Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:15 am

Hawaiian air checkin

Flew wHNL-ITO-LAX with first leg on Hawaiian. Called Hawaiian pre flight to get seat assignments and they attached Hawaiian FF number to make check in easier and to have pltrusted traveler number attached for precheck.

At check in with Hawaiian only the first leg BP printed (expected). TA at HNL printed ITO-LAX BP. Saw the HA FF number on the BP so asked at United Club, over chat with Hawaiian, and over phone with United to see if I would get credited with UA PQM for the United leg. All tried to change the FF number back to UA but couldn’t. UA phone agent said just call after flights and ask for retroactive credit.

Called several days after flights and was told my Hawaiian account was credited so cannot get UA credit. But it wasn’t. Any suggestions or am I SOL? This went as expected the last time I had a Hawaiian initial segment last November.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by mathprof
Flew wHNL-ITO-LAX with first leg on Hawaiian.
I realize this is a bit OT, but why would you route HNL-ITO-LAX rather than take any of the numerous nonstops? Just curious....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
I realize this is a bit OT, but why would you route HNL-ITO-LAX rather than take any of the numerous nonstops? Just curious....
Needed a very late afternoon or evening flight and that one was more than $100 cheaper than the red eye HNL-LAX direct flight.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I don't think so. It is a fare basis of W, but corporate travel is not supposed to be able to buy either BE or Light fares. Also, I am waitlisted for an upgrade on the TATL segment, which shouldn't happen on a Light fare.
OK, I agree; that doesn’t sound like a light fare, then. It sounds like a glitch on the UA receipt. You should get LH’s normal allowance for flights to the US (1 bag) plus one extra bag for *G.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, I agree; that doesn’t sound like a light fare, then. It sounds like a glitch on the UA receipt. You should get LH’s normal allowance for flights to the US (1 bag) plus one extra bag for *G.
To add to the confusion...

I canceled that flight and rebooked in V. (Slight itinerary change - so it turns out to be an interesting experiment, even if unintended) Same PNR. It still shows $100 for two bags, and the receipt (but not the reservation) shows W as the basis.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Can’t check in online if itinerary involves LH?

United booking on UA flight number out of LHR tomo connecting in FRA-SFO with LH flying the LHR-FRA and return sectors. I can’t check in for the UA flown sectors either? I can understand the LH flight but puzzled as to why I can’t get a BP for the United B777 out of FRA.
Is this normal or a prelude to SSSS?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:48 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
United booking on UA flight number out of LHR tomo connecting in FRA-SFO with LH flying the LHR-FRA and return sectors. I can’t check in for the UA flown sectors either? I can understand the LH flight but puzzled as to why I can’t get a BP for the United B777 out of FRA.
You always check in with operating carrier - find LH number in your UA reservation, go to LH web site using LH number, check in @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You always check in with operating carrier - find LH number in your UA reservation, go to LH web site using LH number, check in @:-)
Is it possible that you're not within 24 hours to check in for the UA FRA-SFO leg? In theory it shouldn't matter for a connection, but you're dealing with LH and UA systems, and they don't always play nice together. I often have trouble with LH checkin when multiple airlines are involved, sometimes for obscure reasons. Sometimes a call will fix it. I had trouble with MUC-WAW (LH) and then WAW-ORD (LO) and I called LH and they said something about something being out of sync and they were able to fix it, allowing me to check in.

I don't know if you have status to allow you in the LHR lounge, but if all else fails the agents there should be able to help.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by milepig
Is it possible that you're not within 24 hours to check in for the UA FRA-SFO leg? In theory it shouldn't matter for a connection, but you're dealing with LH and UA systems, and they don't always play nice together. I often have trouble with LH checkin when multiple airlines are involved, sometimes for obscure reasons. Sometimes a call will fix it. I had trouble with MUC-WAW (LH) and then WAW-ORD (LO) and I called LH and they said something about something being out of sync and they were able to fix it, allowing me to check in.

