Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aluminumdriver

That whole thread is just one side of the story with everyone just jumping to conclusions from what I've read. Diverting a flight is a big decision and usually done in consultation with dispatch and the inflight security coordinator.

AD
Thanks. That's what I thought but didn't want to say anything until a pilot chimed in. So basically a pilot can't just go to another airport on their own? Which could explain the time delay between the incident and the diversion. And I would suspect the incident was still ongoing during that decision making time. Are there any situations, like a severe medical emergency where the pilot would make the decision on their own? Or do they need medical consults from the ground? Or if someone was physically attacking the cockpit door or a flight attendant? I do realize that once headed to a different airport someone on the ground has to be informed to make room, get the proper people ready for the arrival, etc. But how about making that first turn?

The reason I am asking these questions is so people can stop crucifying a pilot for a decision whether it was initiated by the pilot or not and be better educated on processes and decision making and that what some see as a vindictive decision is much more involved than us FlyerTalkers realize.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Baze
Thanks. That's what I thought but didn't want to say anything until a pilot chimed in. So basically a pilot can't just go to another airport on their own? Which could explain the time delay between the incident and the diversion. And I would suspect the incident was still ongoing during that decision making time. Are there any situations, like a severe medical emergency where the pilot would make the decision on their own? Or do they need medical consults from the ground? Or if someone was physically attacking the cockpit door or a flight attendant? I do realize that once headed to a different airport someone on the ground has to be informed to make room, get the proper people ready for the arrival, etc. But how about making that first turn?
I'm not a pilot, but I would certainly hope that in an emergency such as the ones you describe a pilot would declare emergency and immediately divert to the nearest suitable airfield.

In a non-emergency diversion situation, however, I'd prefer a coordinated effort to get to a major hub (such as ORD) because it gives me the best chance of getting to my original destination.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:41 pm

The reason I am asking these questions is so people can stop crucifying a pilot for a decision whether it was initiated by the pilot or not and be better educated on processes and decision making and that what some see as a vindictive decision is much more involved than us FlyerTalkers realize.
The Pilot in command may divert whenever he feels it is warranted. He'll need to be ready to answer for that decision. Something major like medical emergency, security threat, aircraft malfunction, the pilots can make the decision to put it on the ground as soon as they safely can. Something like that IFE incident, a cabin disruption, is usually coordinated with the company since it's not as time critical. Ultimately, the call rests with the PIC since he's in charge.

AD
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:56 pm

And several more questions.....

(1) How much do you love the older United commercials (pre-2010) and that BEAUTIFUL Rhapsody in Blue song?

(2) Do people really ask you directions in every airport about where things are in each airport??

(3) About how many female pilots work at United?

(4) Thunderbirds or Blue Angels??

(5) Which airplane is more aesthetically pleasing to you: the 777-200 or the 777-300?

(6) Have you ever met any of the pilots who are "semi-famous"/made news at some point: like Peter Burkill, John Coward, Denny Flanagan, James Fritzen Taylor, Denny Fitch (RIP ), or Sully Sullenberger??

(7) If you're a captain, does the rest of the cockpit crew really call you "Skipper"?

(8) Do you prefer the double-breasted or the single-breasted pilot jacket??

(9) If any of you have a daughter, did you (or would you) put the title of "Capt." for yourself on her wedding invitation?

(10) Why no matter what...even on the clearest most beautiful day in the world, are there little tiny water droplets on the windows when the airplane lands??

Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Not a question here, but wanted to compliment and to thank UA pilots for excellent landings every time I fly UA internationally - much smoother landings on UA than on LH.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kittiepride

(1) How much do you love the older United commercials (pre-2010) and that BEAUTIFUL Rhapsody in Blue song?
Much better than the last set of United commercials which were horrible. "RISING"....I mean common.

(2) Do people really ask you directions in every airport about where things are in each airport??
Yeah, pretty much all the time.

Don't know the exact number. Quite a few.

I'm Air Force but like the Blue Angels more. ^

(5) Which airplane is more aesthetically pleasing to you: the 777-200 or the 777-300?
There's a difference??

