Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had no problem with UA BPs (including PreCheck) on similar itineraries. No need to call.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Standard protocol (Probably IATA standard) is the operating carrier of the first flight checks you in for all segments on the itin (assuming there is an agreement for such). *A carriers should all be able to - though some others can't, even if booked through UA.com (for example, I was on a CX-UA connection, and they checked bag through, but couldn't check me into onward UA segments.

Never had a problem with through check-in and getting BPs when checking in with NH or LH and continuing onto UA. in these cases, should always get checked in without a problem, even if BPs can't be printed. You can always pick those up at the transfer desk, or as already mentioned, once landing on the last OAL flight, and only UA segments are left, just open the UA app once you have a cell/wifi connection and the BPs should appear, including with precheck if applicable.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1K
First segment LH Economy then GPU cleared FRA-SFO - bags??

Original WRO-FRA-SFO-LAX itinerary in Q, first leg on LH but a 016, United-marketed codeshare. I will be checking in at a LH counter at a small airport. GPU cleared on the FRA-SFO (I'm a first-time 1K) and it looks like I'm entitled to at least 2x70lb bags (that's what the reservation is showing). Do I get a 3rd one? That's irritatingly not shown. Every time I call LH or UA I get a different answer, it's borderline entertaining actually but I'd like to know since I'd love to have that possibility.
Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by woocash
Original WRO-FRA-SFO-LAX itinerary in Q, first leg on LH but a 016, United-marketed codeshare. I will be checking in at a LH counter at a small airport. GPU cleared on the FRA-SFO (I'm a first-time 1K) and it looks like I'm entitled to at least 2x70lb bags (that's what the reservation is showing). Do I get a 3rd one? That's irritatingly not shown. Every time I call LH or UA I get a different answer, it's borderline entertaining actually but I'd like to know since I'd love to have that possibility.
Thanks!
UA 1K checking in with LH for LH operated flight should get 3x70 but is the flight LH operated? It will just be 2x70 if one of LH affiates - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ir-berlin.html
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is standard.
You should checkin with the first carrier. UA BP will appear on the app, after you taken the flights prior to the UA flight.

My guess if you had done nothing, everything would have been fine. Worked fine for me just a few weeks ago.

As for the agent's trick, never have heard of it and it wasn't necessary,
Although the OP didn't quite phrase it this way, some people encountering this issue (e.g., me) would like to be able to use the app to checkin to the downline UA metal/UA flight number segments at T-24 to be offered buy-ups. I haven't found a way around this. Sure, you can wait until the airport checkin on the partner carrier, but at that point (in Europe, anyway) you are typically at T-3 and there may be no buyup seats available to offer.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:47 pm

UA 1K checking in with LH for LH operated flight should get 3x70 but is the flight LH operated? It will just be 2x70 if one of LH affiates - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ir-berlin.html
Thank you. I forgot to add, only the first leg is LH (and not affiliate)-operated. The FRA-SFO upgraded segment is on UA, the marketing carrier. So is the 3rd bag a waiver in that case, which won't be granted at a LH counter? Or can I still get 3?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you. I forgot to add, only the first leg is LH (and not affiliate)-operated. The FRA-SFO upgraded segment is on UA, the marketing carrier. So is the 3rd bag a waiver in that case, which won't be granted at a LH counter? Or can I still get 3?
While UA ticket rules will apply (2x70), elite waiver will depend of the checkin carrier. In this case, LH operated will get 3x70.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
Although the OP didn't quite phrase it this way, some people encountering this issue (e.g., me) would like to be able to use the app to checkin to the downline UA metal/UA flight number segments at T-24 to be offered buy-ups. I haven't found a way around this. Sure, you can wait until the airport checkin on the partner carrier, but at that point (in Europe, anyway) you are typically at T-3 and there may be no buyup seats available to offer.
you can not check in on the UA app until you have flown all partner segments - there isn't a way around this. Check once you land on the LH leg - if there is wifi onboard, technically it should be available at the latest once the LH flight has closed out, so can check enroute if wifi is available.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:13 pm

