Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by janehoya
I am very belatedly posting this question as I still wonder about it sometimes. On July 6, 2022 we flew on UA45 from Zurich to San Francisco. A delay was announced due to the fact that the entire length of the plane on the door side had inoperable toilets. Gate Agents worked for a couple of hours with "Chicago" to fix but couldn't and we ultimately took off with the status quo. That's not the odd part though. Initially the manager (can't recall her exact title, but it had "manager" in it) got on the mic to explain that it was "illegal"--I remember that word clearly--to fly TATL with more than one inoperable lavatory. Other GA's said the same thing to passengers. They kept reminding passengers to use the lavatory before boarding. We took off approximately 2 hours late the FA's expressed frustration with management as apparently the lavatories weren't working upon takeoff from the U.S. and they were aware. "Chicago" told them they would start working at 16,000 feet. The FA said this was nonsensical and I tend to agree. Anyway, they never worked either going to Zurich or leaving. Finally to my question, does anybody know if any rule exists regarding this topic. Oh, my 1K spouse proactively received a travel credit (we were in C) for his troubles. Rest of the family received nothing.
I had this maintenance differal before when I flew the 767. I believe it is with the flushing mechanism in the lavatory and once at altitude the pressure assist allows the lavs to work normally.

Obviously not ideal but definitely not a deal breaker to cancel a TATL flight.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....That's not the odd part though. Initially the manager (can't recall her exact title, but it had "manager" in it) got on the mic to explain that it was "illegal"--I remember that word clearly--to fly TATL with more than one inoperable lavatory.....
Maybe not the best choice of words when discussing the issue with a layperson..

There is a "minimum equipment list" (MEL -- specific to an aircraft type and route) that airlines use to determine if an aircraft is "fit" to fly and some items can be deferred and some can not. When airline personnel talk about "illegal" to fly, they can be talking about the MEL but as mentioned (in the prior post by a pilot) some items on that list can be "deferred", meaning the aircraft can still be used under certain conditions. There is a deferral process involving the pilots and maintenance staff.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 3, 2022 at 10:20 am Reason: rephrased
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
"Chicago" told them they would start working at 16,000 feet.
The toilets use air pressure to flush. In flight, that pressure comes from the difference between the high-pressure inside the cabin and the low-pressure outside the cabin. On the ground, there is no pressure differential so pressure pump(s) provide the pressure to flush. If those pump(s) are inoperative, the toilet will not flush on the ground but will flush once the airplane gains some altitude. 16,000' is the altitude that is stated in the MEL for when the flush system will work.

Any inoperative lavatories require approval from the Network Operations Center Operations Manager. They will make the decision based on the length of the flight, the number of working lavatories, and the number of passengers onboard.

An interesting, but unrelated, situation with the lavatories is that, under certain conditions, they can be available for use only by crewmembers. The one situation that I remember is when the fire suppression system for the lavatory trash receptacle is inoperative, only crewmembers can use that Lav. There are probably a few more such situations.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
As a 737 pilot, I do not maintain a North Atlantic qualification so am not current on the requirements.
Unrelated to the question that you answered, but your reply made me wonder: if you wanted to work the flight to PDL (operated by a 737-MAX8, if I recall correctly), what additional training would you need? Is that something you would do after getting the flight assigned, or do you need the training before you bid on the flight?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by aindfan
Unrelated to the question that you answered, but your reply made me wonder: if you wanted to work the flight to PDL (operated by a 737-MAX8, if I recall correctly), what additional training would you need? Is that something you would do after getting the flight assigned, or do you need the training before you bid on the flight?
You need a North Atlantic qualification.

They started the PDL service by qualifying the pilots in the CLE base because the CLE base is relatively small and it could be done quickly. The rest of us will be qualified in our normal training cycles. For now, all of the PDL flights are on trips flown by CLE pilots.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
You need a North Atlantic qualification.

They started the PDL service by qualifying the pilots in the CLE base because the CLE base is relatively small and it could be done quickly. The rest of us will be qualified in our normal training cycles. For now, all of the PDL flights are on trips flown by CLE pilots.
1.) I love learning from everything you post. Thank you!

2.) EWR-PDL is UA 216. 216 is the area code for Cleveland. Coincidence?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
United Pilot Q & A thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2024 at 12:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.