FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
United Pilot Q & A thread

Hoping one of our resident pilot friends...or anyone else with the knowledge...can help me with a curiosity.

During taxi at CVG this week, I noticed these numerical markers with green lights that I haven't seen at other airports before. Snapped a quick pic (through the grime and scratches on the window). IIRC, the lights on the markers were both green, and alternated back and forth.

What are these for...?

Thanks.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hoping one of our resident pilot friends...or anyone else with the knowledge...can help me with a curiosity.

During taxi at CVG this week, I noticed these numerical markers with green lights that I haven't seen at other airports before. Snapped a quick pic (through the grime and scratches on the window). IIRC, the lights on the markers were both green, and alternated back and forth.
Those are a bit unusual...

Those are status lights for the de-ice pads by the DHL ramp. They apparently signal that the underground deice pumps are operating/operational. I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Those are a bit unusual...

Those are status lights for the de-ice pads by the DHL ramp. They apparently signal that the underground deice pumps are operating/operational. I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Ah, thanks. Appreciate the info.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Ah, thanks. Appreciate the info.
I enjoyed readings (parts of) this PDF:

http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/Chapman.pdf

On page 14 there is a picture of similar signs / green lights inside the deicing pad area.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
I enjoyed readings (parts of) this PDF:

http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/Chapman.pdf

On page 14 there is a picture of similar signs / green lights inside the deicing pad area.
Wow. Very interesting read. Thanks for providing that.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
This is more of a question for an FA but I'm betting a Pilot knows the answer.
When I am sitting up front I can see what the FA is doing. After closing (or just prior to opening) the door, she says "cross check, prepare for all call". My understanding was that "cross check" means someone else checks that she completed her job (arming or disarming the door). Then I will hear "cross check complete". However, I often will hear this when there is only one FA up front. How does a FA cross check herself?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
This is more of a question for an FA but I'm betting a Pilot knows the answer.
When I am sitting up front I can see what the FA is doing. After closing (or just prior to opening) the door, she says "cross check, prepare for all call". My understanding was that "cross check" means someone else checks that she completed her job (arming or disarming the door). Then I will hear "cross check complete". However, I often will hear this when there is only one FA up front. How does a FA cross check herself?
"Cross check complete" is usually a UAX thing. It's no longer procedure on mainline (if it ever was...). On 3 FA planes (73G, a319/320s), the lead/purser will arm 1L/1R and the FA standing at row 1 for the safety demo will crosscheck. Of course, one can (and does when the situation requires) crosscheck themselves by taking a step back and checking the arming indicators a second time.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fezzington
"Cross check complete" is usually a UAX thing. It's no longer procedure on mainline (if it ever was...). On 3 FA planes (73G, a319/320s), the lead/purser will arm 1L/1R and the FA standing at row 1 for the safety demo will crosscheck. Of course, one can (and does when the situation requires) crosscheck themselves by taking a step back and checking the arming indicators a second time.
I do recall seeing something like this on UAX and on mainline because the thought has crossed my head several times (how was the cross check done with one person). Maybe not the same words, but definitely one FA in front between the time the door is shut and the call is made. Yes, I do seem to recall that eventually a second FA come up front prior to take off. I guess the second FA might do the check later (after the call) or the first FA just thinks it over in her head. Ofcourse now that you bring up UAX, there are many planes with just one FA. I don't even know of those have exit slides being so low.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I notice on some UAX flights, the FA will actually use a small flashlight to check some detail of the door. Pretty sure on E145s, but perhaps also CR7s, as I sort of recall seeing it a lot, but on the E145s, I am usually back at 18A.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

I notice on some UAX flights, the FA will actually use a small flashlight to check some detail of the door. Pretty sure on E145s, but perhaps also CR7s, as I sort of recall seeing it a lot, but on the E145s, I am usually back at 18A.
On non-plug-type doors there are a number of indicators showing that each of the latches are locked. I think the CRJ has about 7 (maybe 9?) of them. It's a lot. That's what they are looking for with the flashflight. They have no slides.

The normal "crosscheck" is checking that the slides are armed or disarmed for departure or arrival.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a dedicated set of pilots that fly aircraft to/from a maintenance facility?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Is there a dedicated set of pilots that fly aircraft to/from a maintenance facility?
No. Such trips are built on short notice and are usually available for pickup for, at least, a few hours before they're assigned to reserves.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
Lucky you ^

Must be a hidden WiFi network since we don't see it on our devices, and I'm sure it's an app that is available only to UA employees, possibly only pilots.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The moving map and charts are from a Jeppesen product that’s loaded on our company issued iPads. That replaced all the cumbersome charts/manuals we used to drag around with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.