Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
It's a book about UA's history which Captain Flanagan hands out on his flights to the first passenger to ask about Channel 9.^ He also gives it out if someone asks for it, usually, or anyone else that cares (ie FT'ers).
Wow. Cool. Any other way to get it or is DF the gatekeeper?!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA1P on my way to 1K this year,DL GOLD,HH GOLD,*WOOD, segment king of cos
DC,
i had the lucky opportunity to be on a ord-den flight that was piloted by capt flanagan, my son actually spent a good 20 minutes up there talking to the fo and him, he had given out 2 books prior to us getting on board but my wife had a layover in den(delta atl based f/a) and she has freinds that fly for ual and they took her to the mainliner store at d.i.a. its below the mcdonalds on the b concourse. only ual employees are allowed down there but if you know someone that works for ual they should be able to get one for you(its called "age of flight"). also if any one has flown skywest lately out west, there is a skywest capt david livingston who is a awesome person along the same lines as flanagan, introduces himself to everyone in flirst class and has made his announcements from where the f/a does the safety demo, not gift happy as flanagan but def puts you at ease after his announcement
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by COS1P
DC,
i had the lucky opportunity to be on a ord-den flight that was piloted by capt flanagan, my son actually spent a good 20 minutes up there talking to the fo and him, he had given out 2 books prior to us getting on board but my wife had a layover in den(delta atl based f/a) and she has freinds that fly for ual and they took her to the mainliner store at d.i.a. its below the mcdonalds on the b concourse. only ual employees are allowed down there but if you know someone that works for ual they should be able to get one for you(its called "age of flight"). also if any one has flown skywest lately out west, there is a skywest capt david livingston who is a awesome person along the same lines as flanagan, introduces himself to everyone in flirst class and has made his announcements from where the f/a does the safety demo, not gift happy as flanagan but def puts you at ease after his announcement
Thanks Much. Until I meet Danny - sounds like I need to cruze E-bay!

EDIT: Or maybe not..... Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Flight-His.../dp/0966706110

Last edited by DCEsquire; Jun 2, 2008 at 7:56 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Thanks Much. Until I meet Danny - sounds like I need to cruze E-bay!

EDIT: Or maybe not..... Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Flight-His.../dp/0966706110
Yep, that's it! BTW, Captain Flanagan joined us at an FT dinner last year and brought a signed copy for basically everyone. Maybe he'll do the same again sometime soon, in which case be sure to join us!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Yep, that's it! BTW, Captain Flanagan joined us at an FT dinner last year and brought a signed copy for basically everyone. Maybe he'll do the same again sometime soon, in which case be sure to join us!
Great! I may pick up a few copies. Would love to go to a FT dinner - and with DF there it would be a no brainer. Now if only DF could get me DEQM for the flight there.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since so many people want to meet Captain Flanagan, I figured I'd post here that he'll be in Denver on August 28 and will be attending a FlyerTalk dinner. If anyone is interested in joining, please see this thread.

Trust me, you won't regret it!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:23 am

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

So I'm going to Manila to visit a friend and I decided to standby for the earlier flight 869 DEN-SFO this morning and not only did they comp me F but Denny Flanagan is our pilot

Hopefully I'll be this lucky the rest of my vacation!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Nice! ^

Hopefully that didn't blow your op-up karma for the trip, though...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TechGeek
So I'm going to Manila to visit a friend and I decided to standby for the earlier flight 869 DEN-SFO this morning and not only did they comp me F but Denny Flanagan is our pilot
And right now he's waiting for take off on UA856 SFO-DEN @ 11.06 so that he can fly to Denver and our Dinner with Captain Flanagan in Denver DO tonight.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Last Friday (1 week ago) he was passing through ORD on his way to a flight and walked past me with his flight bag toward security. He stopped though when he saw some kids with their parents, and gave each child a pair of wings and chatted with them for a bit. I walked past those families again 5 minutes later and they we enthralled with the wings he'd given them and the kids were superbly well behaved. Simple acts of kindness yield great long term results.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl94
The one thing that was strange was a pax's reaction to Cap. Flanagan. After I handed out the wine (for the signed 757 cards) the pax in 6C asked me what that was all about. I explained it to him and he had the strangest comment-"I'm not sure how I feel about such a pilot flying the a/c."

I explained to him that DF was very customer focused and tries to make each flight a good expierence for everyone involved. I'm still confused by this pax reaction and wish I had asked him what he meant by that.
He probably was a FAM .....
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those in the LA area that would like to meet Captain Flanagan, he'll be in town this Sunday and is up for dinner with FlyerTalkers. All are invited, simply RSVP in this thread.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Last Friday (1 week ago) he was passing through ORD on his way to a flight and walked past me with his flight bag toward security. He stopped though when he saw some kids with their parents, and gave each child a pair of wings and chatted with them for a bit. I walked past those families again 5 minutes later and they we enthralled with the wings he'd given them and the kids were superbly well behaved. Simple acts of kindness yield great long term results.
^ What an asset to UA he is!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I flew with Captain Denny on UA945 yesterday from ORD-LAX. It was a wonderful flight, of course.

And I got one of the signed cards too! A bottle of Australian Shiraz is now sitting on my kitchen counter, but my handwritten note of thanks from the Capt. is much more valuable to me.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^ What an asset to UA he is!
I'd go further and say what an asset to the human race he is. Captain Flanagan is the real deal -- someone truly concerned about making the world a better place for everyone and, better still, he puts his money where his mouth is -- he shared a number of stories last night in which he went out of his way to help people in need. He's truly a remarkable individual.

BTW, it was a pleasure to finally meet you IRL, MatthewLAX. I hope to see you again soon at another FT event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.