Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Going to piggy back on this thread. Looking at expert mode for a flight and see the following:
Available fare classes:F5 A3 JN5 C5 D3 Z3 ZN3

Using advance search I put in Z as the fare class and the results say

"United First
(Afare)
(lowest)"

If Z=3, why is A the lowest fare?

Because of this....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1826347-domestic-first-fare-table-outage.html
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Going to piggy back on this thread. Looking at expert mode for a flight and see the following:

"United First
(Afare)
(lowest)"

It's lowest available that meets the purchase conditions of the fare. The "Z" fare may have a 21-day advanced purchase requirement and you're trying to buy a ticket only 3 days out, etc.

Another common issue is United may not have filed a "Z" fare for the city pairs you are looking to book. Just because "Z" is available doesn't mean a fare is filed that you meet the criteria for. Example...SEA-ORD-LGA has a Z fare filed at $1,200 one-way. SEA-ORD has no Z fare filed. When you look up SEA-ORD in expter mode you will still see ALL fare classes that are available for sale on the flight.

So the simple rules from AAA-BBB:
Fare must be filed for the fare class
Fare class must be available on the flight(s) you want

If the fare class exists but no fare is filed for that class then you can't book it. If a fare is filed for a particular class but that class is not available then you can't book it.

-RM
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

"United First
(Afare)
(lowest)"

Because you need an eligible Z fare, that is lower than the lowest eligible A fare, to go with that Z inventory.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
While the above are all true, inferring from the inventory order this is a domestic flight, so the cause is most likely:

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:46 am

SFO-PVG Unpublished G class availability?

Hello!

I am trying to buy a cheap ticket for one-way economy-class SFO-PVG in May. Ideally I'd like to travel later in the month, but I see that pretty much all tickets from now on up until May 15 have G class (~$330) tickets available, whereas after May 16 the price doubles/triples.

Using Expert Mode, I see that for May 16 or later, the details show "G9" which means 9+ G-class tickets are available, and yet the lowest thing I can buy is an L-class ticket.

I am trying to understand what this means. Does it mean that some G tickets may be released later, that I am looking too early? Is it guaranteed that such a release would happen? How should I best proceed?

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice!
Attached Images  
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, lisao1994

Originally Posted by lisao1994
I am trying to understand what this means. Does it mean that some G tickets may be released later, that I am looking too early? Is it guaranteed that such a release would happen? How should I best proceed? ....
This likely means
-- No G fare rule for those dates have been placed in the system
or
-- The fare rules has restrictions your proposed trip does not meet -- such as stay length, travel days, requires RT ticketing, ...

So without knowledge for sure if a fare is filed and if it is, what the restrictions are. You will need to research but that requires a paid service to see filed fares.

The wiki (the thread's header post) may provide a better explanation.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to understand what this means. Does it mean that some G tickets may be released later, that I am looking too early? Is it guaranteed that such a release would happen? How should I best proceed?
All of the UA discount fares for SFO-PVG expire around 5/15. Spring is traditionally a low travel season, so airlines tend to be more aggressive with pricing then. Summer is high season, so it's less likely for low fares to be available. It doesn't look like UA refiled any G fares for late May last year, so I wouldn't expect that they will do so this year either.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Hello!

I am trying to buy a cheap ticket for one-way economy-class SFO-PVG in May. Ideally I'd like to travel later in the month, but I see that pretty much all tickets from now on up until May 15 have G class (~$330) tickets available, whereas after May 16 the price doubles/triples.

Using Expert Mode, I see that for May 16 or later, the details show "G9" which means 9+ G-class tickets are available, and yet the lowest thing I can buy is an L-class ticket.

There is a G fare filed for May 16. However, it has a 6 day stay minimum meaning you cannot start the return trip for at least 6 days after you arrive.

Give us an idea of what your proposed return date is and we can help you further.

Note: when I searched May 16-23 I am getting a "G" fare on both flights but the total is $1,107.

-RM
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, lisao1994

This likely means
-- No G fare rule for those dates have been placed in the system
or
-- The fare rules has restrictions your proposed trip does not meet -- such as stay length, travel days, requires RT ticketing, ...

So without knowledge for sure if a fare is filed and if it is, what the restrictions are. You will need to research but that requires a paid service to see filed fares.

