Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
What is the total itinerary (since you said "first flight")? Assuming (a) you are actually in X class since there is no YN class on AC, and (b) your total journey is DCA-YOW (or US to Canada), then as a *G the allowance is one bag at 23kg. I am not certain if your non-*G companion will also the get fee waived.
Yes, it's X class. I'm flying back on UA metal which is YN class. Sorry for the confusion. The main questions is whether my companion will get a free bag. I think the official answer is no, but I've heard conflicting reports.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Baggage Fees *Gold/Air Canada

Trying to figure out my baggage fees on a UA codeshare/AC metal flight LAX-YYZ tomorrow is way more difficult than it should be. First, UA agent told me my Plat status allowance should transfer. Second, receipt (for me + 2 family members no status) says 1st bag $30/2nd bag $50. Air Canada's own website baggage calculator says *Gold 1st bag free. When I try to check in online - it wants to charge me $30 + $50.

Hoping for help from more experience UA/AC flyers. There are 3 of us flying and 3 bags to check - I'd like to minimize the costs since this flight was already ridiculously expensive + I had to pay for E+ seats.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It's not seeing your *Gold right in the system. Just do it at check-in, where the agent can confirm the *G waiver.

Not sure if AC allows *G benefits for all in the itinerary. If not, the other 2 check in one bag each.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your baggage allowance is determined by the marketing carrier. I presume that to be UA. In that case, your allowance should be 3 bags up to 32 kg. each.

You can find this on the UA website, either by pulling up your itinerary or simply entering the relevant data into the online calculator.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...d-baggage.aspx

The fact that your e-ticket receipt shows something else suggests that something is wrong or that UA is not the marketing carrier. Even on an AC-marketed ticket as *G you would receive one bag.

If you supply exact details, someone here can explain the exact allowance.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Your baggage allowance is determined by the marketing carrier. I presume that to be UA. In that case, your allowance should be 3 bags up to 32 kg. each.

You can find this on the UA website, either by pulling up your itinerary or simply entering the relevant data into the online calculator.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...d-baggage.aspx

The fact that your e-ticket receipt shows something else suggests that something is wrong or that UA is not the marketing carrier. Even on an AC-marketed ticket as *G you would receive one bag.

If you supply exact details, someone here can explain the exact allowance.
It's a UA ticket, UA flight number (8022) purchased on UA's website, V class fare, LAX-YYZ, Air Canada operated. I have Platinum status, my husband and daughter have no status. On the receipt from UA, I'm first on the reservation and it says Platinum/*Gold.

I'd just like to be sure what my rights are before I get to the airport.

At the link it says "Service charges apply whenever bags are checked, and are determined by the marketing carrier of your itinerary's first segment (the airline whose flight number is printed on your boarding pass for that flight). "

Any UA/AC operated codeshare flights you have to check in with AC and it prints the AC flight number to I guess that means AC's the marketing carrier?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elynchking
Trying to figure out my baggage fees on a UA codeshare/AC metal flight LAX-YYZ tomorrow is way more difficult than it should be. First, UA agent told me my Plat status allowance should transfer. Second, receipt (for me + 2 family members no status) says 1st bag $30/2nd bag $50. Air Canada's own website baggage calculator says *Gold 1st bag free. When I try to check in online - it wants to charge me $30 + $50.

Hoping for help from more experience UA/AC flyers. There are 3 of us flying and 3 bags to check - I'd like to minimize the costs since this flight was already ridiculously expensive + I had to pay for E+ seats.
This is a common issue with Air Canada - you will need to go to the Priority Counter, have them re-enter your FFN again, and the status should show correctly. The carrier who sets the bag rules here is Air Canada, and you should be allowed to check-in up to 3 bags, free of charge.

If you want to check-in online to select seats, just ignore the bags and say "no" or "0" for check-in bags while checking in online - but at least get your seats for free during OLCI and don't wait for the airport when only middle seats might be leftover.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a UA ticket, UA flight number (8022) purchased on UA's website, V class fare, LAX-YYZ, Air Canada operated. I have Platinum status, my husband and daughter have no status. On the receipt from UA, I'm first on the reservation and it says Platinum/*Gold.
Any UA/AC operated codeshare flights you have to check in with AC and it prints the AC flight number to I guess that means AC's the marketing carrier?
No. UA is the marketing carrier even though an AC flight number may be printed on the boarding pass. What's printed on the ticket applies.

