Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by onthesam
You have a 6 hour layover. Are you traveling with <45kg (99lbs)? If so, you can check them free MAA-BOM and then collect and re-check them free with UA at BOM.

Per AI for domestic economy: Checked Baggage Allowance for Domestic travel on Air India : 25Kgs + 20kgs extra for *G.Checked Baggage Allowances - Air India
Great point...but I have packed 3 bags with at least 23 kgs (50 lbs) each. So if I were to short check-in my 3 bags only upto BOM (from MAA), then I only have to pay (23*3) - (25) - (20) = 24 kgs. With a charge of 400 INR per kg that will run to INR 9,600 which is approx. $148. Wow! Maybe it is just cheaper to just leave my 3rd bag alone in the MAA airport.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
We can argue IATA MSC vs DoT and the way all carriers game the system.

All that counts is that OP needs to document any charge and send it to UA when the day is done to get any refund due.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
We can argue IATA MSC vs DoT and the way all carriers game the system.

All that counts is that OP needs to document any charge and send it to UA when the day is done to get any refund due.
UA is not going to refund any bag fees paid to AI.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can complain to DOT that UA is providing inaccurate baggage information on their eTickets.

Don't expect any individualized action, but if they get enough complaints about it they can penalize the carriers for their practices.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
The problem is fairly simple. AI will not be able see/understand/validate your 1K status. All they can see is your *G status and are honouring it.
The only way any airlines would give you the 1K baggage benefit would be if it was in your ticket. Otherwise they would potentially risk UA not accepting the baggage or having to pay UA the fees themselves.For whatever reason your baggage allowance is not displayed on your ticket even in the screenshot you provided. You need to get UA to fix this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
You need to get UA to fix this.
The problem with the receipt is that OP has been upgraded on the UA return legs. If given the chance, UA would apply the business class luggage allowance to the entire itinerary, which is why it's displaying the 2 bags at 70 lbs on that receipt. However, I don't think that AI is necessarily obligated to accept that, because OP is not in J on AI. You could therefore make an argument that UA should fix the luggage display to make sure it's using the class of service for the first flight when that first flight is a partner.

However, there's nothing else to fix. OP's baggage allowance is not 3 pieces, but rather two, because UA's economy allowance to India is one piece. OP was allowed to check three pieces due to a waiver for 1Ks, which is indicated on the receipt for the outbound (that's why it says "$100 $0"). It would have said the same thing if OP hadn't upgraded the return.

OP: I'm sorry that you found yourself in this situation, but I believe AI is following the letter of the law (and of the contract) here.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by surram
....They do not want to hear that as a 1K I am eligible for 3 bags....
Nobody at anywhere other than a United counter wants to hear that. If you read the UA Premier rules, you’ll see the 1K allowances and bag fee waivers are valid ONLY AT UNITED Counters.

At non-United *A counters, you are subject to United’s normal bag charges based on cabin, with any benefit your Star Alliance status (not United status) provides.

i continue to be surprised by 1Ks who don’t know the rules...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP has an e-ticket receipt which shows the upgraded segments and shows a 3-bag allowance for MAA-EWR, OP may have a valid claim against UA for the excess baggage charge levied by AI. But, OP does not say that this is the case. Even if he does, it is quite possible that the only remedy is a DOT complaint and DOT has shown zero interest in this.

As OP points out, he can save himself roughly $50 by short-checking his third bag xMAA for just the domestic hop (presuming AI permits this), schlepping the bag to a UA check-in counter and then checking his third bag in with UA. At a UA counter, OP is entitled to three bags as a 1K. Whether this hassle and risk is worth $50 is something only OP knows.

The DOT rule is not complicated. It applies to tickets originating or destined for the US. It provides that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket, including the return. But, the allowance is calculated using the "base allowance" for the ticket, e.g., status, credit card, and other affinity waivers do not count.

Based on this simple rule, OP's base allowance is one bag for all segments. In addition to the one bag, on UA segments, OP receives 2 bags as a 1K and on AI segments, he receives 1 bag as a *G.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 1, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Thumbs up What really happened at MAA airport? Quick report

First of all, thank you so much for all your replies. After getting a full understanding of the base allowance + 1 bag, I hurriedly re-packed and consolidated the 3 bags into 2 with 70 lbs on each baggage, and gave away my 3rd bag to a friend in MAA. AI was puzzled as to why I am checking in at 70 lbs (32 kgs) at MAA, and suggested I could have had 3 bags at 23 kgs each. Clearly, the domestic check-in person at MAA is going by AI's own international baggage allowance (which is 2) plus 1 bag as *G. He probably does not know the nuances of the FMC.

I had a printout of United eTicket with baggage allowance that stated 2 bags at 70 lbs each (the same screenshot I uploaded in my earlier post). He called his supervisor over his walkie-talkie, and she said to honor whatever was in the printed UA eTicket receipt.

But there was another small issue...where in the heat of consolidating 3 bags into 2, I didn't realize that I had gone over the 32 kg limit by 1.5 kg on one bag, and 2 kgs on the other bag. They said it is against Indian labor laws and the baggage handler could refuse to accept my bags and there is a chance that it could be lying around in MAA. He offered to check 3 bags at 23 kgs if I had a 3rd bag and spread the weight around. But I was able to take the little overage of 1.5 kg and 2 kgs into my hand luggage and was able to get 2 bags at 70 lbs (32 kgs) checked all the way through MAA-BOM-EWR-IAH. The only thing in MAA is you have to get your check-in luggage x-rayed and they will seal it, BEFORE you can approach the check-in counter. So, if you have excess luggage, you have to break the seal, remove things, and go back to the x-ray line and get it re-sealed. It is hard to be precise on how much luggage to take out (a few jeans, a few shirts - may or may not get you over the 2.5 kgs excess). So, it was more art than science :-)

So, what I gleaned from this...your experience really varies depending upon the agent that checks in the bags, and what his understanding of the baggage allowance is. Going forward, I am only going to assume 2 bags at 23 kgs each to save myself the hassles.

I again want to thank the FT community for their valuable insights. I know I can always count on you folks :-)

Last edited by surram; Apr 12, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:50 am

SAS flight booked with United miles. Do I check in with United App or SAS App?

Flying a 2 segment business class flight BLQ-CPH-EWR that was paid for with United miles. Should I check in with the United app or the SAS App? Would rather not do it at the airport, as I don’t want any mix up on previosly reserved seats.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Always check in with the operating carrier, with the exception of regional/express carriers (check in with their mainline partner).
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Flying a 2 segment business class flight BLQ-CPH-EWR that was paid for with United miles. Should I check in with the United app or the SAS App? Would rather not do it at the airport, as I don’t want any mix up on previosly reserved seats.
Use the SAS app/site. Check your UA reservation page you may see an “additional info” *tab that will show thbe SAS confirmation number that you can then use on the SAS site to view/manage your reservation.

*it may be the same as your UA conf #.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Would rather not do it at the airport, as I don’t want any mix up on previosly reserved seats.
IME, checking at the airport counter is the safest way to avoid anything happening to the reservation.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Question European check-in

My itinerary starts with a United partner airline which connects to a United TATL flight. Can I check in on-line at united.com 24 hours before the first flight? The partner's website doesn't recognize the United confirmation number.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will need to call United to get the other airline's PNR for this reservation. (Out of interest, what airline?) Otherwise the answer to your question is 'Yes'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.