The wiki (the thread's header post) may provide a better explanation.
Originally Posted by jsloan
All of the UA discount fares for SFO-PVG expire around 5/15. Spring is traditionally a low travel season, so airlines tend to be more aggressive with pricing then. Summer is high season, so it's less likely for low fares to be available. It doesn't look like UA refiled any G fares for late May last year, so I wouldn't expect that they will do so this year either.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
There is a G fare filed for May 16. However, it has a 6 day stay minimum meaning you cannot start the return trip for at least 6 days after you arrive.

Give us an idea of what your proposed return date is and we can help you further.

Note: when I searched May 16-23 I am getting a "G" fare on both flights but the total is $1,107.

-RM
Hello!

Thank you all so much for your help!

I am going to China for an indefinite amount of time, so I am purchasing an ONE-WAY only. What do you think is the best option from here? Thank you!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you all so much for your help!

I am going to China for an indefinite amount of time, so I am purchasing an ONE-WAY only. What do you think is the best option from here? Thank you!
In many markets, international one-way pricing is a completely different beast; it can cost more to fly one way than to fly a round trip.

Happily, SFO-PVG does not appear to be one of those routes -- at least, during the spring. However, as RobOnLI noted, the G fares published after 5/15 are filed as round-trip only. Also, UA has been playing games with their fares this summer, adding in massive "peak travel date" surcharges for many TPAC flights.

At this point, I would not expect UA to offer one-way G fares for SFO-PVG for late-May travel. However, nothing is impossible -- just unlikely. :-)

Your options, as I see them:
  1. Fly UA on or before 5/15
  2. Fly a different carrier. Using the Calendar search on matrix.itasoftware.com, I see, e.g., a $487 fare on Monday, 5/29. (The catch? It's on Swiss, via Zurich. On the other hand, you get 21 hours to enjoy Switzerland... :-) For a more... direct itinerary, try Tuesday, 5/23 on EVA via TPE for $556.
  3. Use frequent flyer miles. For example, that same Tuesday, 5/23, UA is wide-open for economy class awards (X class) for 35K miles.
  4. Pay what United's asking
  5. Wait and hope. :-)

BTW -- do you have valid PRC residency documents? Unless you're a resident, you may not be able to get into China -- or onto the plane in the first place -- without proof of onward travel.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like the issue has been mostly beat to death, but here's the bottom of the one-way SFO/SHA fare table for United. It illustrates the international markets are really messy with seasonal fares for different periods and holidays, and also the weekday/weekend difference. Also looks like most of these are sale fares, so don't wait too long! YQ is 175.00 per direction.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP   Days    Rf   T Start     T End      Expiry   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  GKE0IGM2       G   Y     111.00  OW      MTWRFSU   N     [1]        [1]     30-Apr-17
 UA  GHE0OGM0       G   Y     130.00  OW                N  06-May-17  15-May-17  30-Apr-17
 UA  GJE0OGM0       G   Y     130.00  OW      MTWRFSU   N  25-Dec-16  05-May-17  30-Apr-17
 UA  SLX0IGM7       S   Y     401.00  OW      MTWR      N     [2]        [2]     21-Apr-17
 UA  SLW0IGM7       S   Y     444.00  OW          FSU   N     [2]        [2]     21-Apr-17
 UA  LHX0IGM7       L   Y     487.00  OW      MTWR      N     [3]        [3]     21-Apr-17
 UA  WKX0IGM7       W   Y     487.00  OW      MTWR      N     [4]        [4]     21-Apr-17
 UA  LHW0IGM7       L   Y     530.00  OW          FSU   N     [3]        [3]     21-Apr-17
 UA  WLX0OUMD       W   Y     581.00  OW      MTWR      N     [5]        [5]

[1] seasonality: perm outbound 04,11,18-25,27-28Apr17
[2] seasonality: perm outbound 01Jan-17Apr, 27Aug-03Oct, 24Oct-09Dec
[3] seasonality: perm outbound 06May-20May, 04Jul-14Aug
[4] seasonality: perm outbound 18Apr-05May, 15Aug-26Aug, 04Oct-23Oct, 25Dec-31Dec
[5] seasonality: perm outbound 30Jan-29Apr, 27Aug-09Dec, 25Dec-14Jan
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
In many markets, international one-way pricing is a completely different beast; it can cost more to fly one way than to fly a round trip.

Happily, SFO-PVG does not appear to be one of those routes -- at least, during the spring. However, as RobOnLI noted, the G fares published after 5/15 are filed as round-trip only. Also, UA has been playing games with their fares this summer, adding in massive "peak travel date" surcharges for many TPAC flights.

