Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:44 am
Original Poster

booked via United- flying HKG-MUC on Lufthansa, then MUC-EWR on United- do i check in with UA/LH or doesn't matter?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Check in with the operating carrier of the first flight - in this case, Lufthansa
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:42 am

Online Check-in with UA or LH?

Not exactly sure where to post this (in LH or UA). I am posting it here since majority of the concerned trip is on UA.. Mods, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I have a single return ticket booked through an agent and my onward journey was smooth (all UA flights). My return leg is coming up day after tomorrow, with first segment on LH (BOM-MUC) and remaining two on UA (MUC-EWR-BUF). To me, none of the flights seem to be code-shared, as the itinerary lists them as LH765/UA107/UA4895 (no LH number for UA operated flight or vice-versa)

I have a United PNR and I am able to view my itinerary on united.com (with limited options for LH flight - no seat selection etc.) but I don't have any LH PNR. However, I was able to call LH and select a seat by providing the e-ticket number / flight details.

I would like to Check-in Online to cut-short the long queues at the dreaded BOM airport.

Now the question is with whom should I check-in online, UA or LH? Will I be able to check-in for all the connecting flights when I check-in for the first segment? My last connection departs almost 24 hours after my first segment.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vizmax
... My return leg is coming up day after tomorrow, with first segment on LH (BOM-MUC) and remaining two on UA (MUC-EWR-BUF).
Now the question is with whom should I check-in online, UA or LH? Will I be able to check-in for all the connecting flights when I check-in for the first segment? My last connection departs almost 24 hours after my first segment.
You check in with LH -- the operator of the first segment of the return, and that will checkin with the entire return.

Originally Posted by vizmax
...I have a United PNR and I am able to view my itinerary on united.com (with limited options for LH flight - no seat selection etc.) but I don't have any LH PNR. However, I was able to call LH and select a seat by providing the e-ticket number / flight details. ...
LH's PNR is also available as a part of the online info at united.com -- at the top of the itin as "additional confirmation numbers"
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
You may not be able to check-in online if they have to check your documents at the airport. Especially on a route like India-Germany-USA, they will likely need to check your passport and see if you need a Visa for your itinerary.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Platinum
Checking in w/ UA ticket but first flight codeshare/partner? Who/Where/Bag allowance?

Silly question, but first time starting a flight on a different carrier. Will be flying C in a couple of days, MUC-LHR-ORD. LH from MUC, then UA from LHR-ORD, on 016 stock.

Where do we check in at MUC, LH or UA desk?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frankmu
Silly question, but first time starting a flight on a different carrier. Will be flying C in a couple of days, MUC-LHR-ORD. LH from MUC, then UA from LHR-ORD, on 016 stock.

Where do we check in at MUC, LH or UA desk?
check in with the first operating carrier independent of codeshare / ticket stock / ....
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Codeshare Question YYZ-SFO-HNL

Hi,

I'm flying from YYZ--> SFO --> HNL in business class. My first segment is with AC instead of UA. Do I check in at the AC counter or at the UA counter.

I read in another post that I should check in with the metal I'm flying, but do I need to worry about priority tags for my luggage?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Check in with Air Canada. They will apply their version of priority tags, if applicable.

Quite honestly, I've never had much luck with priority tagged luggage coming out first when travelling on United.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:15 pm

I've done the "sleepy, tired, and want to go home" not thinking very much and checked in with United on a US Airways flight. Reservation was United, outbound was United, day was long so on the way home I walked to the United check-in area. Got the boarding pass and checked in my luggage.

Walking to security to see what gate to go to, that's when I finally notice it was a US Airways boarding pass. Me and the luggage still made it.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Check in with Air Canada. They will apply their version of priority tags, if applicable.

Quite honestly, I've never had much luck with priority tagged luggage coming out first when travelling on United.
Outside of NRT - when 95% of the time they come out first - completely agree - haven't seen any difference.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:07 pm

Question LH at Munich ?

Checked in at MUC a couple of weeks ago flying Business on LH to LHR, connecting to UA in BF. LH agents both at their Business counter and a very friendly First Class counter said they were unable to issue UA boarding pass. Said something about LH & UA IT systems were not the same?
When at the United Lounge at LHR, got the boarding pass immediately. UA rep commented that what I was told by LH about them not able to issue a boarding pass on the UA flight was simply not true.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Checked in at MUC a couple of weeks ago flying Business on LH to LHR, connecting to UA in BF. LH agents both at their Business counter and a very friendly First Class counter said they were unable to issue UA boarding pass. Said something about LH & UA IT systems were not the same?
When at the United Lounge at LHR, got the boarding pass immediately. UA rep commented that what I was told by LH about them not able to issue a boarding pass on the UA flight was simply not true.
Definitely not true - I've had LH and all of it's subsidiaries issue me my UA BP's with zero issues... Someone was being lazy...
Old May 28, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Baggage Allowance on Award C Multi-Carrier Itinerary

I am booked on a United C Award SEA-LHR-FRA, EDI-DUB, DUB-IAD-SEA. EDI-DUB is on Aer Lingus Regional in Class T, Economy because there is no Business class on that flight.

Will I be subject to Aer Lingus Regional baggage allowance and fees? If so, which fees, based on what type of ticket? They have various fee schedules based on the ticket type.

My itinerary calls out each origin/destination and shows my 1K baggage allowance for United applying to all. However, the wording on the itinerary appear ambiguous:

---
Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary.
Baggage fees are per traveler

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your current itinerary have been deferred by the marketing carrier, (Deutsche Lufthansa AG), to the operating carrier. As a result, your baggage policies will be determined by United Airlines. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.

Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag 2nd bag Max wt / dim per piece
5/18/2015 Seattle, WA (SEA) to London, England (LHR - Heathrow) 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (158.0cm)
5/30/2015 Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI) to Dublin, Ireland (DUB) 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (158.0cm)
6/4/2015 Dublin, Ireland (DUB) to Seattle, WA (SEA) 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® 1K® membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).
---

What will be the rules for me and how do I make sure the check-in agent complies if I am entitled to the allowances above? Isn't the operating carrier in this case Aer Lingus? Why does it imply United is the operating carrier for all flights? It also implies these allowances only apply when I am checking in with United.

I see this in United FAQ:
What if I am connecting onto a codeshare or Star Alliance® partner flight?
When a customer travels on a codeshare flight or on an aircraft operated by a Star Alliance member airline, then the policy regarding checked bags follows the rules determined by the originating marketing carrier.

However, Aer Lingus is not *A, I presume this is a codeshare but the EI number is on my itinerary.... and who is the originating marketing carrier? LH? but they have deferred to the operating carrier, but again, implies United is the operating carrier of all flights?

Last edited by dmodemd; May 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is what the DOT rule was meant for. It's simple.

The baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket. Here, that allowance is deferred to the operating carrier, e.g. UA.

Your allowance for all remaining segments will be the allowance for a UA passenger in C. Additional waivers for status, e.g. 1K, don't apply to other carriers, although they may choose to honor them.

You won't have a problem with EI. The US law is well known. But, if you do, simply pay the fees with a CC. On return, seek a refund and then initiate a chargeback and file a DOT complaint. But, do not sweat this as it really is highly unlikely to be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.