Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Reference the text you agreed to when enabling expert mode for the explanation:

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
(bolding in original)

For your selected flights/dates/etc, there is no currently eligible P or Z fare published. There may be P or Z fares for other markets that connect through Houston, or it may be unusable inventory.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZHE
Thanks for the replies. I tried different dates (Jan-Mar), duration of stay including staying over the weekend, all giving me the same.
Not uncommon for discount business fares to have 7 day or more min stay. Advance purchase requirement can be 60, 90, ... days. Also the discounts could be restricted to certain days of the week. Without reading the fare rules,we are only guessing (and that assumes there is a fare rule for those fares).

Easiest way is to call and ask what the fare restrictions are. Or purchase a subscription service that provides access to fare rules.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ZHE
Thanks for the replies. I tried different dates (Jan-Mar), duration of stay including staying over the weekend, all giving me the same.
If you can give a concrete example, including exact dates, times and flight numbers, where you see Z but can't book it, we can try to find the reason.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
...or it may be unusable inventory.
Not necessarily. Even if P/Z available, but no fares are filed, still available for others to change into from a different flight without a fare difference.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you booking a round trip or one-way?
UA discount fares for IAH-CDG all require RT

An example P fare rule,PNX66SNC, for your timeframe and route (IAH-CDG) is
ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/TICKETING
CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT
LEAST 60 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED.
TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 72 HOURS AFTER
RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 60 DAYS BEFORE
DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.

MINIMUM STAY TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN
THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND.
AND - TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER
THAN 24 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND.

MAXIMUM STAY TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN
3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ZHE
You might try same dates, but w/ origination out of DFW or SAT to see if a P fare comes back. IAH is a UA fortress hub, so they tend to extract a premium out of originators there.

edit: just looked at SAT and DFW - both come back at $7800 mid-February w/ 7 days, weekend stay. So there is non-stop IAH premium. Mid-February is also not far enough out to qualify for the better J area.

I can fly HNL-CDG, lie-flat all the way to/from, for $4200, purchase 90 days out.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 29, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ZHE
Expert mode showing Z and P available, but only offering D for purchase at $11,000. Is this normal?
I am not allowed to post images yet, but I am looking at round trip BF, from IAH to CDG mid February.
The entire fare table for IAH to CDG is reproduced below. It is very normal; I divided the fares into rough blocks of the type of traveler they target. If you fit the profile of a business (OPM) traveler - the lower blocks - they are more than happy to hit you up for $11k. Workarounds are usually an alternate origin or destination.

The first two P fares have a very tight seasonal restriction [1], and the PQ- fares have the summer seasonality [2]. All of the usual Z fares are available starting at a 60-day AP, plus some mildly decent P fares if you fly on the correct days. If you are purchasing with less than a 60-day AP, then yes you will pay a lot!

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 UA  PNA76SNC       P   J    $751.00  RT   7    S  12M            N
 UA  PNA26SNC       P   J    $851.00  RT  21    S  12M            N
 UA  PQX96SNC       P   J  $1,172.50  RT  90    S   3M    -X-     N
 UA  PNX66SNC       P   J  $1,315.00  RT  60    S   3M    [3]     N
 UA  PQW96SNC       P   J  $1,322.50  RT  90    S   3M    -W-     N
 UA  PNX67SNC       P   J  $1,465.00  RT  60    7   3M    [3]     N

UA  ZNX96ENC       Z   J  $1,675.00  RT  90    S  12M    -X-     N
 UA  ZNW96ENC       Z   J  $1,825.00  RT  90    S  12M    -W-     N
 UA  ZNX61ENC       Z   J  $1,925.00  RT  60   10  12M    -X-     N
 UA  ZNW61ENC       Z   J  $2,075.00  RT  60   10  12M    -W-     N
 UA  ZNX67ENC       Z   J  $2,075.00  RT  60    7  12M    -X-     N
 UA  ZNW67ENC       Z   J  $2,225.00  RT  60    7  12M    -W-     N

UA  ZNX96ERC       Z   J  $2,175.00  RT  90    S  12M    -X-    500
 UA  ZNW96ERC       Z   J  $2,325.00  RT  90    S  12M    -W-    500
 UA  ZNX61ERC       Z   J  $2,425.00  RT  60   10  12M    -X-    500
 UA  ZNW61ERC       Z   J  $2,575.00  RT  60   10  12M    -W-    500
 UA  ZNX67ERC       Z   J  $2,575.00  RT  60    7  12M    -X-    500
 UA  DNW67ERC       D   J  $2,725.00  RT  60    7  12M    -W-    500

