Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

More changes in store...

Originally Posted by Further optimize the network

United is building on its strengths by leveraging its trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic joint ventures to further develop its unmatched route network. The company expects to improve results on its trans-Pacific network by redeploying certain widebody aircraft, including beginning a second daily Houston-Tokyo service, subject to government approval, and eliminating Seattle-Tokyo flying. United also will eliminate Tokyo-Bangkok 747 service and down-gauge Tokyo-Seoul flights, reallocating those long-haul aircraft to more profitable routes. ANA, United's trans-Pacific joint venture partner, will provide the appropriate amount of the beyond-Tokyo connectivity for United's trans-Pacific flights.

The company will use its highly efficient 787 Dreamliner aircraft to provide service to new markets, including previously announced service from San Francisco, the premier Pacific gateway, to Chengdu, China, subject to government approval. This is in addition to new 777 service effective March 29 from San Francisco to Taipei. The company will capitalize on its ability to serve growing secondary markets in Asia directly from the United States, similar to its successful strategy serving secondary European markets non-stop from its East Coast hubs.

Using aircraft previously operated on intra-Asia routes, United is also building its trans-Atlantic flying with new service from Houston to Munich and new seasonal routes from Washington/Dulles to Madrid and Chicago to Edinburgh. The new Munich and Madrid service is subject to government approval. Additionally, United will introduce all-widebody service to the Newark-London Heathrow route during the summer peak season, nearly doubling the number of flat-bed seats on each upgraded flight.
More info here, along with other changes and updates:

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....175&highlight=

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Nov 19, 2013 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Thank you FriendlySkies.

Does anyone know when the elimination of Tokyo-Bangkok service takes effect?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
God. Even more cuts.

Loss of BKK is HUGE for me.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
God. Even more cuts.

Loss of BKK is HUGE for me.
It sounds like it'll be a downgauge from the 744 > ?, not necessarily a cancellation of BKK all together, though I need to re-listen to the conf. call.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:21 am

So if you plan to redeem miles flying from USA to BKK via NRT then you have to use partner airlines and spend more miles. GOT IT!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It sounds like it'll be a downgauge from the 744 > ?, not necessarily a cancellation of BKK all together, though I need to re-listen to the conf. call.
Hope so, though it fluctuates between 747 and 777 already. Not sure why they called it out, unless it is just marketing fluff filler.

I really hope they are not going to try and downguage all the way to a 787.

Hell, I guess I should worry more about a 737.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
From the press release...

United also will eliminate Tokyo-Bangkok 747 service and down-gauge Tokyo-Seoul flights, reallocating those long-haul aircraft to more profitable routes. ANA, United's trans-Pacific joint venture partner, will provide the appropriate amount of the beyond-Tokyo connectivity for United's trans-Pacific flights.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hope so, though it fluctuates between 747 and 777 already. Not sure why they called it out, unless it is just marketing fluff filler.

I really hope they are not going to try and downguage all the way to a 787.

Hell, I guess I should worry more about a 737.
NRT-BKK is showing on dot bomb for next summer as a 777 whereas ICN is already showing as a 738.... So hopefully it was just a 744-->777
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
NRT-BKK is showing on dot bomb for next summer as a 777 whereas ICN is already showing as a 738.... So hopefully it was just a 744-->777
I sure hope so! If not, they'll have to edit the new marketing campaign to cut out the part when the traveler is for some reason taking a samlor to BKK because this airline is just so great big world friendly.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Reading this presentation is illuminating into the direction UA is going (down). First off it's full of consultant-speak (shocking - since I'm a consultant I guess I can't criticize too much). I find it ridiculous that this airline still can't just be United.
I actually enjoyed page 40, when UA confirms that its IT infrastructure is useless and full of unnecessary confusion. How did they ever come to that confusion? Page 53 is a bit concerning, however.

Last edited by fjfv19; Nov 19, 2013 at 7:55 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
if anything, UA should consider cancelling NRT-BKK (handing that traffic to NH), but launch SFO-BKK with 787
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
if anything, UA should consider cancelling NRT-BKK (handing that traffic to NH), but launch SFO-BKK with 787
wow that would be amazing reward flight to take. 787 sfo to bkk. being UA metal too. fingers crossed.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
ugh. i take NRT-ICN a lot. granted it's a 2.5 hour flight but i liked that it was a 772. a 738 is definitely not what i want.
I would bet that if they can figure out a way to link up with NH/OZ that it goes bye-bye at some point, like NRT-HKG/BKK did.

I think UA isn't just surrendering SEA to DL... but also NRT-intra Asia. Which makes a certain amount of sense if you're getting a bunch of 787s- why not fly direct from the USA?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
Will B787 need a fuel stop somewhere when flying westward into headwinds?

Given the GC distance of 7,933 miles SFO-BKK the fuel efficiency will be pretty bad.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I recently booked UA flights NRT-SEA-IAD for FEB 2014 travel. Just saw a modification-has-been-made-to-your-itinerary notice. The NRT-SEA segment is no longer there.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Neil35
Thank you FriendlySkies.

Does anyone know when the elimination of Tokyo-Bangkok service takes effect?
It will be as of 30-March-2014. The employees in BKK were informed yesterday that all UA flying will be terminated then. ANA will provide codeshare flights to NRT. Flights currently in the reservations database have yet to be updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.