Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Lucky you ^

Must be a hidden WiFi network since we don't see it on our devices, and I'm sure it's an app that is available only to UA employees, possibly only pilots.
I have noticed one or two extra networks that always show up in the wifi list and assumed they must be something like that — don't recall the SSID exactly, but it is 016___, which certainly sounds like a UA thing.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I have noticed one or two extra networks that always show up in the wifi list and assumed they must be something like that — don't recall the SSID exactly, but it is 016___, which certainly sounds like a UA thing.
*boots up Wireshark onboard the next time I see a pilot pull out an iPad while simultaneously praying that I don't get kicked off the flight.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I sat next to a really nice off-duty UA pilot on my last flight. While we were taxiing at O'Hare he took out his company iPad, connected to a special wifi, and showed me our location on the ground, flight plan, weather and other info for our flight. Is that a proprietary app and does everyone use it? Do you have the same wifi connection problems in the cockpit that passengers regularly experience?
It is the same wifi (UNITED WIFI) that is available to the passengers. Some of our company apps are able to access data through the airplane's wifi inflight including the WSI weather app which is what you saw.

WSI is the authorized weather data provider for United Airlines. The app is the primary method for pilots to access WSI through our iPads. It is a service that the airline buys and, I assume, would be available for others to buy as well though I don't know if they have a comparable consumer-level service. I've attached a screenshot showing a flight from EWR to BNA and displaying the turbulence forecast at 36,000' along with current pilot reports for turbulence and icing. This is the display I use most often in flight but there are many other layers, as well as a large collection of aviation weather charts, available. I brought up the details of one of the moderate (yellow pyramid) turbulence reports. You can see that it was from a UAL 737-900 at 26,000' (FL260).

Another advantage of us having this connected app in the cockpit is that we're much more likely to notice when the internet is not working and reset it or write it up! We no longer depend on the flight attendants to pass along passenger complaints. The F/As handheld devices are also connected via the airplane's wifi. They have a lot of flight and passenger information available on them but I don't know the details.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Yup, that was the one. Thanks, Larry and clubord.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
It is the same wifi (UNITED WIFI) that is available to the passengers. Some of our company apps are able to access data through the airplane's wifi inflight including the WSI weather app which is what you saw.

WSI is the authorized weather data provider for United Airlines. The app is the primary method for pilots to access WSI through our iPads. It is a service that the airline buys and, I assume, would be available for others to buy as well though I don't know if they have a comparable consumer-level service. I've attached a screenshot showing a flight from EWR to BNA and displaying the turbulence forecast at 36,000' along with current pilot reports for turbulence and icing. This is the display I use most often in flight but there are many other layers, as well as a large collection of aviation weather charts, available. I brought up the details of one of the moderate (yellow pyramid) turbulence reports. You can see that it was from a UAL 737-900 at 26,000' (FL260).

Another advantage of us having this connected app in the cockpit is that we're much more likely to notice when the internet is not working and reset it or write it up! We no longer depend on the flight attendants to pass along passenger complaints. The F/As handheld devices are also connected via the airplane's wifi. They have a lot of flight and passenger information available on them but I don't know the details.

img
Thanks for posting. Who knew there were so many cactii between CLE and CVG.

This prompted me to remember I'd wanted to ask: does ATC typically direct approach to SFO above Half Dome? The first time I noticed it a few years ago, I thought it was just good fortune, but it's become something of a regular highlight for me when I come westward into SFO.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:40 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM

This prompted me to remember I'd wanted to ask: does ATC typically direct approach to SFO above Half Dome? The first time I noticed it a few years ago, I thought it was just good fortune, but it's become something of a regular highlight for me when I come westward into SFO.
That is probably the YOSEM THREE standard arrival procedure, which does go right over Yosemite Natl Park:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1804/00375YOSEM.PDF

You can visualize where the path is by typing in the waypoints (like YOSEM, SNORA) at skyvector.com!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
That is probably the YOSEM THREE standard arrival procedure, which does go right over Yosemite Natl Park:

You can visualize where the path is by typing in the waypoints (like YOSEM, SNORA) at skyvector.com!
Thanks! Great resources.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by TA

And who can answer the real question: why is everything on these FAA charts sans-serif except the IATA airport codes which are weirdly serif? Drives me nuts!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
And who can answer the real question: why is everything on these FAA charts sans-serif except the IATA airport codes which are weirdly serif? Drives me nuts!
Pedantry: It's an FAA LID (location ID), not an IATA code. They mostly overlap, but there are some variances like Hilton Head IATA HHH vs LID HXD.

But no idea why it is serif.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Those would be pilot reports (PIREPS) of icing. Green is light icing just as the green "pyramids" are light turbulence. Yellow is moderate. Red is severe. Extreme is also red but is a different symbol. A red box would be low-level wind shear.

So, why is the seatbelt sign on even though it's smooth? Often, it's because you're flying through an area of either forecast turbulence (yellow 'clouds') or near turbulence PIREPS. If the bumps never materialize it may be that we were able to use the information from the WSI app, and other sources, to avoid it.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those would be pilot reports (PIREPS) of icing. Green is light icing just as the green "pyramids" are light turbulence. Yellow is moderate. Red is severe. Extreme is also red but is a different symbol. A red box would be low-level wind shear.

So, why is the seatbelt sign on even though it's smooth? Often, it's because you're flying through an area of either forecast turbulence (yellow 'clouds') or near turbulence PIREPS. If the bumps never materialize it may be that we were able to use the information from the WSI app, and other sources, to avoid it.
Appreciate the further insight. What are the green 'stacked hockeysticks' and Delta-triangles, e.g. east south east of Dover?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:22 pm

Appreciate the further insight. What are the green 'stacked hockeysticks' and Delta-triangles, e.g. east south east of Dover?
That is an automated wind and turbulence report from the TAPS system.

https://business.weather.com/news/ws...ovide-tracking

That one is showing light turbulence and winds of 90kts out of the west. Tapping the icon would bring up the detailed report.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That one is showing light turbulence and winds of 90kts out of the west. Tapping the icon would bring up the detailed report.
Neat. I had not heard of TAPS. Thanks. ^
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond

Nice - I wondered that this was too. It has started showing up on Foreflight and ADDS - I wasn't quite sure what it was. Thanks.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:07 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I thought this may be a good place to mention this but in the LAX UC today they announced an "ask a Pilot" hour where a UA pilot walked the club and talked with pax. I'm not LAX-based anymore so not sure if this has been going on for a long time or not but I thought it was a great touch.

Are pilots asked to volunteer for that? I'm curious what the impetus for that idea was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.