You should get one free bag as *G. Your companions are not entitled to any per *A policy, although it's possible that AC will be more generous. Sadly, it looks like there are no longer any free bags for non-status passengers on trans-border itineraries. I seem to remember that those used to get one free bag, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is a common issue with Air Canada - you will need to go to the Priority Counter, have them re-enter your FFN again, and the status should show correctly. The carrier who sets the bag rules here is Air Canada, and you should be allowed to check-in up to 3 bags, free of charge.
Because it is a UA flight number, it is UA's rules that apply, although AC is welcome to give higher allowances than required by policy. However, AC's policies seem to be identical to UA's on this ticket -- one bag due to *G status.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is it me or AC (trying to charge for bags)?

Searched the forums didn’t find anything and posting here given I’m a UA flyer/ticket.

Anyways I flew SFO-YVR-YKA-YVR-SFO.
Originally SFO-YVR-YKA was same day but I changed to overnight in YVR (good thing as my originally SFO flight would have blown my connection).
The agent tried to charge me when I rechecked the bag in YVR but I said I’m *G (it was on my BP already) and about 30 sec later it wasn’t an issue.
I went to OLCI last night for my YKA-YVR-SFO and when I selected one bag it wanted to charge me $40 CAD so I just left it at 0. Agent today said there would be a charge for the bag and I said “why’s that? I’m Gold and my main leg is a business class flight”...”oh! Business...” meanwhile he already had my info on the screen and my *G was of course on my BP.

I have 1 more, possibly 2 trips to Canada this year which may have intra-CA flights. I’m worried about a ski bag on one if they’re trying to already bilk me out of $ as it is.

Feel free to move to AC forum but I felt other UA fliers here may have better insight than their own elites.
Just saw a thread bump for this in a general code share check in thread.
Basically answers all of this. Can delete or merge this mods.

Thank you / Merci

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2018 at 1:06 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member; moved to exisiting thread
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Often1
But the United baggage allowance for this itinerary is zero. Waivers of baggage fees due to status are determined solely by the operating carrier of the first segment.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
But the United baggage allowance for this itinerary is zero. Waivers of baggage fees due to status are determined solely by the operating carrier of the first segment.
more specifically, UA bag waivers are determined based solely on UA being the operating carrier of the first segment. If it’s AC, there is no bag waiver, and you get the regular UA bag allowance of 0 on transborder, plus one bag for *G.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Slightly different question, but couldn't find the right thread for this on mobile search.

I am looking at booking ORD-SFO-YVR/YVR-SEA-ORD shortly. All segments except YVR-SEA (AC) on the return are UA metal. Does most significant carrier rule apply on the AC segment, allowing all 4 passengers on the itinerary the usual UA Gold checked baggage allowance? I would think so, but also have heard some difficulties with certain gate agents. We would likely be checking skis and a snowboard and AC only allows one checked bag for *G. Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:06 am

Follow up - arrived LAX and check in line was beyond SLOW. After waiting 20+ minutes we decided to just use the kiosks. Of course, it charged me the fee even though it printed out a “priority” bag tag. Do better Air Canada. When we brought the bags over to the drop, I told the guy, he gave me a card with phone numbers to request a refund. I asked if he would tag the other 2 bags with the priority hang tags. Guess the response - a very snarky “you are only entitled to one”.

I look forward to the addition of SFO-YYZ flights on United.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Slightly different question, but couldn't find the right thread for this on mobile search.

I am looking at booking ORD-SFO-YVR/YVR-SEA-ORD shortly. All segments except YVR-SEA (AC) on the return are UA metal. Does most significant carrier rule apply on the AC segment, allowing all 4 passengers on the itinerary the usual UA Gold checked baggage allowance?...
MSC is not used or flights originating or returning to USA, instead the DOT rule is used. In that base, the ticket benefits of the marketing carrier of the first segment are used.

Note the phrase is "ticket benefits". This is the benefit without elite benefits. The check-in carrier can apply elite benefits in addition but it is not binding on the other carriers.
So at the UA checkin you will get the ticket bag allowance / UA Gold benefit (2 bags @ 70 lbs)
Went you check in with AC, you will get the ticket allowance plus 1 additional bag (at the same weight) (The *G benefit)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So at the UA checkin you will get the ticket bag allowance / UA Gold benefit (2 bags @ 70 lbs)
Went you check in with AC, you will get the ticket allowance plus 1 additional bag (at the same weight) (The *G benefit)
And the ticket allowance is going to be zero for a trans border itinerary. In other words, you will get one free bag as *G.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
And the ticket allowance is going to be zero for a trans border itinerary. In other words, you will get one free bag as *G.
While the OP seems to be inferring economy, the actual cabin of the ticket is not specifically mentioned, so hard to be definitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.