Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Often1
Here, that allowance is deferred to the operating carrier, e.g. UA.
What makes UA the operating carrier of the EI segment?

Originally Posted by Often1
Your allowance for all remaining segments will be the allowance for a UA passenger in C.
Even though this flight is in Economy (T)? I will certainly point out that the rest of the itinerary is in C and this was a C award ticket.

...and not a problem I am not connecting to another flight, as long as this is part of the circle trip itinerary?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:12 pm

So a slightly different story here, booking a business class award RIC-ORD-ICN-TPE. The RIC-ORD segment is on a UA single cabin plane. ORD-ICN is Asiana business class and ICN-TPE is on Thai airways. Travelers don't have any status with United. Will they still get 2 free checked bags at 70 pounds each?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The easiest thing to do is to look at the e-ticket receipt. It will show charges, if any, for the first and second bag.

The real question is whether they are merely seated in Y on a C ticket. If this is the case, the baggage allowance ought to be the C allowance. If it's ticketed in Y, the allowance would be 0.

Why not report back once you've had a look at those receipts. Then maybe you'll have your answer and you can certainly get advice here if it's incorrect.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:07 pm

Per the receipt it's $0 for two bags at 70 pounds each. The first segement is XN, the other two are I. I'll be sure to have them bring the receipt with them to the airport to show the agent in case there's an issue at check-in.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Baggage limits on flights starting with codeshare

Never had to deal with this before. Starting a flight next week, BKK/SFO/BKK in First Class. I know on a UA flight my allowance with my status would be 3 bags at 70#. But the initial check in is ANA in BKK (to NRT to connect to UA metal) and they are showing 2 bags. Ticket is 016. Anyone know for sure if I get 3 bags or just 2?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Never had to deal with this before. Starting a flight next week, BKK/SFO/BKK in First Class. I know on a UA flight my allowance with my status would be 3 bags at 70#. But the initial check in is ANA in BKK (to NRT to connect to UA metal) and they are showing 2 bags. Ticket is 016. Anyone know for sure if I get 3 bags or just 2?
IIRC you only get ANA's luggage allowance, which is 2 bags, because ANA is the operator. But you may want to check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-now-gone.html
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
From what I've researched, when boarding ANA, you will get 3 bags at 50lbs each. When boarding United, you'll get what you usually get.

ANA baggage information: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...age/index.html
ANA 'Premium Members' baggage information: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...html#section03
UA bag rules: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...lServices.aspx
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
IIRC you only get ANA's luggage allowance, which is 2 bags, because ANA is the operator. But you may want to check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-now-gone.html
Actually, I think it should depend on who is marketing the ANA flight.

If it was booked as NH ###, then it would be ANAs allowance, which maybe is 2 bags. If the flight was bought as UA ####, operated by NH, then it is UAs baggage allowance. This allowance would be he same for the entire trip. All this is a result of the DOT amendment for flights to/from the US of the IATA MSC rule - allowance is that of the marketing carrier of the first segment for the whole trip, and that allowance carries forward for the whole itinerary.

The allowance should be stated on the eTicket and receipt you got from UA once it was ticketed. You can also check the bag allowance calculator on the UA site - you should be able to use your record locator to find the info. for your specific itinerary or plug in the origin/destination info and get it that way.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
From what I've researched, when boarding ANA, you will get 3 bags at 50lbs each. When boarding United, you'll get what you usually get.

ANA baggage information: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...age/index.html
ANA 'Premium Members' baggage information: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...html#section03
UA bag rules: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...lServices.aspx
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Actually, I think it should depend on who is marketing the ANA flight.

If it was booked as NH ###, then it would be ANAs allowance, which maybe is 2 bags. If the flight was bought as UA ####, operated by NH, then it is UAs baggage allowance. This allowance would be he same for the entire trip. All this is a result of the DOT amendment for flights to/from the US of the IATA MSC rule - allowance is that of the marketing carrier of the first segment for the whole trip, and that allowance carries forward for the whole itinerary.

The allowance should be stated on the eTicket and receipt you got from UA once it was ticketed. You can also check the bag allowance calculator on the UA site - you should be able to use your record locator to find the info. for your specific itinerary or plug in the origin/destination info and get it that way.
And now you see why I ask. All 3 answers are logical. I don't want to show up with 6 bags (me and my wife) and get tagged with a big charge that I have to fight with UA to get back.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Starting a flight next week, BKK/SFO/BKK in First Class.
How are you flying F on NH from BKK-NRT? That's a J only route.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
How are you flying F on NH from BKK-NRT? That's a J only route.
Ticket is First Class. But, yes, ANA to NRT is in Business.

UA policy is I get 3 bags due to status. ANA goes by fare and I have no status on ANA which means 2 bags. Ticket is UA stock (016) and the flight is a UA number (codeshare). So whose rules prevail?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat

UA policy is I get 3 bags due to status. ANA goes by fare and I have no status on ANA which means 2 bags. Ticket is UA stock (016) and the flight is a UA number (codeshare). So whose rules prevail?
UA says, in their page, that their rules apply when the first segment is UA. Otherwise, I would expect ANA's rules to apply.

ANA is a *A partner, and because of your Premier Platinum/*G status, you get extra baggage allowance. Meaning that if ANA standards are 2, you'd get 3, just as their Premium members.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So whose rules prevail?
The rules the check-in staff at BKK choose to apply.

But as a *A G flying NH J, you should get 3 bags @70 lbs. It's on the NH website. Premium Baggage Allowance.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:10 am

when you look up your reservation through mileageplus.com and navigate to the pdf of your booking, the bag allowance at the bottom of the page is what you're entitled to. it's very accurate as that forms your ticket.

bag allowance is based on carrier operating, not which airline you booked it with nor which airline you have status.

interestingly enough, bag calculator says:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Redo the calculator with NH as marketing carrier and in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.