Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Post in the thread with a comprehensive summary of best E+ seats

This thread is about the 2-class pmUA 767-300. Link to the 3-class pmUA 767-300 thread.
and the newest 763 config discussion is in 767-300 v3 -- Polaris seat

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:40 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The reconfigured 763s will takeover some EWR-europe routes from the 757s, will fly deep south america routes, also some ORD-europe runs I believe. The first one is mostly flying ORD-AMS-ORD this week.
I believe IAD-CDG will get the reconfigured 763s down the road as well.

Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
Are you serious? They are replacing 3 class aircraft. UA J and F is much better then the premium class on this plane. Economy looks nicer, but they chose to install the most uncomfortable coach seat which is hard. CO has one of the worst coach seats in the indusrty in terms of comfort and I can't believe they chose it.
Have you ever flown in the new BE seats? Those seats are light days better than the old sCO seats, and I think the headrests on those seats are much better than UA's tiny uncomfortable Y headrests.

I believe those seats can be found on the reconfigured 764s, 737s with the sky interior, and maybe the 752s [I am not sure about that one].

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
IAH-LIM

So, this aircraft will eventually be on the SFO-IAH-LIM-IAH turns? If so, do we think IAH-LIM will remain eligible for complimentary upgrades? I wonder if we'll see EWR-LIM replaced with a 763 as well.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
So, this aircraft will eventually be on the SFO-IAH-LIM-IAH turns? If so, do we think IAH-LIM will remain eligible for complimentary upgrades? I wonder if we'll see EWR-LIM replaced with a 763 as well.
When IAH-LIM was operated by an aircraft with the BF seats recently they killed the CPUs on it. Only when they switched back to the old seats did they revert to the CPU program. As for EWR-LIM switching to the 763, my guess is that it will depend on loads/demand and cargo. If they don't otherwise have use for the 763 versus the 752 then they can easily make that swap.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
Are you serious? They are replacing 3 class aircraft. UA J and F is much better then the premium class on this plane. Economy looks nicer, but they chose to install the most uncomfortable coach seat which is hard. CO has one of the worst coach seats in the indusrty in terms of comfort and I can't believe they chose it.
Have you sat in the seat? Did you know that they are using the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle instead of old CO's Koito seats? Currently, these seats are only installed on the 9 retrofit 767-400ERs and the N674UA (67E). Have you flown on them? If not, trust me, they are much better than the old CO seats. It's not even close. These seats are good.

I'm not sure how sUA flat bed J is "much" better than the seats being installed on the 67Es. Sleeping comfort is a matter of preference, but there is no doubt that the BF seat is wider and offers more storage space than the sUA seat. Also, the sidewall pivot bins are larger on the 67E than on the 67I.

Yes, the F seat is good, but a given route needs to generate more paid F demand in order to receive three-cabin service. It appears ORD-AMS and IAD-CDG do not fit that bill, and the newly-reconfigured 767s are an improved inflight experience for nearly all passengers.

Also, you must not fly between the LAX and Hawaii. The 757-300 is the new ghetto bird and it is much worse the the 767-300 in coach. When PMUA flew the route I new I could get 2-3-2 in coach with E+. It is much nicer then 3-3 on the old 757-300. What a huge downgrade for PMUA flyers who are used to having an F class option and appreciate seat comfort in coach.
The 757-300s operating to Hawaii have E+ and a much wider F seat than was previously available on the domestic 767-300ERs. Sure, the downgrade from widebody to narrowbody is unfortunate, but the vast majority of mainland-US flying these days is operated by 737/757 anyway. At least UA still has 767/777 service from SFO/ORD/DEN/IAH/IAD/EWR to Hawaii.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
No, once it goes to BusinessFirst plane, BF rules will apply. CO did this a couple years ago with the 752.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
No, once it goes to BusinessFirst plane, BF rules will apply. CO did this a couple years ago with the 752.
Boo...that was a nice, long free upgradeable flight. I guess now the only way to get down on complimentary upgrades is through PTY.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764

I'm not sure how sUA flat bed J is "much" better than the seats being installed on the 67Es. Sleeping comfort is a matter of preference, but there is no doubt that the BF seat is wider and offers more storage space than the sUA seat. Also, the sidewall pivot bins are larger on the 67E than on the 67I.

The 757-300s operating to Hawaii have E+ and a much wider F seat than was previously available on the domestic 767-300ERs. Sure, the downgrade from widebody to narrowbody is unfortunate, but the vast majority of mainland-US flying these days is operated by 737/757 anyway. At least UA still has 767/777 service from SFO/ORD/DEN/IAH/IAD/EWR to Hawaii.
Question is have you flown UA business? Are you judging due to the 2 2 2 versus 2 1 2 configuration? The UA seat, believe it or not is wider. I've sat in both, and the UA seat is far more superior. It's not angled either. Have you flown pre merger UA? Not to make this a UA or CO thread, but again the UA Business seat is wider.

Are they getting new seats? I sat on one from IAH-ORD and my butt was sore. Also, the ghetto bird had more first class seats, but with UA selling upgrades for cheap, most passengers will be sitting in those bad bad E+ seats.

