Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
That's interesting and ive never seen it myself. Could've been some freight or mail that wasn't properly inputted to the CLP. Ive seen where the weights of the mail were quite clearly incorrect, so they hold it off altogether for it to be reweighed. Though it doesn't make sense that it'd be noticed after already loaded and the plane pushed back.

Hard to imagine they would remove a whole can of bags that were supposed to be on that flight. Especially a domestic flight that likely wasn't heavy on freight/mail, where w&b could be an issue and there is no PPBM. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they loaded a can of bags that were for a different flight onto that plane, then realized it when those bags were missing for their correct flight. That's something you certainly bring a plane back for, though I've never heard of something like that happening, and itd be a colossal screwup for sure. That's only my best guess, though.
The container probably had dry ice in it, & it conflicted with the live animal in the bulk pit

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 14, 2017 at 10:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 15, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BBFstAir
The container probably had dry ice in it, & it conflicted with the live animal in the bulk pit

the container was removed due to late staging. looks like the container was empty, but the ramp staged too many ULDs for the flight

Last edited by runner450; May 15, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old May 15, 2017, 9:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LarryJ
When it is a "climb/descend and maintain" clearance they expect ~1000fpm or greater. Sometimes they will specify greater.

When it is at pilot's discretion it is up to the pilots when to descend and at what rate. The only restriction is that once you've reported departing an altitude or flight level you can not return to it.

On arrivals, we will fly a VNAV profile if the ATC clearance allows it. If they descend us early we'll initially descend around 1000-1500 fpm until intercepting the VNAV profile.
Thank you ^ and I guess my watch was about right on the "climb and maintain"
Old May 15, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
ETOPS Crew?

So here's a question. Sitting at gate EWR/C103, and looking out the window, the Tug, maintenance truck and baggage loader are all labeled "ETOPS Crew"... what's the difference between ETOPS and non-ETOPS GSE? Last I checked, nobody goes swimming if the baggage belt stops working. :-)
Old May 15, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by runner450
the container was removed due to late staging. looks like the container was empty, but the ramp staged too many ULDs for the flight

very cool insight. thanks for posting!
Old May 15, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by runner450

I guess that explains how they could get that container out so quickly. Thanks for the explanation!
Old May 30, 2017, 12:38 pm

I have a question about what pilots are allowed to do for kids.

Granted I don't fly a ton, but I haven't seen this in years. Do pilots still allow kids to check out cockpits? They still hand out wings? What other cool stuff are pilots allowed to do for kids?

I have someone in my neighborhood who's a United Reserve pilot for the 787. On the off chance that he gets assigned to our flight, he mentioned in passing that he might be able to let my kids check out the cockpit. Was just wondering what other cool things there might be.

And how does "open time" work? He says he doesn't get assigned flights because he's a reserve pilot, but if it's in "open time", he'll try and pick it up.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codex57
I have a question about what pilots are allowed to do for kids.

Granted I don't fly a ton, but I haven't seen this in years. Do pilots still allow kids to check out cockpits? They still hand out wings? What other cool stuff are pilots allowed to do for kids?

I have someone in my neighborhood who's a United Reserve pilot for the 787. On the off chance that he gets assigned to our flight, he mentioned in passing that he might be able to let my kids check out the cockpit. Was just wondering what other cool things there might be.

And how does "open time" work? He says he doesn't get assigned flights because he's a reserve pilot, but if it's in "open time", he'll try and pick it up.
I look forward to a proper pilot response, but in my experience, pilots are allowed to let 'kids of all ages' (i.e. anyone) check out the cockpit during boarding.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by codex57
Do pilots still allow kids to check out cockpits? They still hand out wings? What other cool stuff are pilots allowed to do for kids?
We have kids in the cockpit all the time during boarding or deplaning. Usually put them in one of the seats and let the mom or dad get pictures.

We have pilot wings, passport (activity) books, and airplane trading cards that we can hand out to them.

Had a young teenager, a month or two ago, out of SXM who knew so much about the 737 that I thought he'd been through ground school! He even knew to get a window seat on the right side so he could see the people on Maho Beach as we taxied onto the runway!

And how does "open time" work?
"Open time" are trips that don't yet have a pilot assigned to one, or more, of the required positions. Line-holders can pick up open time on their days off to increase their pay for the month. Reserves can pick up open trips the day before the trip starts on their reserve days. This lets those who want to fly fly (commuters) while those who'd rather not fly (locals) stay on reserve.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
Question!

I'm very much not a "kid" but I have one remaining UD 747 flight and I want to see the cockpit before they're retired.... How exactly do I approach to ask?
Old May 30, 2017, 7:16 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by warrenw
Question!

I'm very much not a "kid" but I have one remaining UD 747 flight and I want to see the cockpit before they're retired.... How exactly do I approach to ask?
My typical approach is walk up, say hello and ask if you can come in. I've never been told no. Don't forget to bring your phone and get some photos. And you can also ask if they have a card for the plane.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:42 pm

If you ask one of the FA's they're usually more than happy to introduce you to the flight deck crew.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
Question!

I'm a big kid and asked to check out the 787 deck on my first ride (after landing). Pilot was more than accommodating and pointed out a few features like the HUD (heads up display).
Old May 30, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Ive flown abou 4 times a month for the past 2 years, and ask to chat with the pilots half the time. I can't ever think of the pilot saying no, though some times the FAs are a bit pushy about getting me in my seat.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:51 pm

I will always let any kid, no matter the age, visit the cockpit before push or after block in. We've handed out wings and had parents take pics of kids in our seats, and gotten pics of the whole family on the seats, just in the first two days of my current four day trip I'm on right now.

I'm always happy to do it!

FAB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.