United Pilot Q & A thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 15, 18, 11:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,774
Hoping one of our resident pilot friends...or anyone else with the knowledge...can help me with a curiosity.

During taxi at CVG this week, I noticed these numerical markers with green lights that I haven't seen at other airports before. Snapped a quick pic (through the grime and scratches on the window). IIRC, the lights on the markers were both green, and alternated back and forth.

What are these for...?

Thanks.

goodeats21 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,936
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Hoping one of our resident pilot friends...or anyone else with the knowledge...can help me with a curiosity.

During taxi at CVG this week, I noticed these numerical markers with green lights that I haven't seen at other airports before. Snapped a quick pic (through the grime and scratches on the window). IIRC, the lights on the markers were both green, and alternated back and forth.
Those are a bit unusual...

Those are status lights for the de-ice pads by the DHL ramp. They apparently signal that the underground deice pumps are operating/operational. I haven't seen them anywhere else.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:58 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,774
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Those are a bit unusual...

Those are status lights for the de-ice pads by the DHL ramp. They apparently signal that the underground deice pumps are operating/operational. I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Ah, thanks. Appreciate the info.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 9:04 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Ah, thanks. Appreciate the info.
I enjoyed readings (parts of) this PDF:

http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/Chapman.pdf

On page 14 there is a picture of similar signs / green lights inside the deicing pad area.
goodeats21 likes this.
threeoh is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 10:31 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,774
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
I enjoyed readings (parts of) this PDF:

http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/Chapman.pdf

On page 14 there is a picture of similar signs / green lights inside the deicing pad area.
Wow. Very interesting read. Thanks for providing that.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:54 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,719
This is more of a question for an FA but I'm betting a Pilot knows the answer.
When I am sitting up front I can see what the FA is doing. After closing (or just prior to opening) the door, she says "cross check, prepare for all call". My understanding was that "cross check" means someone else checks that she completed her job (arming or disarming the door). Then I will hear "cross check complete". However, I often will hear this when there is only one FA up front. How does a FA cross check herself?
eng3 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:06 pm
  #7  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
This is more of a question for an FA but I'm betting a Pilot knows the answer.
When I am sitting up front I can see what the FA is doing. After closing (or just prior to opening) the door, she says "cross check, prepare for all call". My understanding was that "cross check" means someone else checks that she completed her job (arming or disarming the door). Then I will hear "cross check complete". However, I often will hear this when there is only one FA up front. How does a FA cross check herself?
"Cross check complete" is usually a UAX thing. It's no longer procedure on mainline (if it ever was...). On 3 FA planes (73G, a319/320s), the lead/purser will arm 1L/1R and the FA standing at row 1 for the safety demo will crosscheck. Of course, one can (and does when the situation requires) crosscheck themselves by taking a step back and checking the arming indicators a second time.
ContinentalFan and goodeats21 like this.
fezzington is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
"Cross check complete" is usually a UAX thing. It's no longer procedure on mainline (if it ever was...). On 3 FA planes (73G, a319/320s), the lead/purser will arm 1L/1R and the FA standing at row 1 for the safety demo will crosscheck. Of course, one can (and does when the situation requires) crosscheck themselves by taking a step back and checking the arming indicators a second time.
I do recall seeing something like this on UAX and on mainline because the thought has crossed my head several times (how was the cross check done with one person). Maybe not the same words, but definitely one FA in front between the time the door is shut and the call is made. Yes, I do seem to recall that eventually a second FA come up front prior to take off. I guess the second FA might do the check later (after the call) or the first FA just thinks it over in her head. Ofcourse now that you bring up UAX, there are many planes with just one FA. I don't even know of those have exit slides being so low.
eng3 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:31 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,774
I notice on some UAX flights, the FA will actually use a small flashlight to check some detail of the door. Pretty sure on E145s, but perhaps also CR7s, as I sort of recall seeing it a lot, but on the E145s, I am usually back at 18A.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,936
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
I notice on some UAX flights, the FA will actually use a small flashlight to check some detail of the door. Pretty sure on E145s, but perhaps also CR7s, as I sort of recall seeing it a lot, but on the E145s, I am usually back at 18A.
On non-plug-type doors there are a number of indicators showing that each of the latches are locked. I think the CRJ has about 7 (maybe 9?) of them. It's a lot. That's what they are looking for with the flashflight. They have no slides.

The normal "crosscheck" is checking that the slides are armed or disarmed for departure or arrival.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:52 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 6,488
Is there a dedicated set of pilots that fly aircraft to/from a maintenance facility?
fezzington likes this.
TomMM is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,936
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Is there a dedicated set of pilots that fly aircraft to/from a maintenance facility?
No. Such trips are built on short notice and are usually available for pickup for, at least, a few hours before they're assigned to reserves.
EmailKid likes this.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:19 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 972
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
Say Vandelay is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:14 am
  #14  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,520
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
Lucky you ^

Must be a hidden WiFi network since we don't see it on our devices, and I'm sure it's an app that is available only to UA employees, possibly only pilots.
EmailKid is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:33 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KEWR
Programs: Marriott Platinum
Posts: 618
The moving map and charts are from a Jeppesen product thatís loaded on our company issued iPads. That replaced all the cumbersome charts/manuals we used to drag around with us.
clubord is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: