Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TavionT
yes - returning 3/22, so somewhat shorter business trip. Unfortunately, the up-fare offered (U) would be ~$700 for only the outbound and then I’d be waitlisted. Hmmmm. Guess I’ll wait I to see if something opens up but how can I check other than calling?
You can search for a W fare, just as you’re doing. Search with your actual flight dates and fare class set to W, or W, V, Q if you want to give them a couple of choices. If a fare comes up in the “selected fare class” column, they’ve published something.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Actually, I'm mistaken - if you really are GS, you're looking for PN.
Yes, I am GS but unfortunately no PN. thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Until when can a GPU be applied to an itinerary? I am booked on LAX-SYD in G, which doesn’t qualify for GPU usage. The W-fare would’ve cost 3 times as much as the G-fare, with no PZ-inventory currently available.

My plan is to SDC at T-24h to a W-fare, and then apply the GPU - IF PZ is available. Thoughts?

thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
GPU can be applied prior to T-25h of the target flight without issue. Within that deadline, you need an agent override and they will usually only do it if PZ space in confirmable.

At that price difference, have you considered waitlisting a miles+cash upgrade instead?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
I have, but my mileage balance isn’t high enough for the wife and I. Obviously I would only SDC to the W-fare if PZ was showing availability, so that would work with what you described. The trip is still 3 weeks out so let’s see what inventory looks like as we get closer
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
....Obviously I would only SDC to the W-fare if PZ was showing availability....
This strategy has a number of consequences. One, essentially everyone including mileage upgraders would have to clear -- you are taking a high risk there will still be upgradeable seats after everyone else has cleared -- allowing those that would have been below you on the waitlist to clear their upgrades.. PZ at the gate is not unknown but it is also not common.

Additionally you will not be able to do this on the app and will have to call in -- and there will need to be a purchasable W fare available, which there may not be that late( after check in has started. There may W fare inventory but to change fares (and not a simple no fare SDC) there also needs to be a purchasable W fare. (the subject of this thread)

So this strategy may work but there are multiple reasons it may not work in a situation that you could have been upgraded.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
My plan is to SDC at T-24h to a W-fare
Your plan is to try to use SDC to change to a different fare on the same flight? That's not technically permitted, you would just be asking for a discretionary change fee waiver for the upfare to W. If you're going to do that, there's no point waiting until T-24.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA currently has an unusual fare structure published for EWR-FRA. There are K and L fares published with a 12-hour minimum stay. However, the next fare up without a lengthy minimum stay -- after some Premium Economy fares that you won't be able to use because UA isn't offering PE for travel on 3/17 -- is the U fare you're seeing. The W, V, Q, and H fares all require either a seven-day stay or a Saturday-night stay.
What is the easiest way to find this kind of information? I note that TPAC P fares seem much easier to come by than TATL (though inventory is about the same for both), and was curious to read the restrictions on the TATL P fare.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa
What is the easiest way to find this kind of information? I note that TPAC P fares seem much easier to come by than TATL (though inventory is about the same for both), and was curious to read the restrictions on the TATL P fare.
A (paid) subscription to ExpertFlyer or KVS Tool.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
P fare shows in expert mode but cannot book

I am looking to book a flight that shows P fare in expert mode but only prices out as Z.

How and where can I find the conditions that need to be met to get the P fare?

ewr-muc-Ewr 2/13-22 2020

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: Moved to consoldiated thread
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You would need to subscribe to a service like ExpertFlyer to see if there's even a P fare filed for that route, and what the restrictions would be. If you don't fly enough for a subscription to make sense, you can sign up for a free trial.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
I am looking to book a flight that shows P fare in expert mode but only prices out as Z.

How and where can I find the conditions that need to be met to get the P fare?..
That would be in the fare rules
How to find fare rules for united flights?

The subscription services like EF or KVS are the "easiest" access
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paid services like ExpertFlyer or the KVS Tool will allow you to do this. You can also use the calendar search at matrix.itasoftware.com.

That said, there are two P fares currently published by UA. One requires a 10 day stay and is only valid Tuesday through Friday. The other is seasonal, is coded wrong (has 2010 where it means 2020), and is for use around holidays (around Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day).

With 10 months until departure, I would watch https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ and perhaps put in a Google Flights price alert.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

ewr-muc-Ewr 2/13-22 2020
There's no P fare published for that route for those dates. You'd need to pick different dates or a different route.

Code:
Fare Information Search:

Departing EWR on 02/13/20 for MUC
Returning on 02/22/20
Flying UA  
Viewing in currency USD
Searching in Business cabin 
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                     Class                                      Date       Date        Stay     Purchase Req
ZNX97ENC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  3221.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  90
ZNW97ENC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  3321.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  90
ZNX67ENC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  4221.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  60
ZNX97ERC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  4221.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  90
ZNW67ENC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  4321.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  60
ZNW97ERC    UA       Z        Round-Trip  4321.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  90
DNX67ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  5951.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  60
DNW67ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  6051.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  60
DNX86ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  7544.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  28
DNW86ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  7744.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  28
DNX46ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  8344.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  14
DNW46ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  8544.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  14
DNA06ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  9094.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  
DNA40ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  9094.00 (USD)  B                             || / 12M 14
DNA00ERC    UA       D        Round-Trip  9444.00 (USD)  B                             || / 12M 
DNA06EFF    UA       D        Round-Trip  9468.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  
CNX76ERC    UA       C        Round-Trip  9924.00 (USD)  B                             V / 12M  07
CNW76ERC    UA       C        Round-Trip  10233.00 (USD) B                             V / 12M  07
CNA00EFF    UA       C        Round-Trip  10640.00 (USD) B                             || / 12M 
CNA00ERC    UA       C        Round-Trip  10640.00 (USD) B                             || / 12M 
CNY00EFF    UA       C        Round-Trip  12788.00 (USD) B                                      
JXR1        UA       J        Round-Trip  12854.00 (USD) B                             -- / 12M 
JWR1        UA       J        Round-Trip  13354.00 (USD) B                             -- / 12M 
JAR1        UA       J        Round-Trip  13854.00 (USD) B                             -- / 12M 
JX1         UA       J        Round-Trip  16320.00 (USD) B                                      
JW1         UA       J        Round-Trip  16820.00 (USD) B                                      
JA1         UA       J        Round-Trip  17320.00 (USD) B
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

ewr-muc-Ewr 2/13-22 2020

The only P ( PNX91ENC ) fare filed (for those days) has a 10 day min stay
PERMITTED TUE THROUGH FRI ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO
EARLIER THAN 10 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
You have to move up to ZNX97ENC to get a 7 day stay and $300+ more, it also has the Tues - Fri limitation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.