Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:24 pm
tyc

Programs: UA GS MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Filed fares change all the time.

UA withdrew a whole bunch of discount international fares last week, including the P fare on this route. There was a thread about it.

IIRC, there's a discount fare from YYZ, and UA just added back the discount fare from EWR.
Thanks, what is the title of that thread? I have just called United and the agent was puzzled first and decided to ask the rate desk to clarify... He came back saying the p fare of that route is now only available for 14 days stay. I am flexible in terms of transits and even using other cities in that area as a jump off points in Asia. Any suggestions in terms of strategies to deal with this new change? Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by tyc
I am trying to search p fares on flexible dates, BOS-HKG round trip. United.com only show Z as the lowest fare available. When I click on details pull down menu, it shows P9 in most dates I am looking at in Jan. What could I be possibly doing wrong? I tried advanced search too and specify P fares, but no luck in that way of searching neither. Please help.
It's annoying, because it can appear that the fare is offered - when it really isn't.

Here's a more important question: Are you married to flying UA on this route? Do you need the miles/ status? If not, I would imagine there are many other carriers on the route with competitive P (or similar) fares.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:34 pm
tyc

Originally Posted by zrs70
It's annoying, because it can appear that the fare is offered - when it really isn't.

Here's a more important question: Are you married to flying UA on this route? Do you need the miles/ status? If not, I would imagine there are many other carriers on the route with competitive P (or similar) fares.
I am trying to first stick to UA but will fly with others if it becomes less sensible to do so. I have been doing p fare one way and w with a GPU the other way and it has helped to stretch my budget...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tyc
I have just called United and the agent was puzzled first and decided to ask the rate desk to clarify... He came back saying the p fare of that route is now only available for 14 days stay. I am flexible in terms of transits and even using other cities in that area as a jump off points in Asia. Any suggestions in terms of strategies to deal with this new change? Thanks
Actually there're two P fares (not especially cheap though), one with a 50 day AP and a 10 day minimum stay, and one with a 7 day AP with a 14 day minimum stay.

There's a considerably cheaper P fare with a 14 day AP and 7 day minimum stay EWR-HKG.

There's also a cheap P YYZ-HKG with no minimums.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not going to help you find a P fare BOS-HKG. As several people have already explained, there is no P fare filed for that route.
Actually Expert Flyer can help find P fares very easily. I checked for the OP, and there are P fares filed for BOS/HKG, but just not for his dates (depending on what he is searching), and certainly not at a price anyone would consider a bargain....however one can find a very cheap P fare BOS-PEK, or YYZ-HKG, or a host of other combinations. It just takes patience and searching, and some flexibility with dates to get the right match.

OP: what specific dates are you looking for, outbound and return? Are you flexible? Would you buy one ticket BOS-YYZ for maybe $200, then another $150 to overnight at YYZ airport, in order to get a sub-$2,500 P fare to HKG via ORD, SFO or EWR that departs from and returns to YYZ?

If you are strict about dates and the routing, then you probably will not find what you're looking for.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually Expert Flyer can help find P fares very easily. I checked for the OP, and there are P fares filed for BOS/HKG, but just not for his dates (depending on what he is searching), and certainly not at a price anyone would consider a bargain....however one can find a very cheap P fare BOS-PEK, or YYZ-HKG, or a host of other combinations.
And if you keep reading, I described those (except BOS-PEK).

There were no P fares BOS-HKG that had less than a 10 day minimum stay, which in OP's case is equivalent to no P fare
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:01 am
tyc

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually Expert Flyer can help find P fares very easily. I checked for the OP, and there are P fares filed for BOS/HKG, but just not for his dates (depending on what he is searching), and certainly not at a price anyone would consider a bargain....however one can find a very cheap P fare BOS-PEK, or YYZ-HKG, or a host of other combinations. It just takes patience and searching, and some flexibility with dates to get the right match.

OP: what specific dates are you looking for, outbound and return? Are you flexible? Would you buy one ticket BOS-YYZ for maybe $200, then another $150 to overnight at YYZ airport, in order to get a sub-$2,500 P fare to HKG via ORD, SFO or EWR that departs from and returns to YYZ?

If you are strict about dates and the routing, then you probably will not find what you're looking for.
Thank you, that is very helpful. My dates are pretty flexible, but would likely keeping my trips under 10 days.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by tyc
Thank you, that is very helpful. My dates are pretty flexible, but would likely keeping my trips under 10 days.
i was recently in the same predicament I fly from EWR-HKG several times a year and for some reason flights are now 9k round trip

ended up booking an LGA-YYZ leg to then fly YYZ-EWR-HKG same in return

all that booked for under $4k

irs dumb
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I need just 43 PQM's to get to 125,000 PQM's to get another 2 RPU's (so this question isn't technically for one of the "I need xx miles to get to xxx level" threads).

I've tried multiple short itineraries to get the Premier Accelerator and can't find anything pricing under $250 ($50 for required RDM purchase, then $200 for 1,000 PQM's).

Anyone see anything less expensive for fewer PQM's? Given the challenges of using RPU's (especially from EWR), I'd prefer to get under $200 for the two of them.

Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I need just 43 PQM's to get to 125,000 PQM's to get another 2 RPU's (so this question isn't technically for one of the "I need xx miles to get to xxx level" threads).

I've tried multiple short itineraries to get the Premier Accelerator and can't find anything pricing under $250 ($50 for required RDM purchase, then $200 for 1,000 PQM's).

Anyone see anything less expensive for fewer PQM's? Given the challenges of using RPU's (especially from EWR), I'd prefer to get under $200 for the two of them.

Thanks.
Never seen a PQM offer for lower than 1000 PQM. Unlikely to find a lower price per mile this close to year end. Offer prices tend to go up as time runs out.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
EWR LHR "No P-Fare in this Market"

Trying to book EWR LHR in February in Business class ... despite R=9 on almost every flight, .bomb forces me into a Z fare at $6600. Call up and am told that there are no P fares for the EWR LHR market. Anyone else had/having this issue?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reason: Moved into appropriate master thread
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RJNYC
Trying to book EWR LHR in February in Business class ... despite R=9 on almost every flight, .bomb forces me into a Z fare at $6600. Call up and am told that there are no P fares for the EWR LHR market. Anyone else had/having this issue?

Having inventory in the P bucket is only half the requirement.
There also needs to be a valid P fare filed for your route. Doesn't appear there is one for your city pairs / dates.

This is disclosed to you when you agree to terms to access Expert Mode.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Having inventory in the P bucket is only half the requirement.
There also needs to be a valid P fare filed for your route. Doesn't appear there is one for your city pairs / dates.

This is disclosed to you when you agree to terms to access Expert Mode.
However, $208 for a K fare plus a $550 co-pay and 20K miles isn’t a bad price, and may well be cheaper than any P fare they were going to offer. And R (upgrade) space is plentiful and would clear immediately...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan

However, $208 for a K fare plus a $550 co-pay and 20K miles isn’t a bad price, and may well be cheaper than any P fare they were going to offer. And R (upgrade) space is plentiful and would clear immediately...
Yep. And looks like W fare can be had for $534 (depending on return date, I guess), which would allow GPU use.
Actually, I am not seeing the $208 on direct flights.

OP - what are the dates and city pair you are actually searching for?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yep. And looks like W fare can be had for $534 (depending on return date, I guess), which would allow GPU use.
Actually, I am not seeing the $208 on direct flights.

OP - what are the dates and city pair you are actually searching for?
It's a work trip so I can book paid business rather than W+GPU. Need to be in London the week of Feb 12 ... surprised the prices are so high, low season, and lots of inventory for sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.