I don't know if you have status to allow you in the LHR lounge, but if all else fails the agents there should be able to help.
Yup it's under 24 hours for the UA leg and the app is telling me :
"Check-in is not currently offered for flights that are operated by another carrier. Please proceed to the airport to check-in."

HOWEVER if I use the UNITED desktop site and look at my UNITED booking, I then get a Lufthansa Confirmation Number which (handily) I plug into my Lufthansa app and after adding API details I end up with two Lufthansa BP's LH925 and UA059, even though I booked on united.com. It's never easy

Thanks all !
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

HOWEVER if I use the UNITED desktop site and look at my UNITED booking, I then get a Lufthansa Confirmation Number which (handily) I plug into my Lufthansa app and after adding API details I end up with two Lufthansa BP's LH925 and UA059, even though I booked on united.com. It's never easy

Thanks all !
Standard behavior - the first carrier can issue the BP for both flights (*A). Typically once you've flown the first leg (or the last non-UA leg) you will be able to get a UA BP from the UA app, if you want that.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup it's under 24 hours for the UA leg and the app is telling me :
"Check-in is not currently offered for flights that are operated by another carrier. Please proceed to the airport to check-in."

Thanks all !
its easy if you know how it’s supposed to work.

You always check in with the operating carrier of the first flight that day. So LH connecting to UA, and you need to check in with LH - or their website/app. Getting BPs for both the partner and UA segments is expected behavior (it doesn’t always work with partners, but especially within star that happens most of the time. You can only go to UA after you have been loaded by the system onto your last partner flight.

Also, app does have the partner PNR number available. Down near the bottom of the reservation, there are a couple of buttons you can click. You should see one that says (IIRC) additional information when you have a partner on the reservation, below the seat selection one, and that will display your LH confirmation.

UA.com and the app, if you have a partner segment first, will give you a message saying you need to check in with the partner carrier, and should give you a link. IIRC, pre-merger UA used to allow you to check in for the UA segments only using OLCI at T-24 before the first UA segment , even when a partner had the first segment. However, that’s long gone and I’d guess probably confused the internal systems. Post-merger, the only way is to use th partner carrier check in. I imagine that can cause some issues (I.e, splitting to get on the CPU list for a onward UA segment, selecting an E+ seat for silvers at check in), but probably much fewer issues than the other way around.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…even though I booked on united.com...
Think of it this way - where would you go if you were not checking in online, but at the airport? A United counter for a Lufthansa flight? Same thing online or at an airport - you always go to the counter (or website) of the operating carrier for your first flight on an itinerary. It doesn't matter one iota where (or from whom) you bought the ticket.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 8, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Last time I connected in Frankfurt from an LH flight to UA, I had to report to a designated gate BEFORE going to the departure gate for a security check/immigration qustions. They reussue your boarding pass once cleared as proof that you have been through their security screening. Not sure if the procedure is still in place but just allow yourself some time, just in case.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Flying on a United Award economy ticket (016) with the first flight on Air Canada (class YN). There are two of us on the same PNR. I'm 1K but my companion has no status. How many bags may we check for free in total? The United email says 1 bag per traveler with the second costing $100, the UA website says 2 bags, and the AC site says 1 bag for *G with the second costing $50. I'm flying DCA-YOW. I know I can check in at least 1 bag for free, but would we be able to check in 2 bags for free together?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by branston
Flying on a United Award economy ticket (016) with the first flight on Air Canada (class YN). There are two of us on the same PNR. I'm 1K but my companion has no status. How many bags may we check for free in total? The United email says 1 bag per traveler with the second costing $100, the UA website says 2 bags, and the AC site says 1 bag for *G with the second costing $50. I'm flying DCA-YOW. I know I can check in at least 1 bag for free, but would we be able to check in 2 bags for free together?
What is the total itinerary (since you said "first flight")? Assuming (a) you are actually in X class since there is no YN class on AC, and (b) your total journey is DCA-YOW (or US to Canada), then as a *G the allowance is one bag at 23kg. I am not certain if your non-*G companion will also the get fee waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.