Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
General PlusPoints (was GPU) earning & usage questions [Consolidated]

Note: the term journey is used here to denote travel between a pair of cities, with one or more layovers, and all segments of the journey are part of the same ticket, confirmation number, and record locator. A one way ticket has one journey. A round trip has two journeys. A multicity ticket has three or more journeys.

Can I apply a GPU to UA metal that is ticketed on non-UA ticket stock?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19321483-post23.html says you can.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19324013-post25.html says not always.

Can I use a GPU on flights operated by other airlines?
Yes, Copa, LH and NH.

On Copa, the rules are the same as for flights operated by UA. It can't be done online, so you have to call. The regular Premier desk can't do it, though, even though Copa uses MP as its loyalty program--you'll need to call (or be transferred to) the Star Alliance Help Desk to complete the process. (And it's an involved process for the agents--they have to duplicate the Copa PNR in SHARES and issue you a separate UA PNR. Betwen *A Desk hold times--no priority for Premiers--and the hassle it is for the agents, plan on 30-45 minutes to get this done. It may be simpler if you booked your Copa tickets through United.) Note that an RPU works anywhere on Copa that a GPU works, so don't waste GPUs unnecessarily.

On LH, the process is completely different. You can use a GPU on LH operated fights only if printed for a specific flight of a specific reservation. See
Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

I see GPUs for sale on Craigslist or eBay. May I buy them and use them?
We do not recommend this. If UA determines the GPU was sold, you risk having your M+ account terminated and loss of your miles, status, lifetime miles, etc.

If I have upgraded a flight with miles, cash, GPU, RPU, CPU, etc. from Y to J, may I upgrade to F with a GPU?
Policy does not allow this. However, once upgraded to business you may be offered a cash buy-up to F.

If I apply a GPU on a multi segment journey, what happens one or segments clear, and one or more do not?
The exact wording from united.com is:In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

This has at least three interpretations when the journey consists of segments that have all lie flat seating, and one or more upgrades to BF or GF fails, but one or more upgrades to BF or GF succeeds. The first is that since the wording is not "if any United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded" the GPU is not redeposited. The second is that the GPU is redeposited, even if for example, ORD-NRT was upgraded, and NRT-SIN was not. The third is that if the longest segment was not upgraded to BF or GF, the GPU is redeposited. In practice, UA agents appear to follow the third interpretation.
UPDATE: The wording in the Mileage upgrade section is a bit clearer and probably also reflects the policy for GPUs.What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst and/or United Global FirstSM, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

Redeposits don't always happen automatically, and when you call, you might find agents are trained to follow the longest segment interpretation, whereby if the longest segment is upgraded, even if not BF or GF, then the GPU will not be deposited. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21138703-post394.html of push back and eventual capitulation by UA.

Can I add myself to the wait list within 24 hours of departure?
No, all you can do is attempt to apply the GPU periodically until it clears into upgrade inventory if any opens up. The 1K desk cannot put you on the wait list inside 24 hours because SHARES transfers the flight to airport control.

Do the fare class restrictions apply to domestic flights?
No, you can use a GPU on any fare on any domestic/ any CPU eligible flight.

Is there a maximum layover between segments of a journey?
Unclear. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453548-post221.html is an example of 38 hours, where the 1K desk applied it on behalf of the customer. What is interesting about this case is that 38 hours is well beyond a layover, which implies that in some cases, one GPU can be used for two journeys on the same ticket even if the two journeys are beyond 12 hours apart (12 hours being the pmUA rule 4 hours for North American / domestic only flights).

How is the waitlist prioritized?
United.com details the process in the "Upgrade confirmation priority" section of this page.
For non-CPU flightsIf an upgrade seat becomes available, waitlisted customers are confirmed automatically based on the Premier status of the redeeming account***, then fare class, then time of request.
For CPU flights, GS and YBM fares will be handled before GPU/Miles/RPU users and finally CPU requests. Within these groups upgrades are prioritized based on Premier status of the redeeming account***, then fare class.
If not cleared until gate, it is believe the time factor is based on check-in time.

***On 4/15/15 travelers will no longer inherit the status of the redeeming account and will instead be prioritized by the status of the highest premier member on the PNR they are traveling on.

What is the relative waitlist priority of GPU vs Miles
Appears the use of GPU vs Miles has no impact on the waitlist priority.

