Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic First Fare Table Outage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Domestic First Fare Table Outage

Appears to be ALL CLEAR now as of ~midday March 1

I don't really know what else to call it.. I assume everyone else is seeing the results I'm seeing. Someone pushed a typo to the Category 4 block on all 'F' scale domestic fares. This means that all discount First fares will fail to price, with the exception of a few select hub-hub routes where there are some new 'K' scale fares being experimented with.

Symptom is that any domestic First ticket will price extraordinarily high, as the lowest priceable fare on most routes is currently YAA00UPY (think $910 SFO-LAX, $1,872 SFO-BOS).

Looks to be a pretty obvious bug and hopefully someone at UA fixes soon:

From Category 4 (note the logical contradiction A && not A):

Code:
 AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           UA FLIGHTS 4051 THROUGH 4084 OPERATED BY 3M
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9K
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9L
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AX
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY C5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY EV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY G7
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OO
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY RP
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY S5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XE
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YX.
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           UA FLIGHTS 4051 THROUGH 4084 OPERATED BY 3M
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9K
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9L
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AX
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY C5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY EV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY G7
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OO
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY RP
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY S5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XE
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YX.

Last edited by findark; Mar 1, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I noticed that about an hour ago. First class was pricing out unbelievably high. I thought United was just being greedy on that route.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Wow, just checked PHL-ORD, and a few weeks out I can usually see first class fares for around $250.00 one way and now everything is around $975.00 to $1500!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not just domestic. I'm seeing it on YVR-SFO as well.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
And something's wrong with international codeshares as well. At least LH
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Could this be related to the disruption of Amazon's cloud servers earlier today?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm not sure what to think. Checking fares, they are extremely high, but showing as "A", not "F".
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah that must be a filing bug -- there is no way the "MUST NOT BE ON … ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA" makes sense.

If you can express the problem even more succinctly than this and send @united a Tweet, I bet they'll escalate & fix it pretty quickly. "Hey guys notice most First class tickets stopped pricing. Also, most of them seem to have the following new fare rule which looks like an obvious typo." + screenshot should just about do it.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:51 pm

Unhappy Thank God it wasn't just me....

I had the same problem for a couple days now...the fare I usually see on my route is $900-$1,200 for a typical P fare round trip.....right now the same flights are pricing at $2,200 round trip at a minimum.....sigh...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're not kidding . . . $1818 for a RT A fare SFO-LAX. Don't think they'll be selling many of those . . . .

Kind of surprising this has survived so long without a fix.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Yeah that must be a filing bug -- there is no way the "MUST NOT BE ON … ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA" makes sense.

If you can express the problem even more succinctly than this and send @united a Tweet, I bet they'll escalate & fix it pretty quickly. "Hey guys notice most First class tickets stopped pricing. Also, most of them seem to have the following new fare rule which looks like an obvious typo." + screenshot should just about do it.
Right; note also that the first block is "MUST NOT BE ON..." and the second block is "MUST BE ON..." the same set of flights.

I'm not on Twitter, but something along the lines of "discount domestic first class fares won't price because the of a typo in the rules" with a screenshot for the cat4 block should fit in one tweet.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Kind of surprising this has survived so long without a fix.
Maybe nobody empowered to fix is on-call and nobody noticed until after business hours? I'll even more surprised if this makes it to 6pm CST tomorrow. If I needed a ticket it might be a fun chat with the rate desk..
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold
I attempted to use Twitter w screenshots of a fare table. ..no resolution. I called Rez and after unsuccessfully asking the agent to display the tariff was put on hold. Agent called rate desk and was told all the -up fares were now eliminated due to a massive restructuring of fares last night --I give up
>>>>>I did get to call yet again and 75 min later web support after calling the rate desk admitted "there is an issue " and suggested I wait 24hrs to book....

Last edited by drgreg; Mar 1, 2017 at 2:37 pm Reason: Addition to text
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Sat on phone with GS agent, pricing was bonkers. Called rate desk, was able to start re-pricing, and then as we were doing that, the price glitches went away. Website prices back to normal. Whew!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
You beat me to it. Just did a quick check and first class fares seem back to normal. Back to $260 one way on PHL-ORD, versus $995 an hour ago!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's partially fixed. But looking at SFO-LAX (route I'm familiar with) the prices are still higher than they should be and the competitive fares are only offered on sporadic dates. Many dates are still $1818 RT.

Still not close to 100% fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.