UA  DNX86ERC       D   J  $4,108.50  RT  28    S  12M    -X-    500
 UA  DNW86ERC       D   J  $4,258.50  RT  28    S  12M    -W-    500
 UA  DNA86ERC       D   J  $4,558.50  RT  28    S  12M           500
 UA  DNX46ERC       D   J  $4,558.50  RT  14    S  12M    -X-    500
 UA  DNW46ERC       D   J  $4,708.50  RT  14    S  12M    -W-    500
 UA  DNA06ERC       D   J  $5,018.00  RT        S  12M           500
 UA  DNA40ERC       D   J  $5,018.00  RT  14  12h  12M           500
 UA  DNA00ERC       D   J  $5,341.00  RT      12h  12M           500
 UA  QRC0UPE        D   J  $5,341.50  RT   7   10  12M           500
 UA  CNX76ERC       C   J  $5,444.00  RT   7    S  12M    -X-    500
 UA  CXRC7E         C   J  $5,444.50  RT   7    S  12M    -X-    500
 UA  CNW76ERC       C   J  $5,547.00  RT   7    S  12M    -W-    500
 UA  CWRC7E         C   J  $5,547.50  RT   7    S  12M    -W-    500
 UA  CNA00ERC       C   J  $6,291.00  RT      12h  12M           500
 UA  C0RC0E         C   J  $6,291.50  RT      12h  12M           500

UA  DNA20EFF       D   J  $5,326.00  RT  21  12h  12M            Y
 UA  CNA00EFF       D   J  $6,291.00  RT      12h  12M            Y 
 UA  CR2E           C   J  $6,291.50  RT                          Y
 UA  CNY00EFF       C   J  $8,096.00  OW                          Y
 UA  C2E            C   J  $8,097.00  OW                          Y
 UA  JXR1           J   J  $8,276.00  RT           12M    -X-     Y
 UA  JWR1           J   J  $8,276.00  RT           12M    [4]     Y
 UA  JAR1           J   J  $8,526.00  RT           12M            Y
 UA  JX1            J   J $10,614.00  OW                  -X-     Y
 UA  JW1            J   J $10,614.00  OW                  [4]     Y
 UA  JA1            J   J $10,864.00  OW                          Y

[1]
   OUTBOUND -
     PERMITTED 23DEC18 THROUGH 25DEC18 OR 27DEC18 THROUGH
     03JAN19 OR ON 06JAN19 OR 14APR19 THROUGH 21APR19 OR
     25MAY19 THROUGH 29MAY19 OR 01JUL19 THROUGH 07JUL19
     OR 31AUG19 THROUGH 02SEP19 OR 24NOV19 THROUGH
     30NOV19 OR 19DEC19 THROUGH 05JAN20
   INBOUND -
     OR 23DEC18 THROUGH 03JAN19 OR ON 06JAN19 OR 21APR19
     THROUGH 04MAY19 OR 25MAY19 THROUGH 01JUN19 OR
     01JUL19 THROUGH 07JUL19 OR 24NOV19 THROUGH 30NOV19
     OR 21DEC19 THROUGH 04JAN20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.

[2]
   OUTBOUND -
     PERMITTED 30JUN19 THROUGH 05SEP19 FOR EACH
     TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.
   INBOUND -
     PERMITTED 07AUG19 THROUGH 06SEP19 FOR EACH
     TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.

[3]
   OUTBOUND -
     PERMITTED MON THROUGH WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.
   INBOUND -
     PERMITTED TUE THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.

[4]
   FROM UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED MON/SAT ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
   TO UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED SAT ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

[LETTER TEMPLATE RULES]
-X-
   FROM UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED TUE THROUGH FRI ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.
   TO UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED SUN THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.

-W-
   FROM UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED SAT THROUGH MON ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.
   TO UNITED STATES -
     PERMITTED FRI THROUGH SAT ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC
     SECTOR.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looking for advice for an upcoming trip. I’m on an L fare for an upcoming EWR > FRA flight. I called the premier desk tonight to inquire about upgrading my fare so I can use a GPU. They only offered U fare but I see other upgradable fares available. Any advise on when/if others will open up or what my approach should be? Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TavionT
Looking for advice for an upcoming trip. I’m on an L fare for an upcoming EWR > FRA flight. I called the premier desk tonight to inquire about upgrading my fare so I can use a GPU. They only offered U fare but I see other upgradable fares available. Any advise on when/if others will open up or what my approach should be? Thanks!
What do you mean, you see other upgradeable fares available? If you're talking about inventory buckets -- e.g. Y9 B9 M9 etc. -- that's a necessary but not sufficient condition for being ticketed. You also need a valid fare. When is your flight? Is it an outbound leg, return leg, or a one-way flight? Are you connecting beyond FRA?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I'm referring to inventory buckets (sorry, for the confusion). It's a round trip EWR > FRA (and back), departing on 3/17 on UA960. I was hoping to buy up to W, for example, so I can apply a GPU but the only fare available currently is U. From experience, will others open up between now and then that will be less expensive?
Let me guess -- you're traveling for less than a week?

