats.
Agreed. Seems as though SmisCO subscribes to the "it's not broke...let's fix it" credo.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mrswirl
I remember lilfe as a 2P and was 1P for many years.... even then I never understood why the EQS ratio was 30/60/100 instead of 25/50/100.

If you think about it, there is absolutely no correlation of EQM to EQS. One is a measure of distance and the other frequency. It's like Hertz vs. Watts in measuring electricity - they're both related to the same topic but totally different units of measurements.

If UACO really wanted to squeeze in a 1P+ tier the "most fair" way would be to standardize the tiers to 25/50/75/100 across the board for both EQMs and EQS.

It seems to me that the only internal discussion was centered around how "90 is too close to 100" so they raised the later instead of thinking through the ramifications to those impacted. The message it sends is: "we only care about the mileage flyer. The rest of you can get bent."

120 segments is a really high bar to clear for almost all but the most dedicated of segment flyers. 100 is tough enough as it is. I've said it before: if you think it's "easy" to make 1K on segments then you've obviously never done it.
using your own logic that eqm has no correlation to eqs, there is no logical reason that 1 eqs should equal 1,000 eqm. ie, no logical reason that eqs should be 25/50/75/100. in fact, by your logic, it coudl be 30/60/90/120 or it could be 10/20/30/40 or it could be 31/62/93/124.

i actually agree with 120 eqs. i never understood why the 1k level got a dicount from 30/60/120 to begin with. and yes, i've been a segment flier for many years. i first qualified for exp at 101 segments and did it on segments for several years before switching to ua when i qualified on 103 segments.

honestly, for the small segment of the population that is ft'ers, you can add in 20 segments over the course of a year for zero cost by being diligent about following the nonsensical ft ways.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you think about it, there is absolutely no correlation of EQM to EQS. One is a measure of distance and the other frequency. It's like Hertz vs. Watts in measuring electricity - they're both related to the same topic but totally different units of measurements.
Sortof. There is average stage length - both operated and flown - so there are some ways to correlate the two.

If UACO really wanted to squeeze in a 1P+ tier the "most fair" way would be to standardize the tiers to 25/50/75/100 across the board for both EQMs and EQS.
If they aren't correlated then why is that the "most fair" way?

120 segments is a really high bar to clear for almost all but the most dedicated of segment flyers. 100 is tough enough as it is. I've said it before: if you think it's "easy" to make 1K on segments then you've obviously never done it.
Very few people make 1K on segments. It is a very small fraction of the overall 1K population.

There are two ways to look at segment-based qualification:
  1. Some are going to be folks who find 4 hop transcon runs or the like. Generally not as profitable to the company as someone who just flies the non-stop of single connection.
  2. Some are going to be non-hub residents who connect on all their itineraries. In many cases those customers are paying lower fares than the hub captives. Again, not as profitable per segment flown than the folks who are connecting less.
  3. Some are going to be flying very expensive point-to-point routes and are going to be tremendously profitable to the company.
If #3 is a much smaller population than 1 & 2 (personally I believe this is the case but it is just a gut instinct, not something I can back up with proper data) then the net effect to the company is that alienating #3 might actually be a profitable move.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
With regard to segments vs. miles, When I lived in LA and traveled on transcon's from LAX I never cared about segments. Now living in Springfield MO and using SGF as my home airport, segments matter as a predominantly domestic traveler. Going from 100 to 120 segments to retain 1K is a big deal for me. I can pack on the miles by going through ORD to go west instead of DEN or the opposite going east and probably qualify on miles in the future if necessary.

I usually hit 100K miles by the end of the year anyhow but its always close and I travel enough for work to not want to do any pure runs.

While some may say that 1K's on segments are a small group or unprofitable, the change impacts me as an individual and certainly others. Look at some fares from SGF to anywhere and you will see high $.

To the "miles" people who have posted comments of a dismissive nature to the "segment" people like myself, please show some sympathy / support.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
[QUOTE=LarkSFO;15210114] The consistent reference to 'lowly 2p's'...)

Just FYI- the "lowly 2p" thing started as a joke by an actual lowly 2p... don't recall who, but someone can probably chime in on that. Looking at your join date it was WAY before you arrived here... Things are not always as they seem.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sfkittee
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The consistent reference to 'lowly 2p's'...)
Just FYI- the "lowly 2p" thing started as a joke by an actual lowly 2p... don't recall who, but someone can probably chime in on that. Looking at your join date it was WAY before you arrived here... Things are not always as they seem.
Don't forget Humble 1P
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by u600213
With regard to segments vs. miles, When I lived in LA and traveled on transcon's from LAX I never cared about segments. Now living in Springfield MO and using SGF as my home airport, segments matter as a predominantly domestic traveler. Going from 100 to 120 segments to retain 1K is a big deal for me. I can pack on the miles by going through ORD to go west instead of DEN or the opposite going east and probably qualify on miles in the future if necessary.

I usually hit 100K miles by the end of the year anyhow but its always close and I travel enough for work to not want to do any pure runs.

While some may say that 1K's on segments are a small group or unprofitable, the change impacts me as an individual and certainly others. Look at some fares from SGF to anywhere and you will see high $.

