Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Landing distance, or more precisely, stopping distance on a transport category airplane is calculated for each aircraft on each possible runway. Lots of factors are considered, such as weight, air density (altitude that’s corrected for temperature), landing reference speed, elevation, runway slope, ambient temperature, runway condition (dry, wet, slippery from rain or standing water, snow depth), use of reversers, etc.

It’s generally assumed that if we’re landing with all systems operating and the runway is more than about 8,000’ long, that we will have plenty of runway, though the numbers are always calculated before we even leave the gate for our destination and any alternate airports we might have. On short runways, slimy runways, high altitude runways, etc., we will have these numbers on hand.

An inop reverser will add only a couple hundred feet to our calculated landing distance, depending on all those other things.

It’s rare that we’re dispatched with a reverser inop. I’ve had stuff like this, and if I’m going to somewhere with a long runway, good conditions, it’s a non-event.

On a A-319 at 130,000 lb, no wind, sea level, standard temperature, no tailwind, spoilers deployed at touchdown, max reverse thrust, landing in the touchdown zone, dry runway, we need 3,300 feet. An inop reverser adds 170 feet.

So the answer is yes, it'll stop.

FAB
Thanks for detailed answer!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:26 pm

Landing distance, or more precisely, stopping distance on a transport category airplane is calculated for each aircraft on each possible runway. Lots of factors are considered, such as weight, air density (altitude that’s corrected for temperature), landing reference speed, elevation, runway slope, ambient temperature, runway condition (dry, wet, slippery from rain or standing water, snow depth), use of reversers, etc.

It’s generally assumed that if we’re landing with all systems operating and the runway is more than about 8,000’ long, that we will have plenty of runway, though the numbers are always calculated before we even leave the gate for our destination and any alternate airports we might have. On short runways, slimy runways, high altitude runways, etc., we will have these numbers on hand.

An inop reverser will add only a couple hundred feet to our calculated landing distance, depending on all those other things.

It’s rare that we’re dispatched with a reverser inop. I’ve had stuff like this, and if I’m going to somewhere with a long runway, good conditions, it’s a non-event.

On a A-319 at 130,000 lb, no wind, sea level, standard temperature, no tailwind, spoilers deployed at touchdown, max reverse thrust, landing in the touchdown zone, dry runway, we need 3,300 feet. An inop reverser adds 170 feet.

So the answer is yes, it'll stop.

FAB
If you have one reverser inop, do you actually use the other? How much asymmetric pull is there, and is it just rudder (or nosewheel) or both that's used to correct?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
If you have one reverser inop, do you actually use the other? How much asymmetric pull is there, and is it just rudder (or nosewheel) or both that's used to correct?
It's not that much asymmetric thrust that it's hard to control so we'd just use it and compensate with rudder at landing speed, blending the nosewheel steering as the speed bleeds off. I've done it in the sim plenty of times, but only a handful of times in operation, and it's a non-event.

FAB
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
There aren't any aircraft in any of the current fleets that can use reversers in flight like the old DC8 could, are there? Always remember the crazy rumble of descending into a place like Denver from the west when an 8 captain would want down in a hurry.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdx1M
There aren't any aircraft in any of the current fleets that can use reversers in flight like the old DC8 could, are there? Always remember the crazy rumble of descending into a place like Denver from the west when an 8 captain would want down in a hurry.
No
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by clubord
No
No there aren't. The reversers nowadays are a lot more effective than back in the old days. On the DC-8, they could only use the inboard ones, and only at idle reverse. The airplane didn't have leading edge slats, which helped a lot in making drag.

FAB
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The [DC8] didn't have leading edge slats, which helped a lot in making drag.
Nor speed brakes.

Rarely used inflight reverse. Maybe only twice? Flight-idle and pointing the nose down usually did the trick.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Nor speed brakes.

Rarely used inflight reverse. Maybe only twice? Flight-idle and pointing the nose down usually did the trick.
I think different variations of them had spoiler panels. Some were only available as ground spoilers, some could be used for both air and ground. I never flew the UA DC-8's, but don't remember seeing any panel-popping in flight when riding on these planes.