(6) Have you ever met any of the pilots who are "semi-famous"/made news at some point: like Peter Burkill, John Coward, Denny Flanagan, James Fritzen Taylor, Denny Fitch (RIP ), or Sully Sullenberger??
Nope. I only know the name Sullenberger though.

(7) If you're a captain, does the rest of the cockpit crew really call you "Skipper"?
No, they just call me by my first name.

Neither, I wear the leather jacket.

(9) If any of you have a daughter, did you (or would you) put the title of "Capt." for yourself on her wedding invitation?
Uh no, just Mr. so and so. The title Captain or F/O, means nothing, just a position. We're all very experienced pilots at United, captains just happened to be hired earlier.

(10) Why no matter what...even on the clearest most beautiful day in the world, are there little tiny water droplets on the windows when the airplane lands??

Condensation most likely. Cold jet coming down into warmer air.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Apr 6, 2013 at 8:24 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Pilot in command may divert whenever he feels it is warranted. He'll need to be ready to answer for that decision. Something major like medical emergency, security threat, aircraft malfunction, the pilots can make the decision to put it on the ground as soon as they safely can. Something like that IFE incident, a cabin disruption, is usually coordinated with the company since it's not as time critical. Ultimately, the call rests with the PIC since he's in charge.

AD
Thanks. Getting a better picture of what, how and why.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:01 pm

There's a difference??
Yes, the 777-300 is a longer airplane.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:31 pm

With the rather long (and long winded) thread about a UA captain diverting a flight over an IFE complaint I have a question. What would be a divertable offense and getting people kicked off a plane? Arrested or not is irrelevant for my question. There is a lot of speculation and captain bashing in that thread. I think it would have to be pretty serious for a captain to make that decision. I won't make a judgement about the captain unless I had ALL the facts and that thread is so one sided, fact wise, it isn't funny. So no speculation about this incident what would make you divert a flight to remove someone?
I have been reading a little on that thread, but it was obvious from the start that it was a witch-hunt. Pilots have the sole authority to divert, or do whatever is required to deal with every situation, but none of us would do what is being said on that thread. There is more to the situation. Pilots don't divert for ego or vindictiveness. Some facts are missing on the OP's post.

If someone is posing an immediate threat to the safety of a flight, we will take action, whether diverting, rallying willing passengers, law enforcement officers that may be on board, whatever. The safety of flight is top priority. Even ambiguous but credible threats will trigger action, whether it's obvious to others on board or not.

FAB

Originally Posted by gulfstreamceo
Yesterday I was on UA 776 MIA-IAH and due to the storms listening to channel 9 ATC suggested we try 40,000 feet, and pilot said they where not authorized for that flight level? Is this lack of technical knowledge by ATC or some other reason? thought max ceiling for B757-200 is is 42,000 feet. Also they wanted to route us over gulf but pilot declined saying we needed to stay over land? Are some of the PUA models non ETOPS?
Able is not the same as authorized. The airplanes are certified to 42,000" but not often capable of safely flying at that altitude. Some of the sUAL 757s are ETOPS certified, others aren't.

FAB

Originally Posted by mariof
I'm not a pilot, but I would certainly hope that in an emergency such as the ones you describe a pilot would declare emergency and immediately divert to the nearest suitable airfield.

In a non-emergency diversion situation, however, I'd prefer a coordinated effort to get to a major hub (such as ORD) because it gives me the best chance of getting to my original destination.
Correct, in a nutshell.

FAB

Rhapsody in Blue is a song better suited to a slop pianist than an airline. I used to love that tune, but now it reminds me of United Air Lines.

Occasionally. They often don't understand that an airport can be as unfamiliar to us as it it to them. Doesn't bother me, I usually just look at the signs and help them out that way.

I don't know the numbers, but it's more than other airlines.

They're all top performers.

I haven't seen enough -300s to even give it a thought.

Al Haynes, of UAL 232 fame. He rode my jumpseat one day, and was happy to talk about his experience. A very humble man, because he believed that if it had been any other professional airline pilot in his seat, we all would have done what he did. I also lived in a crash pad with the F/E that was on that flight.Mama D Squared was his nickname.