While UA ticket rules will apply (2x70), elite waiver will depend of the checkin carrier. In this case, LH operated will get 3x70.
Thanks, I wasn't aware I can get a waiver at a non-UA counter. Let's hope the check-in agent knows that!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I get a 3rd one? That's irritatingly not shown.
Thanks!
Its there, just a bit of extra work. go to the UA site and there is a bag allowance tool in the baggage section that will allow you to put in your PNR/name and show you the full bag allowance. While the initial results will show the data for the first two bags only, there is an arrow (or similar) that you can click that will expand to show extra bag/oversize/overweight charges - if you get a third bag free it will show it there.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Its there, just a bit of extra work. go to the UA site and there is a bag allowance tool in the baggage section that will allow you to put in your PNR/name and show you the full bag allowance. While the initial results will show the data for the first two bags only, there is an arrow (or similar) that you can click that will expand to show extra bag/oversize/overweight charges - if you get a third bag free it will show it there.
Thank you. Right, so there it shows a $200 fee for the third bag. That's the most authoritative and specific answer I got from United directly but I am intrigued about the possibility of using the waiver at the LH desk, per what WineCountryUA said.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. Right, so there it shows a $200 fee for the third bag. That's the most authoritative and specific answer I got from United directly but I am intrigued about the possibility of using the waiver at the LH desk, per what WineCountryUA said.
waiver typically only applies when checking in with UA. On that page, when flying UA, definitely shows the third bag is free for me as a gold when ive looked.

on that note though, I do remember flying LH with three bags back on 2013 or so. Probably the only time Ive flown with 3 bags. Was a trip LHR-BOM, but was LHR was a stopover on the same ticket after flying UA ex-US to LHR. The UA allowance was the one that was maintained due to DOT regulations on itineraries to/from the US. Don't recall if weight was capped at 50 or 70 lbs. LH specifically told me in advance that those same UA rules would apply.

Have you tried calling LH to ask what their system says, as that will probably be what a check in agent goes by? my understanding of the DOT implementation of bag regs for itineraries to/from US is that it is supposed to be based on the rules of the carrier marketing the first flight of the itinerary, and that should carry through the entire itinerary (including return flights if applicable) but that elite allowances aren't part of that calculation - just the normal published policy for everyone. Not sure if it's different because LH is a close partner within *, so they allow more elite exemptions for UA flyers, but the allowance of 70 lbs. is definitely only available for elites. So I'm a bit confused.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:40 am

Have you tried calling LH to ask what their system says, as that will probably be what a check in agent goes by? my understanding of the DOT implementation of bag regs for itineraries to/from US is that it is supposed to be based on the rules of the carrier marketing the first flight of the itinerary, and that should carry through the entire itinerary (including return flights if applicable) but that elite allowances aren't part of that calculation - just the normal published policy for everyone. Not sure if it's different because LH is a close partner within *, so they allow more elite exemptions for UA flyers, but the allowance of 70 lbs. is definitely only available for elites. So I'm a bit confused.
Thank you. I have tried calling LH but somehow they maintained that LH economy rules would apply (1 bag + 1 extra for *G, 50lb limit), which is definitely not true, as UA is the marketing carrier. I tried explaining that to the agent but they just got more confused.

I think it's 70lbs because the transatlantic segment is in business class, not because of the elite status.

I will try calling LH again, maybe the last time they didn't see the upgrade in the system yet. LH doesn't have a bag tool on their website as far as I can see. At this point I think I will need to pay for the 3rd bag but I will do my best to charm the counter agent.

Update: I did call LH again and again they gave me Economy LH rules. They told me I will probably only really know at the airport

Last edited by woocash; Jul 8, 2017 at 8:01 am Reason: update
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Update: I did call LH again and again they gave me Economy LH rules. They told me I will probably only really know at the airport
That's pretty much always the case. No matter what they say on the phone, what matters is what the agent tells you at the airport. And they will sometime get it wrong. If they do get it wrong, and insist on charging, your recourse will be to request a refund after the fact.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:23 am

....I am intrigued about the possibility of using the waiver at the LH desk, per what WineCountryUA said.
waiver typically only applies when checking in with UA. ....
*G (including those from UA) on LH get 1 additional bag over the standard fare rules.

I have never had an issue getting the business class allowance (due to GPU or award ticket) when connecting on LH-operated economy

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's pretty much always the case. No matter what they say on the phone, what matters is what the agent tells you at the airport. And they will sometime get it wrong. If they do get it wrong, and insist on charging, your recourse will be to request a refund after the fact.
unfortunately that is reality -- at checkin, the agent will depend on what the computer states which generally is more accurate than phone agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.