Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: United Silver
Booked on United - Flying Austrian Air - Check In

Hello -

Traveling on Austrian Air to Hong Kong from Dulles in a couple of weeks. I booked this award ticket on the United website and it is totally on Austrian (IAD to VIE then VIE to HKG). Based on the flight numbers, it doesn't look like a code share. According to my ticket number it begins with 016.

Questions: When it is time to check in for the Dulles and connecting flight, do I do that on the United App or do I go to the Austrian website to check in.

In the event of a cancelled flight at either Dulles, or Vienna, do I attempt to contact United, or Austrian.

Thank you much for your input!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David10225
Hello -

Traveling on Austrian Air to Hong Kong from Dulles in a couple of weeks. I booked this award ticket on the United website and it is totally on Austrian (IAD to VIE then VIE to HKG). Based on the flight numbers, it doesn't look like a code share. According to my ticket number it begins with 016.
Award tickets are never codeshares, and any UA award will be a 016 ticket -- so far, so good.

Questions: When it is time to check in for the Dulles and connecting flight, do I do that on the United App or do I go to the Austrian website to check in.
Always check in with the operating carrier; Austrian (OS) in this case.

In the event of a cancelled flight at either Dulles, or Vienna, do I attempt to contact United, or Austrian.

Thank you much for your input!
A delayed or cancelled flight on the day of travel is the responsibility of the carrier causing the delay -- OS. They'd be responsible for rebooking you appropriately to get you to HKG, whether the issue occurs at IAD or VIE.

If the cancellation were to occur before the date of travel, you'd contact UA.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
A delayed or cancelled flight on the day of travel is the responsibility of the carrier causing the delay -- OS. They'd be responsible for rebooking you appropriately to get you to HKG, whether the issue occurs at IAD or VIE.
While this is accurate, I would add that UA historically has been willing to help in irrops situations on their own tickets, even if they are not the responsible party. Specifically, if IAD-VIE got delayed to the point of misconnection, I would bet that UA would be willing to move you to IAD-FRA/ZRH/whatever got you into HKG soonest and had open space.

This is especially true at a UA hub like IAD, where the options UA can 'natively' offer are probably more substantial than OS (though OS can and should be able to put you on UA metal themselves).

If your status is with UA, therefore, and the OS rebooking line is long or you can't get what you want, I wouldn't rule out calling UA and seeing whether they'd be willing to help you out.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Purchased the following on ual.com and was issued with UA flight #s and 016 tickets.

JFK-BRU-PRG (Brussels Airlines Metal)
PRG-FRA-JFK (Lufthansa Metal)

All "P" Class except BRU-PRG is "Y".

On my receipt and on .bomb baggage calculator it states 1 bag @ 50# and $100 for 2nd bag as the baggage allowance for both directions.

Is this correct, and if so, why?

Last edited by msg75; Nov 3, 2017 at 1:04 pm Reason: Changed EWR to JFK.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by msg75
Purchased the following on ual.com and was issued with UA flight #s and 016 tickets.

EWR-BRU-PRG (Brussels Airlines Metal)
PRG-FRA-EWR (Lufthansa Metal)

All "P" Class except BRU-PRG is "Y".

On my receipt and on .bomb baggage calculator it states 1 bag @ 50# and $100 for 2nd bag as the baggage allowance for both directions.

Is this correct, and if so, why?
No. As a Business Class passenger with *G, your allowance will be 3x 32kg outbound, and also 3x 32kg on the return.

Last edited by findark; Nov 3, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark
No. As a Business Class passenger with *G, your allowance will be 3x 32kg outbound, and also 3x 32kg on the return.
Understood. So is this a glitch on .bomb?

"Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag 2nd bag Max wt / dim per piece

New York, NY (JFK) to Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) 0.00 USD 100.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)
Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) to New York, NY (JFK) 0.00 USD 100.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)"

Also, can I assume that the Business Class allowance on the first leg via Brussels would transfer through to the intra-Europe connection in "Y"?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Understood. So is this a glitch on .bomb?

"Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag 2nd bag Max wt / dim per piece

New York, NY (JFK) to Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) 0.00 USD 100.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)
Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) to New York, NY (JFK) 0.00 USD 100.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)"
Yes.

Also, can I assume that the Business Class allowance on the first leg via Brussels would transfer through to the intra-Europe connection in "Y"?
I'm assuming that you are not re-checking your bags in BRU. If you have a stopover or overnight connection, then you may have a lesser allowance on that segment.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I'm assuming that you are not re-checking your bags in BRU. If you have a stopover or overnight connection, then you may have a lesser allowance on that segment.
No re-checking of bags, just a quick connection. Thanks for the help.^
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Who to check-in with

I have an upcoming UA award itinerary, all on partner flights (first flight on AC.) Should I check in on UA's website/app or AC's?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by socalflying
I have an upcoming UA award itinerary, all on partner flights (first flight on AC.) Should I check in on UA's website/app or AC's?
You check in with the airline that operates your first flight. The fact that it's a UA award has no bearing on who you check in with.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
You check in with the airline that operates your first flight. The fact that it's a UA award has no bearing on who you check in with.
Thank you for the prompt response...I appreciate it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question No 3rd bag fees waiver for UA 1K traveling on a partner?

Hello,
Please accept my apologies for this rush question. I flew IAH-EWR-BOM-MAA - the last leg on 9W (Jet Airways) with 3 bags up to 70 lbs to India and there were no problems. I am in Chennai now with 3 large bags. Now on the return, I am taking AI 672 from MAA-BOM, and have a 6 hr 30 min layover in BOM to connect with UA 49 to EWR (got my GPU upgrade cleared to Polaris from Q fare). When I check with Air India, they are giving me a lot of grief:
1) They are not allowing the 3rd bag (I am fine with just 50 lbs/23 kg) and ask me to the talk to the duty manager in MAA. When I call them, I cannot get through to him/her. I have 3 bags packed and nowhere to give away the 3rd bag. As a *G, AI should give offer the 3rd bag at 50 lbs as their normal allowance for USA bound passengers are 2 bags in Economy
2) Since the connection time is just over 6 hours in BOM (arrive in BOM at 4:50pm IST and leave BOM at 11:20 pm IST; no overnight) they are unsure if they can Interline my bags all the way to EWR and IAH. Really? UA and AI are Star Alliance partners, and why are they giving a *G/1K passenger so much grief?

I urgently request your help/suggestions/tips to tide over this situation. I cannot afford to shell out $200 for a 3rd bag just to get from MAA-BOM; because UA says I can check-in 3 bags with 70 lbs each, if somehow I can get my bags to BOM from MAA.

Please help! Thanks!!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
MSC (most significant carrier) is UA so you may be correct about being entitled to 3 (not necessarily on the basis of your *G status - AI domestic is weight-based and not piece based). At the same time, if you are in a big hurry you might want to start scraping together the $200 which hopefully you can later get refunded.

Maybe someone with more familiarity with AI can chime in as to how to handle this at check-in?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:27 am

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Exactly...I raised the MSC point...but was told that it works only in the EU market; DoT rules make it flexibile to adopt whatever the first carrier (here AI) wants to do. Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.