Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Per the screenshot below, 'Z' or 'P' fare class is available, but I can only book 'A'. I'd reckon 'P' tickets should be much cheaper than 'A'. Why the disconnect? Why does system show availability, when the fare class is not bookable?
For future reference this and several other important factors are detailed in bold letters on the form where you enabled the display of fare buckets:

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:54 am

P class

Puzzled by United. Shows that there are 6 seats available in fare class P, but searching for a single seat in that specific class shows unavailable. Does anyone know why that is? Are these seats only bookable by certain travel agencies or something?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reason: Moved to consolidate discussion thread
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Inventory and fare availability are separate. P fare may not be available due to advance purchase requirements, minimum stay requirements, or because no applicable fares are available on the date in question (happens around holidays)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vgutkovsky
Puzzled by United. Shows that there are 6 seats available in fare class P, but searching for a single seat in that specific class shows unavailable. Does anyone know why that is? Are these seats only bookable by certain travel agencies or something?

In my experience, the problem is not that they are only bookable by certain travel agencies. It's because that fare is not available ORD to BWI but might be available if you were flying from other origin city through ORD to BWI. Maybe the origin city being somewhere in Asia or Europe or even in the US.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is addressed in my post above in the thread you were just merged into:

Originally Posted by mduell
For future reference this and several other important factors are detailed in bold letters on the form where you enabled the display of fare buckets:

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by prometa
Inventory and fare availability are separate. P fare may not be available due to advance purchase requirements, minimum stay requirements, or because no applicable fares are available on the date in question (happens around holidays)
I don't think any of those apply. This is 28 days out, which is more than enough for any advance purchase reqs (I think?). I tried adding a return flight a full week out and made no difference. And there isn't any holiday 11/30/2018.

But I'm very interested in the first part of your reply. Why would there be no published fares in a class if there's availability in that class. What does "availability" actually mean in that case?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I don't think any of those apply. This is 28 days out, which is more than enough for any advance purchase reqs (I think?). I tried adding a return flight a full week out and made no difference. And there isn't any holiday 11/30/2018.

But I'm very interested in the first part of your reply. Why would there be no published fares in a class if there's availability in that class. What does "availability" actually mean in that case?
There are no published ORD-BWI fares in P-class for November 30th. Inventory and fares are related but independent things--you need both a fare and the inventory to book a flight. The P-class inventory would still be used, for example, on an international through-fare in P-class (e.g. AMS-ORD-BWI), but United has decided it doesn't want to sell the ORD-BWI segment alone in P-class (at least for the dates you're searching).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I don't think I can answer your specific question but I have an example that kind of explains things (or maybe confuses things). In May 2018, I wanted to go ORD-MUC-ORD booked 70 days in advance and stay there 15 days. I could see that there was a P fare but it was not available for me to purchase it. I could only find a Z fare at $7,100. However, if I had wanted to go ORD-MUC-DEL-MUC-ORD for the same timeframe with the same advance purchase, I would have been able to purchase the P fare at $3,500.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:39 pm

Thanks, guys. This pretty much answers my question. If I can synthesize your answers, the common theme seems to be direct versus indirect. Meaning, that United holds some inventory in reserve for connecting flights. This helps a lot, thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's not about holding inventory in reserve. The inventory management process is totally separate from the fares which are filed for that particular route. All your observation means is that the inventory control says "we have enough seats in First that we feel comfortable selling 6 of them at a P fare level (and 3 to instrument-supported upgrades)" -- this determination is made completely irrespective of what fares are made available. In contrast, there are currently no fares filed for ORD-BWI which book into P. The lowest First fare on that route currently published is SAA2AKFN, a 21-day Z fare (which you see displayed).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:45 am
ZHE

Programs: MileagePlus
Expert mode showing Z and P available, but only offering D for purchase.

Expert mode showing Z and P available, but only offering D for purchase at $11,000. Is this normal?
I am not allowed to post images yet, but I am looking at round trip BF, from IAH to CDG mid February.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:44 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There are certain conditions to get a P fare that your dates and (maybe) departure city don't fulfill.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could be a minimum stay requirement. Advance purchase requirements over 30 days tend to be associated only with special sale fares, although you need to look at the fare rules to be sure.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Either you aren't fulfilling a condition for the lower P and Z fares. Or, there are simply no P or Z fares filed in the city pair right now. Sometimes, UA will leave fare classes open within the market, but not have a currently filed fare. A subscription to a service like Expertflyer would be needed to list all the fare basis' available, as well as the rules for each, to determine what the specific issue is.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:22 am
ZHE

Programs: MileagePlus
Thanks for the replies. I tried different dates (Jan-Mar), duration of stay including staying over the weekend, all giving me the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.