Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAL250
Flew into Laramie, Wyoming recently. It appears there is no control tower there, which isn't terribly surprising since there's only one or two UA flights a day there.

What do pilots on UAX or UA do when flying into an airport with no tower? Are they always with the center the airport is in from takeoff to landing? For example, for DEN-LAR would Denver Center control them the entire way, including giving them clearance to land? Or is there some general frequency for the airport that the pilots will just announce their intentions to other aircraft in the immediate area? Thanks.
At uncontrolled airports there is a Unicom frequency where you announce position reports so other aircraft know where you are in the pattern.

We can do it on the air as well but once safely on the ground we’ll call a predetermined ATC center frequency to let them know we safely landed. That will close out our flight plan and avoid calling out the search and rescue team on us.

When departing we do the opposite. We’ll call the controlling ATC center and tell them we’re almost ready for departure. They will issue a “hold for release” clearance which allows us to depart an airport without any ATC assistance on the ground. Once airborne they can get us on radar and everything continues normally from there.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the great explanation!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UAL250
What do pilots on UAX or UA do when flying into an airport with no tower? Are they always with the center the airport is in from takeoff to landing? For example, for DEN-LAR would Denver Center control them the entire way, including giving them clearance to land? Or is there some general frequency for the airport that the pilots will just announce their intentions to other aircraft in the immediate area? Thanks.
Originally Posted by clubord
At uncontrolled airports there is a Unicom frequency where you announce position reports so other aircraft know where you are in the pattern.

We can do it on the air as well but once safely on the ground we’ll call a predetermined ATC center frequency to let them know we safely landed. That will close out our flight plan and avoid calling out the search and rescue team on us.
In case it wasn't clear, there is no clearance to land at uncontrolled airports. Pilots use visual and, optionally, radio communication to inform other pilots of their intentions. I'm sure that radio communication is required by airline protocols, but aircraft operating at uncontrolled airports are not required to have radios -- and it's not unusual for small planes to fly without them.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is an FAA Advisory Circular which describes operations at non-towered airports.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1032988
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reverse Thrust

Can different power settings be used for reverse thrust when landing? I ask because on my last flight into FRA on a 777, I didn’t detect any reverse thrust being used which was a first for me.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Can different power settings be used for reverse thrust when landing? I ask because on my last flight into FRA on a 777, I didn’t detect any reverse thrust being used which was a first for me.
When landing, the thrust is brought back to idle and we lift up on two levers attached to the controls which activate the reverse thrust. On shorter runways (DCA, LGA, EWR Rwy 29, etc.) we get aggressive with the reverse thrust, quickly applying it right after main gear touchdown to maximize the effectiveness of the reverse thrust.

On longer runways or those which have noise restrictions on max reverse thrust we limit the amount applied on landing. FRA has long runways, assuming a touchdown in the normal range and no adverse weather conditions, little to no reverse thrust is really needed upon landing.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Can I give a big thank you to United Pilots? Earlier this year my wife took my two grandsons with her and flew from Denver to Orlando and met me there. When the pilots found that it was the two boys' (9 and 5 years old) first flight, they invited them into the cockpit and allowed them to take pictures wearing the captain's hat. This extra attention meant the world to them, and they told me later that the flight was the best part of their vacation.

Is this pretty standard practice for pilots in this situation? I was impressed, and the boys will have a lasting memory of that time.
I have kids, big and small, in my cockpit for pictures on about half the flights I fly. It is not standard, per se, but it is welcomed when the opportunity arises.

FAB
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by freshairborne

I have kids, big and small, in my cockpit for pictures on about half the flights I fly. It is not standard, per se, but it is welcomed when the opportunity arises.

FAB
Just wanted to say thanks to the pilots on this board and at UA in general for being so gracious to young flyers. From cockpit invitations to a really nice pilot who recently came up to my kids on the IAD people mover and gave them some wings, it has made them really look forward to flying, which is the highlight of some of their trips.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a couple of good posts about compressor stalls in another thread and it was mentioned that a stall could occur when starting an engine in a tailwind. Is there a limitation as to the amount of tailwind that an engine can be started in? Or do the start procedures account for that?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:46 am

There was a couple of good posts about compressor stalls in another thread and it was mentioned that a stall could occur when starting an engine in a tailwind. Is there a limitation as to the amount of tailwind that an engine can be started in? Or do the start procedures account for that?
Modern engines don't have any problem starting in normal wind conditions. I can't recall ever haven't to reorient the airplane to reduce tailwind for an engine start in my 27 years of flyings jets and turboprops.

This is a Boeing video for pilots on compressor stalls:

We used to get compressor stalls on the older engines (DC8/DC9/727) with high levels of reverse thrust after landing due to the reverse thrust disrupting the airflow into the intake. On some DC8s you'd use only idle-reverse on the outboard engines to prevent stalls.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Modern engines don't have any problem starting in normal wind conditions. I can't recall ever haven't to reorient the airplane to reduce tailwind for an engine start in my 27 years of flyings jets and turboprops.
Thanks!

How about hot starts? I was watching an old training video and one of the scenarios was identifying and dealing with a hot start. Is that an issue with modern systems?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:00 pm

How about hot starts? I was watching an old training video and one of the scenarios was identifying and dealing with a hot start. Is that an issue with modern systems?
Only if there is something wrong with the engine or proper start technique is not used.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...say-2018-11-12

"Stall-prevention system might have played role in deadly Indonesian crash"

What is UAs pilots take?

Last edited by cesco.g; Nov 13, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...say-2018-11-12

"Stall-prevention system might have played role in deadly Indonesian crash"

What is UAs pilots take?
Not concerned in the slightest, Boeing makes great airplanes. That’s my take.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any UA pilots here fly planes outside of work for fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.