At this point, I would not expect UA to offer one-way G fares for SFO-PVG for late-May travel. However, nothing is impossible -- just unlikely. :-)

Your options, as I see them:
  1. Fly UA on or before 5/15
  2. Fly a different carrier. Using the Calendar search on matrix.itasoftware.com, I see, e.g., a $487 fare on Monday, 5/29. (The catch? It's on Swiss, via Zurich. On the other hand, you get 21 hours to enjoy Switzerland... :-) For a more... direct itinerary, try Tuesday, 5/23 on EVA via TPE for $556.
  3. Use frequent flyer miles. For example, that same Tuesday, 5/23, UA is wide-open for economy class awards (X class) for 35K miles.
  4. Pay what United's asking
  5. Wait and hope. :-)

BTW -- do you have valid PRC residency documents? Unless you're a resident, you may not be able to get into China -- or onto the plane in the first place -- without proof of onward travel.
Originally Posted by findark
Looks like the issue has been mostly beat to death, but here's the bottom of the one-way SFO/SHA fare table for United. It illustrates the international markets are really messy with seasonal fares for different periods and holidays, and also the weekday/weekend difference. Also looks like most of these are sale fares, so don't wait too long! YQ is 175.00 per direction.

Code:
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP   Days    Rf   T Start     T End      Expiry   
 UA  GKE0IGM2       G   Y     111.00  OW      MTWRFSU   N     [1]        [1]     30-Apr-17
 UA  GHE0OGM0       G   Y     130.00  OW                N  06-May-17  15-May-17  30-Apr-17
 UA  GJE0OGM0       G   Y     130.00  OW      MTWRFSU   N  25-Dec-16  05-May-17  30-Apr-17
 UA  SLX0IGM7       S   Y     401.00  OW      MTWR      N     [2]        [2]     21-Apr-17
 UA  SLW0IGM7       S   Y     444.00  OW          FSU   N     [2]        [2]     21-Apr-17
 UA  LHX0IGM7       L   Y     487.00  OW      MTWR      N     [3]        [3]     21-Apr-17
 UA  WKX0IGM7       W   Y     487.00  OW      MTWR      N     [4]        [4]     21-Apr-17
 UA  LHW0IGM7       L   Y     530.00  OW          FSU   N     [3]        [3]     21-Apr-17
 UA  WLX0OUMD       W   Y     581.00  OW      MTWR      N     [5]        [5]

[1] seasonality: perm outbound 04,11,18-25,27-28Apr17
[2] seasonality: perm outbound 01Jan-17Apr, 27Aug-03Oct, 24Oct-09Dec
[3] seasonality: perm outbound 06May-20May, 04Jul-14Aug
[4] seasonality: perm outbound 18Apr-05May, 15Aug-26Aug, 04Oct-23Oct, 25Dec-31Dec
[5] seasonality: perm outbound 30Jan-29Apr, 27Aug-09Dec, 25Dec-14Jan
Thank you both! I am understanding the system a lot better now, and was able to find similar information myself. Just bought the 5/15 G-fare before it ran out!

PS. I am from China
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:30 am

Expert Mode

The cheapest fare I am seeing available via expert mode is K9. However, the cheapest I am able to book is a T fare. What gives and can I force K fares to become available? I have tried searching for this fare bucket via expert mode but had no luck.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Andrew Que
Originally Posted by Andrew Que
The cheapest fare I am seeing available via expert mode is K9. However, the cheapest I am able to book is a T fare. What gives and can I force K fares to become available? I have tried searching for this fare bucket via expert mode but had no luck.
As summarized in the thread's wiki,
There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for those O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class
All three, not just inventory, must be meet to be all to purchase at ticket.

The fare rules issue is commonly the problem.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:56 pm

How can I find a fare?

I'm looking to book a flight, where my last leg is the below. It says there is D9 available. Whenever I try to book, I only get C fares which are super expensive. I have tried starting in SIN and returning to SIN. I've tried doing another starting city (PVG-SFO-SIN) and still get C. I've tried different lengths of stays.

Is there a way I can find the fare rules or something to figure out what criteria I have to meet to get a D fare instead of a C fare?

PS - I can get a "D" fare one way, but it's also super expensive. I assume a D fare in a round trip should be quite a bit cheaper.

San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) to Singapore, SG (SIN)
UA 1 | Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Depart SFO: Sat, Aug 12
Arrive SIN: Mon, Aug 14

Red-eye flight
Available fare classes:J9JN9C9D9Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9 H9HN9Q9V0W0S0T0L0K0G0N0XN0X0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.