FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Time for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...7-edition.html. Will retire the 2016 thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ground staff using a tow tug or a qualified ground staff taxiing the aircraft.
OK, seriously dumb question time. Is this done with anyone in the cockpit, or can it be done on an empty and closed plane? I assume the latter. Probably some external switches that can be thrown, or more likely steering control automatically goes to the tug anytime it's hooked up.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N1Flyer
That's changing within the next few years. The FAA will be publishing via TFMS aircraft movement times.
FAA has been publishing movements for more than two decades via various feeds. Not into GDS like the post I was replying to.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
There is a manual process in the FOM quick reference guide. It works fine for an airplane or two with inoperative ACARS but it takes time and requires phones calls to the flight's dispatcher who then sends the information that normally goes through ACARS to a station printer. The crews then use manual entry into the FMS. With ACARS down for the entire "domestic" fleet there is no way for the dispatchers to handle that workload.

Dedicated move teams. They spend their entire shift moving airplanes around the airport service via tugs.

I was enroute to EWR last night when the ACARS failure occurred. First thing I noticed was requests for updated gate assignment, flight status update, and landing data weren't returned. We had an earlier gate assignment and calculated the landing distance requirements via alternate means.

After landing, we were scheduled for a B-gate due to being an international arrival but the gate wasn't available. Turned out that the airplane at our gate was waiting for the move team to move it over to the C-terminal. What we didn't know was that the entire ACARS system (for the "domestic" fleet) was down and our in-range and on-times were never transmitted so the move team didn't know that we were early and couldn't properly prioritized moving the airplane that was at our gate. (They did move the aircraft in time for our scheduled arrival, thankfully, so we still arrived at the gate early)

Another issue that came up from the ACARS outage was that us crews who weren't aware of the extent of the problem didn't know that we needed to call in our out/off/on/in times via radio (and the stations couldn't send us messages asking for them). Without those times, the flight status displays/web/app never updated.
Thank you very much. Very interesting .
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
OK, seriously dumb question time. Is this done with anyone in the cockpit, or can it be done on an empty and closed plane? I assume the latter. Probably some external switches that can be thrown, or more likely steering control automatically goes to the tug anytime it's hooked up.
With the proper tug, it can be done without anyone in the cockpit.

The steering is disabled at the nose gear by inserting a bypass pin. It is also effectively disabled by the lack of hydraulic pressure with the airplane shutdown.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The steering is disabled at the nose gear by inserting a bypass pin. It is also effectively disabled by the lack of hydraulic pressure with the airplane shutdown.
Ah, after pushback, is that the pin that is removed and shown to the cockpit?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Ah, after pushback, is that the pin that is removed and shown to the cockpit?
Yes it is.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it is.
Thanks, I always thought it was related to a squat switch .
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Thanks, I always thought it was related to a squat switch .
Transport aircraft typically do not use squat switches in the sense of a open/closed mechanical switch. They use proximity sensors to determine states. Multiple per gear truck, all cabin/cargo doors, ets. Less prone to failure with no moving parts. (lots of dirt/grime/ice/etc)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:18 am

That said, there are also large pins with flags attached that are used to lock the gear down for mx and other ground activities. They are not used for routine operations.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I was on UA309, SFO-IAD today, and the gate agents and FAs made announcements about the flight being weight restricted. However, they didn't seem concerned about overall aircraft weight - they seemed worried about adding weight in the baggage hold. Basically, they said they wanted to get as many carryon bags in the cabin as possible, and the FAs were announcing that they'd remove backpacks and coats from the overhead in order to squeeze in more larger bags.

Didn't really make sense to me, so I asked a FA who was standing next to me. "It's for weather. We're going to be getting moderate turbulence and that's why we're weight restricted."

That answer still doesn't make sense to me, so I thought I'd ask here.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:03 pm

The weight for carry on bags is included in the passenger weight. Each checked bag adds weight. By maximizing the number of bags that fit in the cabin they reduce the number of gate checks which reduces the weight used in the weight and balance calculations.

I have no idea how turbulence would have factored into this unless turbulence enroute was forcing a lower cruise altitude which would require more fuel.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Yes it is.
Thanks, that's very reassuring ^

I work in the medical field (not a doctor) and have seen that little things can have dire consequences
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I work in the medical field (not a doctor) and have seen that little things can have dire consequences
Not too dire in this case.

If the pin is left installed we'll find out as soon as we start to taxi and the steering (tiller) won't turn. You'd just stop and have them come back out to remove the pin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.