The new ghetto bird is trule the 757-300. I love the 757 my favorite plane for takeoff, but the 767 is way more comfortable for a passenger!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Looks like ORD-AMS is reconfigured and will go out on its first flight tonight:

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....267&highlight=

The net effect for the premium cabin and E+ from the pre-merger 763 isn't very comforting:

Old: (F/C/E+/E-) - 6/26/70/77
New: (F/C/E+/E-) - 0/30/49/135

There is a blurb in this press release that says, "The reconfigured 767-300 is just one more example of how we are redefining air travel by providing our customers more choice, greater comfort and better value." I, otoh, remain baffled how a 6% decrease in premium cabin space, a 30% decrease in E+, and a 75% increase in E- is providing these things.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
The 767-300 looks terrific with the new suites, but I havent seen the 777, 747 or the 380 suites yet. But if you're not in least a E+, transatlantic sucks. Your usual ORD pig slammed his seat back during the meal service, bruising my knees and spilling the dinner and drink all over me and instead of apologizing, he said he has control of his seat and can do what he wants, and the FA agreed. I told him as a pig, he probably does, as a human being he doesn't, and I kneed him all the way over except the 5 times he whined to the FA.

Last edited by chasbondy; Jun 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by chasbondy
The 767-300 looks terrific with the new suites, but I havent seen the 777, 747 or the 380 suites yet. But if you're in least a E+, transatlantic sucks. Your usual ORD pig slammed the seat back during the meal service, bruising my knees and spilling the dinner and drink all over me and instead of apologizing, he said he has control of his seat and can do what he wants, and the FA agreed. I told him as a pig, he probably does, as a human being he doesn't, and I kneed him all the way over except the 5 times he whined to the FA.
ha hilarious.....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
I, otoh, remain baffled how a 6% decrease in premium cabin space, a 30% decrease in E+, and a 75% increase in E- is providing these things.
The reconfiguration is from 2-class domestic to 2-class international. No 3-class international 767s are getting reconfigured to 2-class.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
The reconfiguration is from 2-class domestic to 2-class international. No 3-class international 767s are getting reconfigured to 2-class.
The ORD-AMS flight had the PMUA 3-class but now it is replaced with the 2-class reconfigured cabin. Even if it is not the exact same 763, the reconfigured cabin is a significant downgrade on this TATL route (especially the 20+ less seats in E+).
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Question is have you flown UA business? Are you judging due to the 2 2 2 versus 2 1 2 configuration? The UA seat, believe it or not is wider. I've sat in both, and the UA seat is far more superior. It's not angled either. Have you flown pre merger UA? Not to make this a UA or CO thread, but again the UA Business seat is wider.
Yes, somewhat extensively in both products. The numbers don't point to the same conclusion... the sUA IPTE C seat is 19" wide with armrests raised, 23.5" wide with armrests down. The sCO BF seat is 22" wide with armrest raised and 25-27" wide with armrest down.

You may prefer the sUA seat, and that's an entirely reasonable opinion to have. I find it to be a very comfortable, pleasant product once you get over the 2-4-2 arrangement on the 777 and 747 main deck. It's also good for traveling with a companion. I've never had a problem with the rear-facing seats, either. In fact, I get a kick out of them, especially on takeoff.

The sCO BF seat has noticeably more elbow and shoulder room. I'm not a small guy so that makes a difference to me, but at any rate, I'm just glad to have a flat bed. Look on the bright side... you could be flying AA J and seeing the world from a whole new angle!

Are they getting new seats? I sat on one from IAH-ORD and my butt was sore. Also, the ghetto bird had more first class seats, but with UA selling upgrades for cheap, most passengers will be sitting in those bad bad E+ seats.
Was it a reconfigured 764 (no) or one of a handful of Sky Interior 737s? If not, then you didn't have the new seats.

The new ghetto bird is trule the 757-300.
That, my friend, is called progress!

Looks like ORD-AMS is reconfigured and will go out on its first flight tonight:

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....267&highlight=

The net effect for the premium cabin and E+ from the pre-merger 763 isn't very comforting:

Old: (F/C/E+/E-) - 6/26/70/77
New: (F/C/E+/E-) - 0/30/49/135

There is a blurb in this press release that says, "The reconfigured 767-300 is just one more example of how we are redefining air travel by providing our customers more choice, greater comfort and better value." I, otoh, remain baffled how a 6% decrease in premium cabin space, a 30% decrease in E+, and a 75% increase in E- is providing these things.
A one-size-fits-all approach is probably not the best way to maximize systemwide profitability. There are some mid-size markets that may call for such a premium-dense configuration, and those markets will get the three-cabin 67I, unchanged in number, to meet the demand. On the other hand, less-premium markets will receive aircraft with higher ratios of E- and two-cabin aircraft to better cater to the needs of that particular city pair.

This is by no means a death knell for premium-dense configurations at UA. There are still at least a dozen 777s due to go in for IPTE mods into a very rich layout. UA could easily adjust the E+/E- ratios if they needed to, but they haven't. With such a large fleet, some of the drawbacks of operating a variety of configurations disappear with economies of scale.

Further, I see nothing wrong with the company attempting to maximize revenue on a given route. Let's face it, with stiff SkyTeam competition in the local and beyond markets (daily KL 747), ORD-AMS is hardly a marquee route for UA. (cf. IAD-CDG)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The ORD-AMS flight had the PMUA 3-class but now it is replaced with the 2-class reconfigured cabin. Even if it is not the exact same 763, the reconfigured cabin is a significant downgrade on this TATL route (especially the 20+ less seats in E+).
F sales suck on ORD-AMS... They usually only sell 1 or 2 seats per flight on that route.

IME, it is rare for E+ to be booked full on international flights and often a good chunk of customers cannot select seats since E- is full and they have to wait until the airport for the agent to assign them into the E+ section.

Domestic routes is where I will be concerned with the # of E+ seats, internationally not so much since they are almost always wide open.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Is the AVOD Free in Coach

? Just wondering if it's free AVOD, or is it the old 767 UA style with 9 channels looping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.