Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'd go further and say what an asset to the human race he is. Captain Flanagan is the real deal -- someone truly concerned about making the world a better place for everyone and, better still, he puts his money where his mouth is -- he shared a number of stories last night in which he went out of his way to help people in need. He's truly a remarkable individual.

BTW, it was a pleasure to finally meet you IRL, MatthewLAX. I hope to see you again soon at another FT event.
I agree with your comments about Captain Flanagan. And it was great to meet you too PTravel.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those in the Detroit area, check out this thread. He'll have another layover and is interested in having dinner with FT'ers. If you can make it, by all means do!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would love to meet him.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I would love to meet him.
It will absolutely be worthwhile if you can make it.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by chchkiwi
It will absolutely be worthwhile if you can make it.
+1 ^ ^
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Finally got the chance to fly with him. Had Captain Flannagan Sunday night on flt. 376 ORD-PHL. The oil pressure was high in one of the engines so we had about a 40 minute delay. Captain Flannagan walked around the gate area to field questions from anyone/everyone on the flight. He was exceptional throughout the whole experience. I was in 6D and was happy to receive one of his personalized business cards too.

Quick question -- He said he would have channel 9 on and would try to play the eagles game too. I tuned into channel 9 in and out throughout the flight but it was only playing the the XM kids channel. I would find it hard to believe that he would mention it but never turn it on? I had 4 flights this weekend with UA and none had channel 9 on.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm happy to hear about your great experience with Captain Flanagan, PHLstudent! I hope you mentioned to him you were a FlyerTalker.

As for Channel 9, even Captain Flanagan is only human, so maybe he forgot? It happens, even to the best of them. I would suggest asking the purser to ask the captain next time, especially if he says it'll be on.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
As for Channel 9, even Captain Flanagan is only human, so maybe he forgot? It happens, even to the best of them. I would suggest asking the purser to ask the captain next time, especially if he says it'll be on.
That generally takes care of it. Sometimes they forget to flip the switch and aren't even aware of it.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:43 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
I was excited to hear the purser on a recent DEN-SEA flight announce the captain's surname as Flanagan. I inquired with a flight attendant in flight about whether it is actually the famed Denny Flanagan, only to learn that it is his sister (!) Molly Flanagan. FWIW, it was a 757, which, AFAIK, is also Denny's aircraft-type.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I'm happy to hear about your great experience with Captain Flanagan, PHLstudent! I hope you mentioned to him you were a FlyerTalker.

I had a suspicion when he was walking around the gate area, and handing out the 757 spec cards as we boarded, but I was too shy to mention something then. But the purser than announced who the captain was after we were all on the plane. I was thinking of shooting him an e-mail just to commend him on the job he did, I hope that wouldn't be weird? He seems open to corresponding with flyertalkers (through dinners etc..)
Also the guy in 6A asked about channel 9 and she said she would check that it was on, but I couldn't tell if she actually asked. ORD was a mess this weekend so I figured everyone was a little stressed. I had flown through ORD on Saturday as well so I knew the storm damage (to flights) that was going on. (MR's to SEA in January are fun.)
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
I was excited to hear the purser on a recent DEN-SEA flight announce the captain's surname as Flanagan. I inquired with a flight attendant in flight about whether it is actually the famed Denny Flanagan, only to learn that it is his sister (!) Molly Flanagan. FWIW, it was a 757, which, AFAIK, is also Denny's aircraft-type.
Are you sure it was the captain and not the FO?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:56 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Are you sure it was the captain and not the FO?
Yes, quite sure the captain was announced as Molly Flanagan. Why?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:59 am

Yes, quite sure the captain was announced as Molly Flanagan. Why?
I just had a woman on a 757 who was the FO, and I kept overhearing her, the captain, and the purser talk about her brother.

Last edited by UAX_Brasilia; Jan 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I just had a woman F/A on a 757 who was the FO, and I kept overhearing her, the captain, and the purser talk about her brother.
A 'woman F/A...who was the FO'?

To add some complexity (but perhaps also clear things up), the FA on my DEN-SEA flight remarked that the "Flanagan pilots" are actually a trio -- Denny and two sisters. Perhaps one of the Ms. Flanagan pilots is a captain and the other is a FO?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:10 pm

A 'woman F/A...who was the FO'?

To add some complexity (but perhaps also clear things up), the FA on my DEN-SEA flight remarked that the "Flanagan pilots" are actually a trio -- Denny and two sisters. Perhaps one of the Ms. Flanagan pilots is a captain and the other is a FO?
Wow...sorry.

That'd be one heck of a job.

"Excuse me, can you please get me a Gin and Tonic?"

"One sec, I need to go contact Socal Approach."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.