Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The weight for carry on bags is included in the passenger weight. Each checked bag adds weight. By maximizing the number of bags that fit in the cabin they reduce the number of gate checks which reduces the weight used in the weight and balance calculations.

I have no idea how turbulence would have factored into this unless turbulence enroute was forcing a lower cruise altitude which would require more fuel.
I understand that there are presumed figures for each of these weights, but how does it affect the overall weight of the plane if a carryon bag is gate checked? It almost seems like an accounting trick . . .
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
I understand that there are presumed figures for each of these weights, but how does it affect the overall weight of the plane if a carryon bag is gate checked? It almost seems like an accounting trick . . .
In the belly it counts as a bag. In the cabin it's part of the passenger's assumed weight. It is an accounting trick.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by mduell
In the belly it counts as a bag. In the cabin it's part of the passenger's assumed weight. It is an accounting trick.
For cargo hold bags, is it actual weight or an assumed weight?

How wide are the margins on weight and balance? At what point does a substantial deviation between actual and assumed average passenger weight cause trouble?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jtkohl

How wide are the margins on weight and balance? At what point does a substantial deviation between actual and assumed average passenger weight cause trouble?
Checked passenger bags in the cargo hold are calculated at a standard weight. Cargo itself is measured by actual weight, including dangerous goods; dry ice, hazmat, etc.

Personally, I have no idea of the exact aircraft loading margins but I'm sure they're pretty conservative considering since the figures used to calculate weight/balance are mostly averages and or estimates.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the pin is left installed we'll find out as soon as we start to taxi and the steering (tiller) won't turn. You'd just stop and have them come back out to remove the pin.
Do all of the large planes(737 and up) use a tiller or do some use the rudder pedals?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Do all of the large planes(737 and up) use a tiller or do some use the rudder pedals?
All tiller...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
[QUOTE=drewguy;27828187]
Originally Posted by TomMM
Anything from 19-seats and up will have a tiller but they still have limited nosewheel steering through the rudder pedals. You sue the tiller at taxi speeds and the rudder for nosewheel steering during takeoff and landing roll.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assumed for bulk bags, they may weigh containerized bags on the larger aircraft like they do for cargo containers/pallets, I'm not sure.

How wide are the margins on weight and balance?
Legally you can't be over weight or out of balance.

As you can see on this typical, if dated, weight and balance envelope, the allowable CG range at takeoff for a 737-500 is about 16 inches.

At what point does a substantial deviation between actual and assumed average passenger weight cause trouble?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Midwest_Flight_5481
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This is a nice (well, terrible) illustration of how multiple independent failures in complex systems converge to lead to disaster.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
As you can see on this typical, if dated, weight and balance envelope, the allowable CG range at takeoff for a 737-500 is about 16 inches.
That chart is in %MAC, not inches. MAC is Mean Aerodynamic Chord.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That chart is in %MAC, not inches. MAC is Mean Aerodynamic Chord.
Yes, as many weight/balance charts are. The 735 has about a 120" MAC (980sqft/95ft), so I did the math.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Our flight was cleared for landing at LHR 20 seconds before touchdown, I heard on ch9. Is that normal for busy airports or is there a different standard in that country? I feel like when I've listed to EWR ATC the planes are often cleared with at least one inbound aircraft in the air in front of them but maybe I am mistaken.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Our flight was cleared for landing at LHR 20 seconds before touchdown, I heard on ch9. Is that normal for busy airports or is there a different standard in that country? I feel like when I've listed to EWR ATC the planes are often cleared with at least one inbound aircraft in the air in front of them but maybe I am mistaken.
The United States is one of the few places where ATC can use anticipated separation in clearing an an aircraft to land. Which means that we can have many aircraft cleared to land on the same runway at the same time if in our (controllers) judgement the preceding aircraft will be clear of the runway by the time the following aircraft touches down.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ROCAT
The United States is one of the few places where ATC can use anticipated separation in clearing an an aircraft to land. Which means that we can have many aircraft cleared to land on the same runway at the same time if in our (controllers) judgement the preceding aircraft will be clear of the runway by the time the following aircraft touches down.
I recall hearing on approach to R22 at LGA one day, "XXX, LaGuardia Tower. Runway 22, cleared to land -- but prepare to go around."
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are paper charts and plates still carried or is everything electronic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.