Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 7:15 am

Yep welcome anytime during boarding/deplanning. I used to be Guam based. Middle aged Japanese men absolutely loved flight deck visits and the resulting photo op.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Question for our resident 737 pilots or I guess anyone that may have experience with this. Yesterday ORD-DEN on a 737-900, midway through spool up for take off at O'Hare, I heard a strange noise that I've never heard before. I was sitting in the exit row and directly overhead, I heard a sound that I can't articulate well other than it sounded like many dozens or hundreds of buckets of water or ice were dropped on top of the fuselage. Like a chunky splashing sound but for only about 2-3 seconds in length. It wasn't my imagination as many passengers looked up and at each other with the same puzzled look.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
... it sounded like many dozens or hundreds of buckets of water or ice were dropped on top of the fuselage. Like a chunky splashing sound but for only about 2-3 seconds in length.
And here I thought the ice bucket challenge trend was dying out!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
it sounded like many dozens or hundreds of buckets of water or ice were dropped on top of the fuselage.
There is nothing on the aircraft that would make such a sound. My best guess is something stowed in the bags in the overhead shifting.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: None anymore
Question for the 747 pilots, do you think the retirement schedule is going to be accelerated before October?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw
Question for the 747 pilots, do you think the retirement schedule is going to be accelerated before October?
There's a whole thread on that

Suppose pilots may not read it though ....
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:23 am

747 Flight

I will be flying from SFO-ICN on 8/31 on the UD. I am very excited for my first and possibly only 747 flight. I would love to get a picture in the cockpit before departure and wanted to see whether there was a proper manner in which to ask the crew. Can I just approach the flight deck and ask? I don't want to be a distraction, or cause any security concerns!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Que
Can I just approach the flight deck and ask? I don't want to be a distraction, or cause any security concerns!
There is no formal procedure. Just ask. It shouldn't be a problem. Ask if any of them have one of the 747 trading cards for you.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yesterday, I noticed that the plane I was on did not turn on its starboard engine while taxiing (turbine was not spinning) - only when we were relatively close to takeoff. Is that normal? To save fuel? It's possible it's normal and I haven't noticed before but I thought usually both engines were on when moving forward under own power Actually now that I think about it I'm almost always on the other side of the a/c so maybe this is just SOP.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by findark
Yesterday, I noticed that the plane I was on did not turn on its starboard engine while taxiing (turbine was not spinning) - only when we were relatively close to takeoff. Is that normal? To save fuel? It's possible it's normal and I haven't noticed before but I thought usually both engines were on when moving forward under own power Actually now that I think about it I'm almost always on the other side of the a/c so maybe this is just SOP.
Yes it's SOP to save fuel. I believe the 737/a320/RJs all do it for the most part. 757 and bigger don't typically.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by g-code
Yes it's SOP to save fuel. I believe the 737/a320/RJs all do it for the most part. 757 and bigger don't typically.
And always the port engine on, or does it alternate?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by findark
And always the port engine on, or does it alternate?
That depends on the airplane. Different designs will have different single-engine configurations.

On the 737 we start the right engine first. That allows the bleed-air from the right engine to power the right A/C pack while the APU bleed-air powers the left A/C pack. That gives maximum heating/cooling in a one-engine configuration. If we started the left engine first there's no way to power the right pack from the APU so you'd have either the left engine or APU powering both packs.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
That depends on the airplane. Different designs will have different single-engine configurations.

On the 737 we start the right engine first. That allows the bleed-air from the right engine to power the right A/C pack while the APU bleed-air powers the left A/C pack. That gives maximum heating/cooling in a one-engine configuration. If we started the left engine first there's no way to power the right pack from the APU so you'd have either the left engine or APU powering both packs.
Interesting!

I guess the moral of the story is I clearly haven't looked back at the engine while taxiing often enough!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
During single engine operation, is there a critical engine that you have to account for like in a light twin?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
During single engine operation, is there a critical engine that you have to account for like in a light twin?
Not really with jet aircraft. Critical engine problems are most prevalent with propeller aircraft where the spiraling slipstream and asymmetric thrust created by the propeller disc causes noticeable handling differences depending on which engine fails, assuming the aircraft does not have counter-rotating propellers. No real handling difference whichever engine fails dealing with turbojets (at least with twin engine aircraft. No idea for 3 or more).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.