UA currently has an unusual fare structure published for EWR-FRA. There are K and L fares published with a 12-hour minimum stay. However, the next fare up without a lengthy minimum stay -- after some Premium Economy fares that you won't be able to use because UA isn't offering PE for travel on 3/17 -- is the U fare you're seeing. The W, V, Q, and H fares all require either a seven-day stay or a Saturday-night stay.

So, to answer your question -- it's possible that UA will publish a new W fare without a minimum stay. However, I spot-checked a couple of days in the past year, and it looks like this is a pretty standard restriction for the W fares on that route. I'm actually surprised that the K and L fares are available for a short stay -- UA likes minimum stay requirements to try to distinguish business travelers from leisure travelers). So, I wouldn't imagine that it's likely.

That said, there's no PZ inventory available for your travel date, so you'd be waitlisted. I don't know what your existing ticket is, but the current up-fare looks like about $200 in each direction, and it's non-refundable if your upgrade doesn't clear. Your chance of clearing an upgrade on a Sunday night isn't particularly great anyway; although the flight's only booked 12/39 right now, there's a good chance that (a) there are other customers waiting to upgrade already, and (b) they'll sell quite a few more of those seats, as most business class seats are sold within a couple of weeks of departure.

Your alternative would be to waitlist a miles + copay upgrade for $550 + 20K miles in each direction. While the total cash is higher than the W fare would be, it's likely lower than the U fare, and you get the copay back if it doesn't clear. Otherwise, keep searching united.com by fare class for your dates (it's in the advanced search) and see if you see a W fare appear, but I don't think it's likely.

Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Let me guess -- you're traveling for less than a week?

UA currently has an unusual fare structure published for EWR-FRA. There are K and L fares published with a 12-hour minimum stay. However, the next fare up without a lengthy minimum stay -- after some Premium Economy fares that you won't be able to use because UA isn't offering PE for travel on 3/17 -- is the U fare you're seeing. The W, V, Q, and H fares all require either a seven-day stay or a Saturday-night stay.

So, to answer your question -- it's possible that UA will publish a new W fare without a minimum stay. However, I spot-checked a couple of days in the past year, and it looks like this is a pretty standard restriction for the W fares on that route. I'm actually surprised that the K and L fares are available for a short stay -- UA likes minimum stay requirements to try to distinguish business travelers from leisure travelers). So, I wouldn't imagine that it's likely.

That said, there's no PZ inventory available for your travel date, so you'd be waitlisted. I don't know what your existing ticket is, but the current up-fare looks like about $200 in each direction, and it's non-refundable if your upgrade doesn't clear. Your chance of clearing an upgrade on a Sunday night isn't particularly great anyway; although the flight's only booked 12/39 right now, there's a good chance that (a) there are other customers waiting to upgrade already, and (b) they'll sell quite a few more of those seats, as most business class seats are sold within a couple of weeks of departure.

Your alternative would be to waitlist a miles + copay upgrade for $550 + 20K miles in each direction. While the total cash is higher than the W fare would be, it's likely lower than the U fare, and you get the copay back if it doesn't clear. Otherwise, keep searching united.com by fare class for your dates (it's in the advanced search) and see if you see a W fare appear, but I don't think it's likely.

Good luck!
yes - returning 3/22, so somewhat shorter business trip. Unfortunately, the up-fare offered (U) would be ~$700 for only the outbound and then I’d be waitlisted. Hmmmm. Guess I’ll wait I to see if something opens up but how can I check other than calling?

thanks again!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...how can I check other than calling?
Enable expert mode and look for PZ yourself. Agents see the same thing you can and you don’t waste both your times.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Enable expert mode and look for PZ yourself. Agents see the same thing you can and you don’t waste both your times.
I use expert mode and there is no pz. I’m asking how I can see if there’s other fares (like w) open. I see W inventory but it’s not open. Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use expert mode and there is no pz. I’m asking how I can see if there’s other fares (like w) open. I see W inventory but it’s not open. Thanks!
Actually, I'm mistaken - if you really are GS, you're looking for PN.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm actually surprised that the K and L fares are available for a short stay -- UA likes minimum stay requirements to try to distinguish business travelers from leisure travelers). So, I wouldn't imagine that it's likely.
I didn't look, but it's one of the more common responses to competition that published a low fare with no restrictions (often ULCC competition).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.