Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by babson1
General question on limitations of Fare Class buckets. I am trying to book RT Business/First between IAD - SJD for December travel for party of 2. Apparently there is one fare in C class and the rest are J. So in this instance when booking for a party of 2 on same itinerary 1 will price in C and the other in J at a 150% of the C fare. Currently the entirety of Business/First is empty. I called the 1K desk to see if both could be priced in the C bucket given same itinerary/same confirmation #. They told me to pound sand after talking to "fare desk". Any suggestions of possible remedy? Alternate route to bring to better resolution (from my point of view clearly). I have not experienced this situation in last 15 years of flying almost exclusively on UA.

I do appreciate any insight fellow FTers can offer.

Kind regards and stay healthy!
I'd suggest booking one pax and waiting over night to see if the lower fare becomes available for a second pax
If it doesn't you can always cancel.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If there is C1 then there is C1 and no way to book 2 pax under a C fare. For December I would argue to wait or as it has been suggested, buy 1 and wait 23 hours to see if C1 comes back.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in this instance when booking for a party of 2 on same itinerary 1 will price in C and the other in J at a 150% of the C fare.
That's not correct. If you book a party of two on the same itinerary, both will price into J. It is not possible to have a single PNR with passengers in different fare buckets.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
General question on limitations of Fare Class buckets. I am trying to book RT Business/First between IAD - SJD for December travel for party of 2. Apparently there is one fare in C class and the rest are J. So in this instance when booking for a party of 2 on same itinerary 1 will price in C and the other in J at a 150% of the C fare. ....
To be on a common PNR, the fare classes must be the same. If a fare class has insufficient inventory, the next higher fare class will be user. These are basic ticketing rule (moved the query into a thread with a wiki on the requirements to form a bookable ticket).

Short of the fare desk opening more inventory on request (very rare occurrence except for when UA has created a problem to an existing ticket), some other approach will be needed.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA ExP, UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG PlatInum
Inventory showing in P but booking engine insists on Z

I'm trying to book a ticket PHX-EDI in biz class for a trip in October. Most results come back as booking in Z class (some higher), but all the flights I select show inventory in P class (all the United flights show P9 and the 2 codeshare flights show P6 and P4 respectively). If all flights show space in P class, why won't it bring back a P booking option? I called United premier desk and the agent I talked to put me on hold to have the ticketing department reprice the flights. She came back saying they couldn't book it in P, saying it wasn't available, though she couldn't exactly explain why that was the case (other than the canned "inventory changes quickly" response). I can accept that if something showed as P1 or P2 even, but given the current market conditions, I really don't see inventory changing that quickly. I've been looking at the same flights for a few days and there's been zero change in inventory.

I'm guessing there's a better explanation, and I'm hopeful one of our resident United gurus has it. Can someone educate me as to how that could happen? TIA
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
To book into a booking class, you need both the inventory in that booking class (which you see) and a fare available in that booking class that meets the requirements for the requested trip. United doesn't have any P fares published for PHX-EDI in October (that I can see at first glance), so you only had one half of the equation.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
To book into a booking class, you need both the inventory in that booking class (which you see) and a fare available in that booking class that meets the requirements for the requested trip. United doesn't have any P fares published for PHX-EDI in October (that I can see at first glance), so you only had one half of the equation.
Thanks for the quick response. Where would I be able to see what fares United has published for a given city pair and dates? This way I can save both my time and a United agent's time in the future.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by stephanos99
Thanks for the quick response. Where would I be able to see what fares United has published for a given city pair and dates? This way I can save both my time and a United agent's time in the future.
You'd need to subscribe to a tool like ExpertFlyer. As far as I know, there is no free source for all of that information.

Even if you had access to all the fares that are published, interpreting the fare rules to find one that is applicable to a trip is an incredibly involved process. For example, there may be a Z fare published for your route, but it's only applicable for travel on Tuesdays and you must stay at least 10 days at the destination, so the cheapest fare that is actually applicable to your trip is a D fare. You can use a better fare search engine like ITA Matrix or Google Flights to get a better sense of what is actually available when united.com is acting up though.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
You'd need to subscribe to a tool like ExpertFlyer. As far as I know, there is no free source for all of that information.

Even if you had access to all the fares that are published, interpreting the fare rules to find one that is applicable to a trip is an incredibly involved process. For example, there may be a Z fare published for your route, but it's only applicable for travel on Tuesdays and you must stay at least 10 days at the destination, so the cheapest fare that is actually applicable to your trip is a D fare. You can use a better fare search engine like ITA Matrix or Google Flights to get a better sense of what is actually available when united.com is acting up though.
Thanks again for the information. At least now I have an explanation for what I was seeing. I appreciate the help.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2024 at 10:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.