Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Post in the thread with a comprehensive summary of best E+ seats

This thread is about the 2-class pmUA 767-300. Link to the 3-class pmUA 767-300 thread.
and the newest 763 config discussion is in 767-300 v3 -- Polaris seat

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
? Just wondering if it's free AVOD, or is it the old 767 UA style with 9 channels looping?
Free AVOD. The same system as is installed on the sCO 764s, with the Panasonic Eco9i integrated 'smart monitors' built into the seat shell. It's a really nice product, very modern-looking. This system will also be installed on the 787s.

Credit to LAXIntl from Airliners.net for snapping a quick photo of the new 67E Y-cabin.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Free AVOD. The same system as is installed on the sCO 764s, with the Panasonic Eco9i integrated 'smart monitors' built into the seat shell. It's a really nice product, very modern-looking. This system will also be installed on the 787s.
Good content, an absolute crap interface though
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good content, an absolute crap interface though
No argument here. I believe the 67E has the former UA interface, which would be great.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
So, this aircraft will eventually be on the SFO-IAH-LIM-IAH turns? If so, do we think IAH-LIM will remain eligible for complimentary upgrades? I wonder if we'll see EWR-LIM replaced with a 763 as well.
When IAH-LIM was operated by an aircraft with the BF seats recently they killed the CPUs on it. Only when they switched back to the old seats did they revert to the CPU program. As for EWR-LIM switching to the 763, my guess is that it will depend on loads/demand and cargo. If they don't otherwise have use for the 763 versus the 752 then they can easily make that swap.
So this 763 could be on the IAH-LIM flight right? I could see the swap occurring on the EWR route especially if there is a strong cargo demand.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
A one-size-fits-all approach is probably not the best way to maximize systemwide profitability. There are some mid-size markets that may call for such a premium-dense configuration, and those markets will get the three-cabin 67I, unchanged in number, to meet the demand. On the other hand, less-premium markets will receive aircraft with higher ratios of E- and two-cabin aircraft to better cater to the needs of that particular city pair.
There will be some very long-haul domestic markets where this config will go into play (I'm guessing anything CO previously flew domestically), but I highly doubt this investment is being made with a mainline focus where profitability is lower.

This is by no means a death knell for premium-dense configurations at UA. There are still at least a dozen 777s due to go in for IPTE mods into a very rich layout. UA could easily adjust the E+/E- ratios if they needed to, but they haven't. With such a large fleet, some of the drawbacks of operating a variety of configurations disappear with economies of scale.
This is the death-knell for F class (which is a trend overall; nothing new there) and the overall premium-class density has decreased (albeit slightly) by 2 seats versus the previous configuration.

Further, ORD-LHR are 763s (not sure if they're switching back to the 777s when the PMUA lie-flat configurations are finally completed), but if not I could just as easily see UA switching to the two-class cabin on that route as well even though it's far more traveled and elite-heavy.

Further, I see nothing wrong with the company attempting to maximize revenue on a given route. Let's face it, with stiff SkyTeam competition in the local and beyond markets (daily KL 747), ORD-AMS is hardly a marquee route for UA. (cf. IAD-CDG)
Given the significant lock AA + OW and UA +*A have on ORD, I fail to see stiff Skyteam competition out of ORD. KL's C seats out of ORD are angled and they only have one flight a day too, so I don't see KL being stiff competition either.

UA should increase revenue (and there are other ways to do it than cramming 75% more people across the pond at 31" of pitch), but that's not the issue at hand. The issue I made mention of was a press release stating the new configuration is beneficial to the customer in terms of "more comfort, choice, and value" when it clearly is not true compared to the previous configuration.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
F sales suck on ORD-AMS... They usually only sell 1 or 2 seats per flight on that route.

IME, it is rare for E+ to be booked full on international flights and often a good chunk of customers cannot select seats since E- is full and they have to wait until the airport for the agent to assign them into the E+ section.

Domestic routes is where I will be concerned with the # of E+ seats, internationally not so much since they are almost always wide open.
I believe more elites than you think will wind up in E- with the significant reduction in E+ seats in this new config, especially combined with less seats in premium-cabin space.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No argument here. I believe the 67E has the former UA interface, which would be great.
Really?!?! PMUA AVOD with PMCO seats? If so, that's kind of interesting.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
This is the death-knell for F class (which is a trend overall; nothing new there)
Agreed that we'll see fewer routes with it in the coming months and years.

Further, ORD-LHR are 763s (not sure if they're switching back to the 777s when the PMUA lie-flat configurations are finally completed), but if not I could just as easily see UA switching to the two-class cabin on that route as well even though it's far more traveled and elite-heavy.

