Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under US law (because the ticket destination is SFO), the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment, will apply to all segments of the ticket. This is separate and apart from bag waivers which might apply due to status and the like.

Thus, the sole question is: Who marketed the xBKK segment? Is it NH or UA? What is the allowance for that carrier for that segment. That will be the answer for the entire ticket except to the extent that there are waivers for additional luggage on a specific carrier.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Under US law (because the ticket destination is SFO), the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment, will apply to all segments of the ticket.
That's the theoretical answer. The real life answer is whatever rules the check-in agents apply at BKK. Good luck arguing MSC rules with them.

As noted above, NH's rules say 3 bags @70 lbs and that's what OP is likely to get.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Redo the calculator with NH as marketing carrier and in J.
Except OP never specified marketing carrier . Which is exactly my question. They only said ticketed on 016 with first segment operated by NH connecting to UA at NRT. Neither of which is the proper info. needed to determine what the bag allowance should be for not only the trip to the US but the entire itinerary. Until the marketing carrier is known, no one can answer the question about what the proper allowance should be.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My experience with the crappy NH codeshare on BKK-NRT is that the ANA check-in agents try to apply the NH rules (as you'd expect). If you point out that you are connecting to an overwater flight in UA GF, you may be able to get them to apply the UA GF allowance.

That worked for me when I was in Y on the NH segment, and C on the UA segments. The agent really pushed back until she saw I was in C on UA, then said, "Oh, yes, I am sorry; you are in C on your next flight, and yes, your bags are OK."
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Under US law (because the ticket destination is SFO), the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment, will apply to all segments of the ticket. This is separate and apart from bag waivers which might apply due to status and the like.

Thus, the sole question is: Who marketed the xBKK segment? Is it NH or UA? What is the allowance for that carrier for that segment. That will be the answer for the entire ticket except to the extent that there are waivers for additional luggage on a specific carrier.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's the theoretical answer. The real life answer is whatever rules the check-in agents apply at BKK. Good luck arguing MSC rules with them.

As noted above, NH's rules say 3 bags @70 lbs and that's what OP is likely to get.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Except OP never specified marketing carrier . Which is exactly my question. They only said ticketed on 016 with first segment operated by NH connecting to UA at NRT. Neither of which is the proper info. needed to determine what the bag allowance should be for not only the trip to the US but the entire itinerary. Until the marketing carrier is known, no one can answer the question about what the proper allowance should be.
I mentioned that the first flight was NH operated but a code share. Thought that would be enough. I bought the ticket from UA with UA numbered flights.

I think I have enough info now. Thanks all.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Just talked to ANA on the phone. The Star Alliance Gold rule applies. 2 bags for business class plus a 3rd for *G (as Kacee and joseeantonior pointed out).

HOWEVER! she told me I had to show my UA MP card at the airport. Who carries their frequent flyer card around with them?

I have the UA app on my phone here in Thailand and just checked to make sure it clearly says I'm *G. It does. Also my e-ticket is clearly marked *G. So I'm going to give it a try.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
HOWEVER! she told me I had to show my UA MP card at the airport. Who carries their frequent flyer card around with them?
It's ridiculous that you need to given that everything's on the computer these days, but it's still best practice to always carry the card when traveling international. I've had instances with TG, NH, and AV where I would not have gotten into their lounges without my physical card.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:51 am

UA -- 1 bag or 2??

I'm flying MAA-[FRA]-JFK-ORD-SFO-[FRA]-MAA. I booked it through United.com, and the international legs are on Lufthansa. During the booking process all the way to the confirmation email, all segments qualified for two free bags @50 lbs. But the receipt -- surprise! -- specified only one free bag on each segment. Is this something I have to go to United.com beforehand to straighten out? I've tried using the UA website to contact customer service but it cites server problems and doesn't send on the note. I'm not sure if it matters, but I have a MileagePlus card. Thanks for advice on this!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Comply with LH's baggage allowance.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Is it on one ticket with a UA flt # on all segments?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If you bought the trip on United with UA flight and ticket numbers, then you should use United's baggage rules, given that your ultimate destination is in the US.

US DOT Regulation 14 CFR 399.87 (First Marketing Carrier)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c211983/Newton:Massachusetts:Baggage.Rules.For.Multi.Airli ne.Trips.html
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who is the marketing carrier of the first segment and what is the allowance for that carrier for MAA-FRA? That is the minimum allowance you will receive for all segments of the ticket.

If changing the marketing carrier from what it is now, perhaps UA, to perhaps LH, changes the allowance for the better, book it that way (presuming other factors such as fare are equal).
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Who is the marketing carrier of the first segment and what is the allowance for that carrier for MAA-FRA? That is the minimum allowance you will receive for all segments of the ticket.

If changing the marketing carrier from what it is now, perhaps UA, to perhaps LH, changes the allowance for the better, book it that way (presuming other factors such as fare are equal).
Believe the marketing carrier allowance from MAA - destination is the correct one (though not sure if that might be different if FRA or North America), but yes, based on marketing carrier.

I know LH was very good at ensuring UA allowances were followed for an entire trip I took a couple of years ago that was CVG-LHR all on UA marketed/operated flights, and then stopped over for a week, continuing on LH marketed/operated flights LHR-BOM. Unlike some other carriers that don't seem to follow these rules as a matter of course.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:47 am

I'm flying MAA-JFK-ORD-SFO-MAA with UA, economy class. The international legs are on Lufthansa. My confirmation email (and all the way through the online process) specified two bags per segment; the receipt -- shock! -- specified one. Do I have to straighten this out with United beforehand? Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Redo the calculator with NH as marketing carrier and in J.
isn't nh the operating carrier and ua the marketing carrier being that this is a 016 ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.