To the "miles" people who have posted comments of a dismissive nature to the "segment" people like myself, please show some sympathy / support.
Sadly, this whole debacle reminds me of the "fight" I put up when UA decided to revoke 500 mile minimums. My flights between SMF and SFO credited at 86 miles, leaving me a 414 mile deficiency per trip. I clearly remember the dismissive nature at that time of many of those on FT who flew long hauls, even going so far as to state they were glad, as there would be less 1Ks to compete against.
Apparently, the "if it doesn't effect me, I'm not bothered" attitude is rearing its apathetic head once again.
Luckily, on the 500 mile minimums, UA caved to our reasonings. In this new era of COunited, I truly don't think anyone at Whacker gives a damn anymore. Sadly, I think this will stick. Likewise, it's a harbinger of things to come.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
It seems that Mr Smisek and his cohorts have really misjudged the outcome of their efforts to CO'ise UA, producing a very strange mongrel which annoys both UA and CO FF'ers.

If he was going to gut UA and make it a virtual clone of the current CO, surely he would have been much better off to take the Delta approach, where one "partner" just gets completely obliterated. In that way, you are only pissing off half of your FF'ers, rather than everyone.

It will surely end in tears (yes, I know, I've said that before).

And, on a slightly related issue, it strikes me that if most UA elites weren't tied to UA though their employment, this whole merger would be dead in the water.

Just a few cents worth form me (who obviously has no idea about anything).

Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Sadly, this whole debacle reminds me of the "fight" I put up when UA decided to revoke 500 mile minimums. My flights between SMF and SFO credited at 86 miles, leaving me a 414 mile deficiency per trip. I clearly remember the dismissive nature at that time of many of those on FT who flew long hauls, even going so far as to state they were glad, as there would be less 1Ks to compete against.
Apparently, the "if it doesn't effect me, I'm not bothered" attitude is rearing its apathetic head once again.
Luckily, on the 500 mile minimums, UA caved to our reasonings. In this new era of COunited, I truly don't think anyone at Whacker gives a damn anymore. Sadly, I think this will stick. Likewise, it's a harbinger of things to come.
Makes me think of the triple RDM days (can't remember the promo) a few years ago when I flew SMF-SFO-LAX-SNA after SMF-LAX got cancelled. Good times.

120 EQM is brutal but living in a UX town gives me 4 or 6 segments weekly. If I stay employed and don't end up with a gig in any of the hub cities I should hit 120EQM. Nonetheless, this is a big and I don't look forward to the next MP-NonePass program updates. Gunning for EQM next year for sure. I wish my hometown had AA presence so I could consider the great AA EXP movement in the other thread.

Last edited by chicoflyer#1; Nov 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Grace B
And, on a slightly related issue, it strikes me that if most UA elites weren't tied to UA though their employment, this whole merger would be dead in the water.
If most UA elites were tied to UA through their employment why would UA offer a FF program at all? Or offer arguably an above average program (before the merger)? For the record I'm tied to UA because of geography. I'm all about schedule, schedule and schedule....
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:17 pm

I hear you

[QUOTE=sfkittee;15217222]
The consistent reference to 'lowly 2p's'...)

Cool, I hear you... I am a relative newcomer who is probably talking too much... (However, I do tend to sense some stratification in the community though....)

Mike Jacubowski (sp?) is/was a lowly 2p - Did he originate it?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As far as I recall, yes.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
[QUOTE=LarkSFO;15218470]
Originally Posted by sfkittee

Cool, I hear you... I am a relative newcomer who is probably talking too much... (However, I do tend to sense some stratification in the community though....)

Yes, it was me. Close enough on the spelling... Jacoubowsky.

I had coined
curious 3P
lowly 2P
Humble 1P
BOLD 1K
MIGHTY UGS

I was the 2P cat-herder for some time, doing my best to keep expectations in line, explaining how things worked, preaching respect for the real iron-butt flyers who keep the planes up in the air.

And then something weird happened. I flew too much last year, and then UA added DEQM (twice, although I didn't fly once during the initial DEQM period), and with a mileage run became a 1K. I always signed my posts with lowly 2P when that was my station in life, but I never really felt I earned the right to consider myself a BOLD 1K. I also had, for a time, all of the elite titles listed in my sig, but was asked by a couple of seasoned FTers to remove them, because they were distracting as people scrolled down a page.

Next year, I'll hopefully be able to report on the Humble 1P experience. ^
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
[QUOTE=Mike Jacoubowsky;15219594]
Yes, it was me. Close enough on the spelling... Jacoubowsky.

I had coined
curious 3P
lowly 2P
Humble 1P
BOLD 1K
MIGHTY UGS

I was the 2P cat-herder for some time, doing my best to keep expectations in line, explaining how things worked, preaching respect for the real iron-butt flyers who keep the planes up in the air.

And then something weird happened. I flew too much last year, and then UA added DEQM (twice, although I didn't fly once during the initial DEQM period), and with a mileage run became a 1K. I always signed my posts with lowly 2P when that was my station in life, but I never really felt I earned the right to consider myself a BOLD 1K. I also had, for a time, all of the elite titles listed in my sig, but was asked by a couple of seasoned FTers to remove them, because they were distracting as people scrolled down a page.

Next year, I'll hopefully be able to report on the Humble 1P experience. ^
Sorry- still getting used to touch pad on this new Air....
With all your status bouncing you're becoming more and more invaluable! How about leapfrogging up to Mighty UGS for 2012?

Last edited by sfkittee; Nov 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm Reason: sticky fingers
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
[QUOTE=sfkittee;15219688]
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Sorry- still getting used to touch pad on this new Air....
With all your status bouncing you're becoming more and more invaluable! How about leapfrogging up to Mighty UGS for 2012?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.