Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by p1cunnin
(I still can't believe that I walked up to this guy and had him autograph a WSJ article. I'm a 45 year old geek for certain now! But hey, to us, this guy is Michael Jordan.)
Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I'm asking all pilots to sign UA cards on my current trip. I feel like a big, dorky adult kid.

(Thanks to lucky.)

Ever on the lookout for Captain Denny...
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:05 pm

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
I mentioned this in another thread but thought I'd post it here as well. Cap. Flanagan flew me home last night on my last leg of a 2-day. I was excited b/c I knew it was going to be a good flight. He greeted pax during boarding and passed out 757 cards (and other treats to the kids).

We had an atc delay so he shut down the engines, opened up the cockpit door and invited pax to the cockpit. He did the notes to all the elite MP members and we did the wine raffle. He also gave "The Age of Flight" to the purser and a cd to all the fa's.

It was great to see how many pax shook his hand before deplaning and it's amazing to see how much his enthusiasm affects everyone onboard.

The one thing that was strange was a pax's reaction to Cap. Flanagan. After I handed out the wine (for the signed 757 cards) the pax in 6C asked me what that was all about. I explained it to him and he had the strangest comment-"I'm not sure how I feel about such a pilot flying the a/c."

I explained to him that DF was very customer focused and tries to make each flight a good expierence for everyone involved. I'm still confused by this pax reaction and wish I had asked him what he meant by that.

Also, OT, but I was working w/ a great fa and we worked really hard that night, and a pax said to me that my flying partner and I were extraordinary (Her words). When I told the other fa she said "Can she put that in writing?" I started laughing b/c HELLO? People? Could you throw flygirl a bone? And any other fa you are impressed with for what ever reason?

AARRRRGGGHHHH!

Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:50 pm

Danny Flanagan!!!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:51 pm

Great to know he still does that and not only during snowstorms!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flygirl94
... the pax in 6C asked me what that was all about. I explained it to him and he had the strangest comment-"I'm not sure how I feel about such a pilot flying the a/c."

I explained to him that DF was very customer focused and tries to make each flight a good expierence for everyone involved. I'm still confused by this pax reaction and wish I had asked him what he meant by that.
Oh, a grumbly, glass-is-half-empty party pooper. Pity the poor guy.

... Could you throw flygirl a bone? And any other fa you are impressed with for what ever reason?
So you don't get thrown GTEMs very often, eh? And of course, the Average Joe Infrequent Flyer doesn't have them/ doesn't know any better.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
I explained it to him and he had the strangest comment-"I'm not sure how I feel about such a pilot flying the a/c."
Did this pax drink alcohol? I bet not. I imagine the pax was concerned about the pilot giving away alcohol. There are those who have such a negative view on alcohol that anyone associated with it makes them uncomfortable.

I have encountered this before.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Thanks to Capt. D, I have several pilots' autographs in my UA history book. They really like it.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
For anyone that may fly with him in the future, just a hint: Go ask him if Channel 9 will be on. There may be a special prize for the first person that asks.
Yes! I got "one of those" a few months back. I actually had been debating purchasing one on eBay to add to my UA collection, but Capt F gave me one before I bought one.

Originally Posted by Javan69
Thanks to Capt. D, I have several pilots' autographs in my UA history book. They really like it.
What a great idea. I've got mine in my travel laptop rollaboard, having vowed to only read it while airborne on a UA plane. It's really great reading, but after a couple of cocktails/wine I usually fall asleep with the book in my lap.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:22 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
The one thing that was strange was a pax's reaction to Cap. Flanagan. After I handed out the wine (for the signed 757 cards) the pax in 6C asked me what that was all about. I explained it to him and he had the strangest comment-"I'm not sure how I feel about such a pilot flying the a/c."
Must have been a bankruptcy creditor... afraid the employees are giving away the store...
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome story, flygirl!^ Sounds like a total idiot passenger, and I wouldn't think about it too much. 99.9% of the passengers LOVE what Captain Flanagan does, and of course the very small (and often vocal) minority will always find something wrong. Kudos to him for being as enthusiastic as always, and of course kudos to you and your flying partners for providing excellent service!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I'm lucky enough to have two Flanagan and one McFadden card. Wonder how many pilots make a complete set. Wouldn't be surprised to see these showing up on eBay :-)
Capt McFadden was captain on my LGA-ORD flight yesterday. He made an announcement to everyone in the boarding area about what he anticipated re the flight and the weather conditions in Chicago. Nice.

We didn't clear the upgrade list, and were in coach. The FA came thru with just 2 or 3 cards for folks in coach. My husband is PremEx and I am 1K. We got a joint card from him.

Classy!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Just was finishing the June 2008 AOPA Pilot Magazine and Captain Flanagan is profiled on the Pilots page.

At this point it is only available online to members of AOPA, and since it is a copyrighted publication I can not post the full article. However here is a little of the start of the piece which is fair use.

"When you board an airliner for that sardine-packed journey through the skies, someone in a uniform usually stands at the door and smiles mutely. Unless it’s Dennis Flanagan. A United Airlines captain, Flanagan has become a legend among travelers. He writes each first-class passenger a personal note on his business card. He snaps photos of pets inside the cargo bay to show owners the pet is OK."

AOPA members may access online.
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi.../plts0806.html
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome awesome awesome, he so deserves it!^ ^
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Javan69
What is the UA History book?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
What is the UA History book?
It's a book about UA's history which Captain Flanagan hands out on his flights to the first passenger to ask about Channel 9.^ He also gives it out if someone asks for it, usually, or anyone else that cares (ie FT'ers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.