Sometimes, or "boss", or "Dude", just our first name. It's just a title, another way to address your flying partner. We don't get too wrapped up in the whole title thing. My stripes don't mean nuthin' to my wife, either

Single, I think. In the winter, I wear a nice bomber-style jacket that I got at Costco 20 years ago. Or this nice dark blue jacket I got at Goodwill a couple years ago. They're well-tolerated around the flight offices, (my chief pilot and and flight managers know I'm harmless to the operation in my slightly out-of-strict-guidelines attire) and anonymous enough to wear on layovers without being ratted out. Warm, too!

Not a chance. The uniform and title are used at work only.

Vapor condensing into visible moisture.

FAB

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 7, 2013 at 2:10 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:11 pm

I never heard anyone say our layover clothing was bad.
Not that it's bad, just how layover clothing tends to end up in a lot of pilot jokes and stuff. For example, flight attendant Heather Poole who has the blog "Galley Gossip" on gadling.com wrote an entry about it.
http://www.gadling.com/2010/02/03/ga...s-and-fashion/
I mean so it's joked about and stuff, but I personally love that style (especially what Poole describes in her paragraph: "acid washed jeans or khaki pants paired with a polo shirt...a Member's Only jacket.....Top Gun style Raybans with a brown leather bomber jacket."

Lol more questions....

(1) Do you remember the DC-10 airplane from the 1970's that had a lounge in coach? I saw the commercial on Youtube; it looked so freaking cool!

(2) Are jumpseats comfortable??

(3) Do you think the movie Airplane is funny?

(4) What do you think about people who are afraid of flying?? Is it understandable or is it rather unbelievable to you that people are? (For example, much like you often hear a cat lover say they don't understand how people could be afraid of cats).

(5) If any of you have a son or grandson (or daughter or granddaughter for that matter), do you hope he (or she) becomes a pilot or goes into aviation in one form or another?

(6) Did you ever have the opportunity to see a Navy jet land on a carrier?? That has to be one of the most amazing sights ever!!

(7) Were passengers really allowed to go into the cockpit and sit for a while before 9/11?

(8) Were you happy when President Bush raised the retirement age for commercial pilots to 65 from 60?? (I'd sure heard of a couple who were)! ; )

(9) Why does some turbulence give the sensation that the airplane is going down a flight of stairs? I was on a flight across the Atlantic one time and that happened...I thought the plane was landing LOL!!

(10) Are the only people who actually fly for free in your family your spouse and dependent children?? And, are buddy passes worth it? (I've heard of people bugging close family members of pilots so that they could get one)!

Last edited by kittiepride; Apr 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:49 pm

Not that it's bad, just how layover clothing tends to end up in a lot of pilot jokes and stuff. For example, flight attendant Heather Poole who has the blog "Galley Gossip" on gadling.com wrote an entry about it.
http://www.gadling.com/2010/02/03/ga...s-and-fashion/
I mean so it's joked about and stuff, but I personally love that style (especially what Poole describes in her paragraph: "acid washed jeans or khaki pants paired with a polo shirt...a Member's Only jacket.....Top Gun style Raybans with a brown leather bomber jacket."

I used to have one of those Members Only jackets, but it kind of clashed with my uniform because it was brown, not to mention from the last century.
Lol more questions....

(1) Do you remember the DC-10 airplane from the 1970's that had a lounge in coach? I saw the commercial on Youtube; it looked so freaking cool!

No, I don't. I only rode on a jet airliner five times before I was hired in 1986.

(2) Are jumpseats comfortable??

Does a chicken have lips?

(3) Do you think the movie Airplane is funny?

Hell yeah! That movie gets quoted at least once on every flight in existence!

(4) What do you think about people who are afraid of flying?? Is it understandable or is it rather unbelievable to you that people are? (For example, much like you often hear a cat lover say they don't understand how people could be afraid of cats).

I am completely understanding of fear of flying. I used to participate in Fear of Flying clinics in the '90s, and there's nothing fake or irrational about the fear. I don't like going near cliffs or ledges, even when it's completely safe. I recognize that a fear of flying and a fear of heights are two totally different fears.

(5) If any of you have a son or grandson (or daughter or granddaughter for that matter), do you hope he (or she) becomes a pilot or goes into aviation in one form or another?