May I cross two oceans with one GPU?
Yes if the entire journey is on one confirmation number and the max layover rule (above) is met.

Can I avoid upgrade lottery by booking only flights that have upgrade inventory?
Yes, see Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]. Note that you have to wait for the flight to ticket, by which time upgrade inventory can disappear. If so, cancel (within 24 hours of booking, so no penalty) and try again.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
No.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts before the GPU expires, and ends after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
Yes if the initial flight scheduled departure is prior to expiration.

Can I let someone else use my GPU?
Yes. They will be waitlisted prioritized based on your status until 4/15/2015 at which point they will be prioritized based on their own status (or lack thereof).

If I let someone else use my GPU, do I have to be on the same reservation, same journey and/or same flight?
No to all.

What happens if there are multiple pax on the same reservation confirmation number and the reservation is split; will the GPU(s) that is(are) waitlisted on one or more pax stay with the new reservation?
Yes.

Why do Non-Revs get assigned seats in First/Business instead of upgrading paying customers?
UAs policy is paying customers have priority for upgrades. However, per UAs employee benefit package, Non-Revs can have access to unassigned seats if there are no waitlisted paying customers. This Non-Rev benefit is part of the negotiated employee compensation.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I got a newbie question on using SWU.

I have an open jaw round trip from HKG to ORD, and then from SFO to HKG via NRT. The fare code is KLNCJA9. Can it be upgraded by SWU? Does it require only one SWU for the outbound flight and one SWU for the inbound flight?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
K fares are not eligible for SWU usage for long hauls.

Once there is more than a 12 hour break between flights, it takes a new SWU.

Most standard RTs (versus some MRs) take two SWUs

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
K fares are not eligible for SWU usage for long hauls.

Once there is more than a 12 hour break between flights, it takes a new SWU.

Most standard RTs (versus some MRs) take two SWUs
Oh, I totally missed that K fares cannot be upgraded.
Sorry for asking this stupid question.

Update: What about RUs?

Update again: I got the answer. Thanks.

Last edited by samwkchan; Mar 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm Reason: Add new answer.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Here's the relevant link on UA for SWUs. It might not be good after the 3rd:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...gibleTravelers
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Smile Changing upgrade instrument at check in from miles to SWU

I was checking in for a flight from SFO to PEK. The upgrade into C had cleared at booking with miles. As I didn't have SWU's available at the time of booking, I was told I could always use my SWU at checking in. So when I tried to do this at SFO, I was told this could no longer be done and I had to pay the copayment of $550.

Also, the agent berated me for not having prepaid the copay 24hrs before. It took almost 45min for them to process the copay at the airport.

So are these new policies or just a luck of the draw of the agent at the airport?

Then if these are new policies, can we now switch out upgrades that have cleared with miles to SWU ahead of time w/o risking losing the upgrade.

And has anyone been successful in getting a refund of the copayment in exchange for redeeming a SWU afterwards?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by sfonorth
I was checking in for a flight from SFO to PEK. The upgrade into C had cleared at booking with miles. As I didn't have SWU's available at the time of booking, I was told I could always use my SWU at checking in. So when I tried to do this at SFO, I was told this could no longer be done and I had to pay the copayment of $550.

Also, the agent berated me for not having prepaid the copay 24hrs before. It took almost 45min for them to process the copay at the airport.

So are these new policies or just a luck of the draw of the agent at the airport?

Then if these are new policies, can we now switch out upgrades that have cleared with miles to SWU ahead of time w/o risking losing the upgrade.

And has anyone been successful in getting a refund of the copayment in exchange for redeeming a SWU afterwards?
I believe every time one tries to switch upgrade instrument, there is a risk of loosing the upgrade priority. At least that was what I was told by the BOS GA once longer time ago.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: EXP
Question

Okay, I'm getting ready for my first post 3/3 UA flight!

Flying sCO SMF-IAH-FRA and then with LH to AGP.

I'm was waitlisted (SWU to C) on IAH-FRA for several months. My SWU went off the reservation at 24 hrs as expected as I've been reading FT and an e-mail told me the ug request would be added back once I checked in. However, I'm not able to check online and even after over an hour with the "Premier Line" (no 1K desk anymore I guess and the agent spent most of the time talking to someone else while I was on hold) who finally asked me to check in at the airport and have them add me to the upgrade list. I think they gave up. She said the reason why I could not check in and get myself onto the waitlist may be because I have a connecting flight with LH. That sounds strange.

