Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
A good friend at UA told me today BKK will resume in February next year - coinciding with the deliveries of the 777.... Fingers crossed.....
Well, well, well - this is excellent news, if it occurs, and long overdue. Prior to cancelling their sole NRT-BKK flight, I believe UA had served BKK for over 20 years. I'm currently in Bangkok, and tourism is booming here.

Maybe this thread will not get to 3,000 posts after all!
Old May 23, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good friend at UA told me today BKK will resume in February next year - coinciding with the deliveries of the 777.... Fingers crossed.....
UA announced SFO-SIN on Jan 28th about 4 months before the route started, so if this is true we should see an announcement in Sept/Oct????
Old May 23, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
UA announced SFO-SIN on Jan 28th about 4 months before the route started, so if this is true we should see an announcement in Sept/Oct????
Would be nice to know around then as that's when I'll be booking a March/April trip to BKK.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Would be nice to know around then as that's when I'll be booking a March/April trip to BKK.
I spend New Years in BKK every year - a bit late for me but still hopeful - TG and NH are so stingy with award seats until the last minute lol..... My friend also mentioned that the route - and the planes - also have something to do with AF - didn't push any more but found that surprising....
Old May 23, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
And going slightly OT here: I fly pretty regularly between NYC and SIN in Y and I don't intend to subject myself to 16 hours in UA's 9-across 787. Will still continue to book EWR-NRT-SIN over EWR-SFO-SIN (and interestingly enough UA will sell you either option at the same price). However for people who don't have a nonstop to NRT and want to avoid the double connection I can see why SFO-SIN nonstop might be an attractive option. Will just have to wait and see how the loads on the flight turn out I guess.
I agree with you 100% as I will find myself doing EWR-NRT-SIN vs. EWR-SFO-SIN, but the option of getting a full day at the office before heading out with the latter routing is interesting.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I spend New Years in BKK every year - a bit late for me but still hopeful - TG and NH are so stingy with award seats until the last minute lol..... My friend also mentioned that the route - and the planes - also have something to do with AF - didn't push any more but found that surprising....
I am to Thailand 6 times a year, so anytime they can get this started back up is good with me.

"AF" as in Air France? That doesn't seem to make much sense, or am I misunderstanding something?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am to Thailand 6 times a year, so anytime they can get this started back up is good with me.

"AF" as in Air France? That doesn't seem to make much sense, or am I misunderstanding something?
Something about getting planes from them or taking over the leases - I agree it didn't make sense to me either....
Old May 24, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Something about getting planes from them or taking over the leases - I agree it didn't make sense to me either....
Ah, OK. Well, I have waited this long, so will have to see if this one comes true.

United ticked me off majorly with their status bump up spree. Actually took an AA trip to check them out. Having BKK back in the network is compelling though. Hmmmm
Old May 24, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
If this is true, great news. I doubt they would start the new route with a 77W, and think they may move over a 789 that currently flies SFO-SYD, or IAH-FRA, or some other route which may be capable of having a larger plane like the 77W.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: free agent
Def will tip me over back to UA. I live close to DCA than IAD, so hopefully easy ride from DCA-SFO-BKK. I'm frustrated by hassles with AA when I need to go BKK or SIN (DCA-JFK/ORD/DFW-NRT/HKG-BKK). I'll take 19-20 hour ride over 24+ hours ride!

It's mind-boggling how UA haven't jump on opportunity to reap the benefit as a sole carrier that offer nonstop flight to BKK from USA.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by washeelers747
It's mind-boggling how UA haven't jump on opportunity to reap the benefit as a sole carrier that offer nonstop flight to BKK from USA.
Add to that the benefit of the TG Star Hub!
Old May 26, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Add to that the benefit of the TG Star Hub!
I was originally furious when UA cancelled BKK, but since then have been VERY happy with NH to TG 1 stop service from JFK (if I'm coming from the States). Sad that I don't miss UA's BKK flights any longer which I had taken for years. ( it costs me a bit more as with UA I would buy D fares and upgrade to GF which was nice, with NH/TG if I want to fly F I've gotta pay for it.....But I refuse to use EWR for anything (so my only choice if I want to fly UA is out of LGA w 2 stops ........all in all I've been VERY HAPPY the few times in the last two years I've flown from the US to BKK (luckily usually when I go to BKK though it's out of DXB, non stop, 6 hours on a 380

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; May 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by washeelers747

why didn't TG have better luck with its non stops? Was it just cuz the price of fuel was so much higher and A340s ain't cheap to fly?

If UA hope to do well with a non stop it needs to lure back ALOT of business Travellers paying business fares. They won't make much money on this kind of route without them
Old May 27, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I was originally furious when UA cancelled BKK, but since then have been VERY happy with NH to TG 1 stop service from JFK (if I'm coming from the States).
Ditto. I do that one a lot. LH>TG 1 stop is pretty decent also.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I was originally furious when UA cancelled BKK, but since then have been VERY happy with NH to TG 1 stop service from JFK (if I'm coming from the States). Sad that I don't miss UA's BKK flights any longer which I had taken for years. ( it costs me a bit more as with UA I would buy D fares and upgrade to GF which was nice, with NH/TG if I want to fly F I've gotta pay for it.....But I refuse to use EWR for anything (so my only choice if I want to fly UA is out of LGA w 2 stops ........all in all I've been VERY HAPPY the few times in the last two years I've flown from the US to BKK (luckily usually when I go to BKK though it's out of DXB, non stop, 6 hours on a 380
Hopefully you saw the thread that GPUs are now able to be used on NH?

Limited to one segment, and fare restricted quite a bit more than UA metal, but could be a good thing given the right circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.