I have no kids. Therefore, I have motorcycles. Same with my wife. I would never allow my bike to become a pilot, though.

(6) Did you ever have the opportunity to see a Navy jet land on a carrier?? That has to be one of the most amazing sights ever!!

Can't say that I have, but a lot of the F/Os that I fly with were doing it.

(7) Were passengers really allowed to go into the cockpit and sit for a while before 9/11?

Long before, yes. United has not allowed it since before I was hired, though.

(8) Were you happy when President Bush raised the retirement age for commercial pilots to 65 from 60?? (I'd sure heard of a couple who were)! ; )

W couldn't have cared less one way or another. He probably didn't even know it happened. It's debatable whether it's a good or bad thing, depending on the age and seniority of whichever pilot you ask. I had mixed feelings. My career got stagnated by five years, as did every pilot who was not on the verge of turning 60 when it was enacted. On the other hand, I'll have 5 more years of earning money to replace my pension instead of spending it, or more probably, flying a cargo plane filled of rubber dog-doo out of Hong Kong, as the famous saying goes, sort of.

(9) Why does some turbulence give the sensation that the airplane is going down a flight of stairs? I was on a flight across the Atlantic one time and that happened...I thought the plane was landing LOL!!

There are many kinds of air disturbance, and it depends on whether it's vertical or horizontal wind shear, mountain wave or some other kind of mechanical turbulence, and a host of other conditions. There is actually a set of terms that are meant to quantify it, and there are almost as many descriptions within that set as there are different types.

(10) Are the only people who actually fly for free in your family your spouse and dependent children?? And, are buddy passes worth it? (I've heard of people bugging close family members of pilots so that they could get one)!
"Free" is a misnomer. Since I have over 25 years, I do not get an additional deduction from my paycheck. Under 25 gets a hit. I don't give buddy passes to anyone except a friend who used to work for United, thus she understands the risks v rewards. It's space-available, and there's often no space available, so bottom line for employees and buddies alone: If you're going to a wedding or a funeral or going on vacation, buy a ticket. Unless the "Buddy" fully understands the risks, it's not worth it.

I say "free is a misnomer" because we have them in exchange for something else, like dollars per hour. So we pay for the chance to ride space-A whether we actually get to do it or not. I've watched lots of airplanes leave without me and my wife.This gig ain't all "Catch Me if you Can" or "PanAm", like everyone thinks

FAB

Last edited by freshairborne; Apr 8, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver:20548608
We're all very experienced pilots at United, captains just happened to be hired earlier.
This is great to hear - I hope that this is truly the attitude at UA and in any flight deck around the world (and beyond that, it would be great in any workplace).

Thank you to all of our pilots for your contributions here!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I say "free is a misnomer" because we have them in exchange for something else, like dollars per hour. So we pay for the chance to ride space-A whether we actually get to do it or not. I've watched lots of airplanes leave without me and my wife.This gig ain't all "Catch Me if you Can" or "PanAm", like everyone thinks[/B]

FAB
I like to call it hedging one's bets. There's going to be plenty of times where you'll go somewhere fun for the weekend, and have no problem getting there and back, but that one time where you absolutely, positively have to be somewhere important, you'll either have a hard time getting there, or worse, getting back. Even the best non-rev ninja will get burned sometimes.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:16 am

It's a benefit, but a weakening one. With more and more RJ's flying around, the ability to pass ride becomes almost useless based on where you live. The airport I live at is all UAX, so when the family and I travel, we either use the vacation pass (which is the good new benefit) if there are open seats, or we just buy tickets on Delta to avoid the whole pass riding debacle. Been stranded way to often to think of it as anything other than a stressful way to travel.

AD
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:27 am

It's a benefit, but a weakening one. With more and more RJ's flying around, the ability to pass ride becomes almost useless based on where you live. The airport I live at is all UAX, so when the family and I travel, we either use the vacation pass (which is the good new benefit) if there are open seats, or we just buy tickets on Delta to avoid the whole pass riding debacle. Been stranded way to often to think of it as anything other than a stressful way to travel.

AD
I heard that. My wife has seen the crew rest areas of too many Flight Ops around the system.

FAB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.