Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's hit or miss. Sometimes an upgrade will be offered for sale immediately after booking, sometimes at check-in, and sometimes not at all. Presumably there's a rationale on the UA side, but on the consumer side it's not transparent at all.
Thank you all for the comments! This flight being the AC booked but in United app after that instantly says no upgrades. I have a Mileage plus flight in June that does offer upgrades but it’s international on a 757 and not the “honeymoon we never took” so I don’t care about that.

Fingers crossed on the 787-8 staying. I wouldn’t mind an 11th hour 787-9 swap in for the SFO-PPT leg to vastly increase the Polaris seats.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jquagga
I wouldn’t mind an 11th hour 787-9 swap in for the SFO-PPT leg to vastly increase the Polaris seats.
It could happen, but it's not economically viable for United to fly the 787-9 on that route.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:18 am

When do Mileage Plus upgrades clear?

I am usually a Delta flyer, but booked a family vacation with United in order to use up a bunch of Sapphire points in hopes of an upgrade. Flight legs are LIT-IAH-SJO and SJO-IAH-LIT . We are booked using the Mileage Plus upgrade option and are currently waitlisted. Travel dates are March 16-23. When do these waitlists clear?

We are 60 days out and I guess I am trying to decide whether I should go for the sure-thing Economy Plus or continue to roll the dice that we will get our upgrade (flights are currently eligible for free one time change or refund).

Any advice from experience United flyers is appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you purchase Economy Plus, and subsequently clear a mileage upgrade to a higher cabin, your seat fees will be refunded.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’m interested in booking MEX-ORD tomorrow, 1/17, flight UA474. The flight is very empty according to flight status (9/12 booked in business, both business and economy available and nobody on standby). However there are no seats for sale in any fare class.

The flight is still on time as is the flight earlier that day, the flights on 1/18, etc., so it doesn’t look like they’re expecting IRROPS as far as I can tell.

Why might sales be blocked off? What are the odds they open up again in the next 24 hours or so?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by getagb
I’m interested in booking MEX-ORD tomorrow, 1/17, flight UA474. The flight is very empty according to flight status (9/12 booked in business, both business and economy available and nobody on standby). However there are no seats for sale in any fare class.

The flight is still on time as is the flight earlier that day, the flights on 1/18, etc., so it doesn’t look like they’re expecting IRROPS as far as I can tell.

Why might sales be blocked off? What are the odds they open up again in the next 24 hours or so?
That flight is overbooked by 3 passengers after taking into account 9 "held" seats, which could happen due to weight restrictions or a host of other reasons. Seat maps are not reliable at all...
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mariol
That flight is overbooked by 3 passengers after taking into account 9 "held" seats, which could happen due to weight restrictions or a host of other reasons. Seat maps are not reliable at all...
I’m not looking at the seat maps and I understand those are basically meaningless. I’m looking at the “standby” tab’s availability labels and the “upgrades” tab’s capacity vs booked numbers on the flight status screen. Out of curiosity, where do you see 9 “held” seats?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mariol
Flight status claims both Business and Economy are "Available" yet the flight doesn't show up in the search for purchase. UA IT up to their old tricks again?
getagb likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, blind hog!

Originally Posted by blind hog
I am usually a Delta flyer, but booked a family vacation with United in order to use up a bunch of Sapphire points in hopes of an upgrade. Flight legs are LIT-IAH-SJO and SJO-IAH-LIT . We are booked using the Mileage Plus upgrade option and are currently waitlisted. Travel dates are March 16-23. When do these waitlists clear?
With no status, the odds of even one of your upgrades clearing are extremely low.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With no status, the odds of even one of your upgrades clearing are extremely low.
Eh, that’s not true, but I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

IAH-LIT on a Saturday is quite likely to clear. The problem is that since SJO-IAH isn’t a Polaris route, the official policy would be that the upgrade is considered ‘used’ and no refund is due if IAH-LIT clears but SJO-IAH does not.

OP: As to when they will clear the upgrades — it could be any time between now and when the flight departs. They’ll come onto the plane and move you if your upgrade clears after you’ve boarded. With no status, you’ll be behind all instrument-supported upgrades of members with status, and within 5 days of travel you’ll also be behind complimentary upgrades to Global Services customers. However, you’ll be ahead of all other Premier members awaiting complimentary upgrades, so your chances are nonzero.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:53 pm

Hopefully quick question, and hopefully the right forum for this -- apologies in advance in not!

If I book economy on UA metal with Aeroplan points on AC's website, what are my options to get E+? Best I've come up with so far is to look for a cash upgrade on UA's site post booking, but it's not entirely clear to me that'll be an option, or if so what pricing would look like. Are there other ways available to do this?

Related, is there any difference on the UA side booking a Standard Aeroplan reward vs Latitude? I get on the AC side Latitude makes it refundable, but any other differences? Presumably both are X on UA (or am I wrong on that), so likely is no difference in attempting to get E+, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SLKJames; Jan 18, 2024 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SLKJames
If I book economy on UA metal with Aeroplan points on AC's website, what are my options to get E+? Best I've come up with so far is to look for a cash upgrade option on UA's site post booking, but it's not entirely clear to me that'll be an option, or if so what pricing would look like. Are there other options available to do this?

Related, is there any difference on the UA side booking a Standard Aeroplan reward vs Latitude? I get on the AC side Latitude makes it refundable, but any other differences? Presumably both are X on UA (or am I wrong on that), so likely is no difference in attempting to get E+, correct? ...
If you don't have United elite status, you can purchase, on the United site, E+ access. Price will depend on the seat -- middles are the cheapest, bulk and exit row the most expense, ballpark number is $20-$30 / flight hour, if loads are light there may be some reduction,
jsloan and SLKJames like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thank you, very much appreciated!
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:17 pm

Welcome to FT, SLKJames!

Originally Posted by SLKJames
is there any difference on the UA side booking a Standard Aeroplan reward vs Latitude?
No difference.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
When traveling UA (domestic and booked through UA) as *G (LH SEN), will the system automatically assign a priority boarding group? My LH SEN number is entered into the UA profile section of the website, but through Mileage Plus I'm only Silver, and that's what the UA website shows as my status. How does Gold status work for someone like me who is *G through a partner airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.