I remember the inboard reversers being used a few times, though.

FAB
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With modern jet engines, it is possible to have a "hot start" and toast an engine?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
With modern jet engines, it is possible to have a "hot start" and toast an engine?
Airbus, yes, but lots of stuff would have to be inoperative for the start and lots more would have to go wrong. It's not likely that it would do a whole lot of damage though. There are so many protective systems that it actually will discontinue the start, shut off fuel flow, wait for a predetermined amount of time, then start spinning itself without fuel or ignition, all things that in the good ol' days we'd do manually.
It's cheap, built-in insurance. Computers are wonderful things somethings.

FAB
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Emergency Exit Doors- Instructions good enough?

Not really sure this belongs in the pilot section, but where else?

When I'm in an exit row, I actually do study the literature and the door, even after many hundreds of flights. Why? Because there are doors that swing out, doors that detach and get tossed out, doors that you remove and place on the seat. Maybe some other variant as well.

But I rarely, if ever, see anyone else paying attention to such things. Just wondering if it would make sense that the FA's don't just ask if people in the exit row speak English and are willing to help, but also let people know how the exit doors actually operate?

Also, brought up elsewhere in this thread, is the issue of not opening up some exits in a water landing. Might not be a bad thing to let people in those exit rows know that as well, so they're not caught up in the moment and too helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

When I'm in an exit row, I actually do study the literature and the door, even after many hundreds of flights. Why? Because there are doors that swing out, doors that detach and get tossed out, doors that you remove and place on the seat. Maybe some other variant as well.

But I rarely, if ever, see anyone else paying attention to such things. Just wondering if it would make sense that the FA's don't just ask if people in the exit row speak English and are willing to help, but also let people know how the exit doors actually operate?

Also, brought up elsewhere in this thread, is the issue of not opening up some exits in a water landing. Might not be a bad thing to let people in those exit rows know that as well, so they're not caught up in the moment and too helpful.
They usually mention which doors don't get used in water landings during the safety briefing, that said most people don't pay attention...

I think I remember seeing signs on overwing exits, at least in Europe, which make it clear that they're not for water landings - but I'm not sure if that's a universal thing. That said, it's most likely that overwing exits are the ones opened when not necessary (since they usually don't have an FA close by to direct passengers otherwise), but overwing exits seem to be higher / are above wing level, and are therefore less likely to lead to flooding - in other words it's not great, but it's not a catastrophe.

Even US aircraft have graphical instructions on the door: I don't think that part of the operation is likely to be an issue, but the weight of the doors apparently is.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am

So true and sad. I want you in an exit row seat when I'm deadheading. I've been a pilot for UA for almost 30 years, and have opened these doors and done emergency door and evacuation training every year during my recurrent training, and still ship my book and actually read the briefing card and silently review before every flight as a passenger. I know it will be the FAs and deadheading crew that drags the ignorant passengers out of an airplane if there is an evacuation.
Statistics show this to be true in the vast, vast majority of evacs.

FAB
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So true and sad. I want you in an exit row seat when I'm deadheading. I've been a pilot for UA for almost 30 years, and have opened these doors and done emergency door and evacuation training every year during my recurrent training, and still ship my book and actually read the briefing card and silently review before every flight as a passenger. I know it will be the FAs and deadheading crew that drags the ignorant passengers out of an airplane if there is an evacuation.
Statistics show this to be true in the vast, vast majority of evacs.

FAB
You might like my next suggestion then... I think people should be exit-row qualified ahead of time. Make them take a short class where they actually get to perform the functions on a simple simulator. Take the guess-work out of figuring out if he or she is physically incapable of working the exit doors, not to mention language issues. I'm sure there are many reasons why this is impractical though.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

I really like AI's exit row briefing on widebodies for this reason. They actually come over and explain step-by-step how to open the door, and the briefing takes 2-3 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.