There are plenty of 3-cabin 763s still around to fly the routes where they are warranted.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:35 pm

There will be some very long-haul domestic markets where this config will go into play (I'm guessing anything CO previously flew domestically), but I highly doubt this investment is being made with a mainline focus where profitability is lower.
If a three-cabin aircraft is deployed in a market where paid F cabin fares are infrequent to nonexistent, yet J sales are strong, or in a high-volume market with a lot of economy class travelers, moving to a higher-density, less-premium configuration allows the airline to capture more revenue at the same or similar fixed cost. On the other hand, where you have routes with strong premium demand but limited leisure/economy traffic, a high-density configuration leaves money on the table.

That is how a fleet with a diversity of premium:economy ratios serves an airline well.

This is the death-knell for F class (which is a trend overall; nothing new there) and the overall premium-class density has decreased (albeit slightly) by 2 seats versus the previous configuration.
Aside from the fact that there is clearly a global trend away from 'true' F cabins, this still doesn't make sense to me, because the 3-cabin 763ERs are not affected by this mod. The two-class 763s (becoming 67E) were formerly in high-density domestic configurations and did not serve front-line transoceanic routes.

It's possible, but entirely speculative on your part. Despite the extensive cross-fleeting since the merger, even on international routes, ORD/IAD/SFO/LAX-LHR have retained three-cabin service. The weight of the evidence does not point to this outcome.

Given the significant lock AA + OW and UA +*A have on ORD, I fail to see stiff Skyteam competition out of ORD. KL's C seats out of ORD are angled and they only have one flight a day too, so I don't see KL being stiff competition either.
KL dominates Amsterdam-originating traffic to Chicago and also offers extensive connections throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East over AMS. Although the product may be inferior and the service is only once a day, it is with a 275-seat 747-400 (Combi) as against United's 183-seat 767-300ER. I would call a competitor's 50% ASM advantage over the local hub carrier's capacity in the market stiff competition, though not necessarily evidence that one is 'beating' the other. Consider that AA and OW do not even offer ORD-AMS service.

UA should increase revenue (and there are other ways to do it than cramming 75% more people across the pond at 31" of pitch), but that's not the issue at hand. The issue I made mention of was a press release stating the new configuration is beneficial to the customer in terms of "more comfort, choice, and value" when it clearly is not true compared to the previous configuration.
I believe you are mistaken as to what the previous configuration actually was.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../300ER/v3.aspx

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:37 pm

Looks like 6674 isnt doing so hot it's first full day in service. Was late leaving SFO by 2 hours, and was supposed to fly to AMS tonight as 908, however its still experiencing mechanical issues, so now 908 will be operated by 6453. However 6674 is operating 908 on Wednesday.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Looks like 6674 isnt doing so hot it's first full day in service. Was late leaving SFO by 2 hours, and was supposed to fly to AMS tonight as 908, however its still experiencing mechanical issues, so now 908 will be operated by 6453. However 6674 is operating 908 on Wednesday.
Just beat me to it...I saw this as well. I wonder what the issue was with this a/c today. Not good for the first day back in service.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:21 pm

Just to be clear, these are the old ghetto birds, stripped of domestic F seats and replaced with CO BF seats and Y AVOD?

Did they swap the engines too?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Just to be clear, these are the old ghetto birds, stripped of domestic F seats and replaced with CO BF seats and Y AVOD?

Did they swap the engines too?
Correct.

The engines are all the same, but were uprated when they re-certified the aircraft at higher gross weights in preparation for the winglet mods and cabin update.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:56 am

Although delayed an hour, it looks like N674UA finally took to the skies last night as UA908 (ORD-AMS). However, the return flight to ORD today looks to be delayed 2.75 hours after returning to the gate with a mechanical issue.

Anyone have any clue what is going on with this a/c? It doesn't seem to be having a very good first week after the 4+ month conversion.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:45 am

Apparently (according to A.net) the 6 domestic 777's and 3 int'l non IPTE sUA 777's are getting reconfigured with 2-2-2 p.s. business seats and 3-3-3 non AVOD coach seats in a 2 class config. Anyone confirm/deny this?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ualisthebst
Anyone have any clue what is going on with this a/c? It doesn't seem to be having a very good first week after the 4+ month conversion.
Lot of new/overhauled systems on this bird. It's practically a new airplane. New deliveries tend to have some teething troubles, especially since this is the first ship. Subsequent mods and service reentries typically go much smoother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.