Is this standard operating procedure? I'm not trying to spike a discussion on shares vs, whatever other system out there, I just trying to understand if this is an exception or something I should expect in the future on these kinds of trips.

Side question: My SMF-IAH ug cleared months ago when I applied the SWU. Today at 24 hrs I got an e-mail saying they were unable to upgrade me to F, while I'm still in F showing on my reservation. Obviously I don't have any boarding passes. Should I be concerned?

Last edited by chicoflyer#1; Apr 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reason: Add: Obviously I don't have any boarding passes
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Tkt issued by LH but on UA metal GPU ?

If I purchase a ticket on a W or higher fare and it's tkts on LH but on all UA metal can I use one of my GPU to upgrade to J?

Can this be done online once I get a UA PNR?

I tried searching and came back with a gazillion threads. Sorry
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
How long is it taking currently for GPU's to deposit once 1K status is reached?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by allenkeys
How long is it taking currently for GPU's to deposit once 1K status is reached?
Likely within a day or two. I have not reached 100K yet, but I exceeded 75K last week. The 2 RPUs were deposited into my account the very next day.

For us with a lot of flying each year,, particularly international flyers, better fly other airlines that are usually better than UA as much as you can, building credentials in another network, and postpone the UA flights to later in the year.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Likely within a day or two. I have not reached 100K yet, but I exceeded 75K last week. The 2 RPUs were deposited into my account the very next day.

For us with a lot of flying each year,, particularly international flyers, better fly other airlines that are usually better than UA as much as you can, building credentials in another network, and postpone the UA flights to later in the year.
MODS - I reached the thread through search, and didn't notice until now it is in the pre-merger furum. Could this thread not be moved to the consolidated forum?

The reason for me asking is I will hit 1K on 7/31 and my return TATL is on 8/5. I am hoping to apply one of the GPU's to my return if I get them deposited in time.

I understand the logic of building up credentials on another carrier. However, I would likely have to do without the benefits such as priority check in, lounge access, prriority boarding, and of course E+ on UA so it kind of defeats the purpose. I could potentially request a status match to DL, or try the AA challenge, but am not sure I would retain status next year. Last year I only just achieved Plat on UA, and did nothing significant on other non *A carriers at that.

Last edited by allenkeys; Jul 25, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by allenkeys
MODS - I reached the thread through search, and didn't notice until now it is in the pre-merger furum. Could this thread not be moved to the consolidated forum?

The reason for me asking is I will hit 1K on 7/31 and my return TATL is on 8/5. I am hoping to apply one of the GPU's to my return if I get them deposited in time.

I understand the logic of building up credentials on another carrier. However, I would likely have to do without the benefits such as priority check in, lounge access, prriority boarding, and of course E+ on UA so it kind of defeats the purpose. I could potentially request a status match to DL, or try the AA challenge, but am not sure I would retain status next year. Last year I only just achieved Plat on UA, and did nothing significant on other non *A carriers at that.
Your situation is different from those of us who have unused GPUs that will expire before the next bunch of GPSs are dumped on us. You want your GPU as soon as possible while we want our GPUs as late as possible. The GPUs are very difficult to use after CO took over UA. Many of ours just expire. But this summer the TATL flights are quite empty, so many R seats may be available to you. I think your chance of successeful upgrade is quite high. Good luck!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT

Update is that GPU's were deposited within 2 hours of my status update to 1K.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:41 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I did a search of this thread but did not find the answer. I did not read through all 50 pages though so please be gentle.

Can a paid economy ticket that is upgraded to BF (R class) with a GPU subsequently be upgraded to GF with an additional GPU or other instrument? I assume that instruments are good for one class of service upgrades only but couldn't really find a direct answer in my search.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I did a search of this thread but did not find the answer. I did not read through all 50 pages though so please be gentle.

Can a paid economy ticket that is upgraded to BF (R class) with a GPU subsequently be upgraded to GF with an additional GPU or other instrument? I assume that instruments are good for one class of service upgrades only but couldn't really find a direct answer in my search.
Nope- No double upgrades. Either Y>C or C>F, but not Y>F. (of course, there is always the possibility of an op-up, but I wouldn't count on it)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.