Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by caddis
I have a choice here - I am currently United Platinum and have United Club Access - I will fly onward to DEL but have an option on Luftansa vs. United

Not sure if my Platinum status would be anything differentiating. I have only 40 PlusPoints, and I do not expect there will be a chance to use them here

Thanks all
I'd pick UA for E+ and free T-mobile wifi (not sure if that applies to you)

The PP could come into play, but you'd need to be buying pretty expensive fare classes in order to use them
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I'd pick UA for E+ and free T-mobile wifi (not sure if that applies to you)

The PP could come into play, but you'd need to be buying pretty expensive fare classes in order to use them
Thanks - I'll check out Economy Plus. I presume I can buy the flight from anywhere - probably Luftansa directly, since United won't sell the full itinery (SFO- Kathmandu)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I wouldn't call W expensive. Not at all. Right now, it's pretty common for the lowest UA economy fare on offer to be a Q or higher for TATL flights.
unitedwildcat likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't call W expensive. Not at all. Right now, it's pretty common for the lowest UA economy fare on offer to be a Q or higher for TATL flights.
yes youre right. I was thinking of using them with LH and completely forgot you can use UA pluspoints on UA
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
"Z" or "P" fare class newbie question

If I found a Z or a P fare class for a international trip from US-Europe, would the domestic flight to the int'l gateway of EWR also be Z or P? What I'm wondering is would this domestic leg be in first class (I get that long leg is in business). Sorry for what may be a simple question. Thank you.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
If I found a Z or a P fare class for a international trip from US-Europe, would the domestic flight to the int'l gateway of EWR also be Z or P? What I'm wondering is would this domestic leg be in first class (I get that long leg is in business). Sorry for what may be a simple question. Thank you.
Generally the domestic connector wold be the same fare class (but not always -- so you need to check). On a domestic connector Z/P would be a domestic first class.
Note some United Express flights don't have domestic first if you a connecting to a non-hub.
jsloan and mrlonghorn like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:44 pm

I purchased a mileage award flight in PP. one segment in economy RDU-EWR and purchased exit row seats. EWR-SFO in PP. Today I got an email saying I was getting a refund for the exit row charges. Was I charged in error during original booking? Ive never been in PP.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by zitsky
I purchased a mileage award flight in PP. one segment in economy RDU-EWR and purchased exit row seats. EWR-SFO in PP. Today I got an email saying I was getting a refund for the exit row charges. Was I charged in error during original booking? Ive never been in PP.
I know on international PP you'll get free E+ on the domestic connector. I'm pretty sure that is also true for EWR-SFO since it's marketed as PP.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, QR Gold, HH Diamond
No lounge access before the first segment even if I fly later in international F?

I have a flight BOS-ORD-NRT. The second segment is with ANA in F. Is it correct that I will have no access to the United Club in BOS? I have no status with Star Alliance.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
This just crossed my head, has united ever had scheduled 77W service into IAH?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grrizzli
I have a flight BOS-ORD-NRT. The second segment is with ANA in F. Is it correct that I will have no access to the United Club in BOS? I have no status with Star Alliance.
That is correct. Access is at ORD only (to the Polaris lounge, or United Club if you were to prefer that for some reason).
grrizzli likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grrizzli
No lounge access before the first segment even if I fly later in international F?

In the Star Alliance (UA/ANA/....). without status / lounge membership and your international carrier does not operate the lounge, you qualify for lounge access based solely on the departure flight from that airport. Other flights in your itin do not matter.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:18 pm

Adjustable footrest (Polaris or premium economy)

Is there a way to find planes with an adjustable foot rest (up/down)? Or do I need to research plane by plane? Im thinking Polaris or Premium Economy. I dont think domestic first has foot rests?

Im considering a Polaris/ANA itinerary but I already know that some ANA planes do NOT have one. 777 I think.

Interested in United and/or Star Alliance or anyone that will take me from East coast USA to SE Asia.

Husband insists on adjustable due to comfort. And I insist on no A350s.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:11 pm

Is there a way to find planes with an adjustable footrest (up/down)? Or do I need to research plane by plane? Im thinking Polaris or Premium Economy. I dont think domestic first has foot rests? ...
On UA the PremPlus seats have manual footrests )Bulkhead and nonbulk are different -- see much discussion in Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience,
All the UA lie flats have much better motorized footrests (and varying degrees of control).

Im considering a Polaris/ANA itinerary but I already know that some ANA planes do NOT have one. 777 I think. ..
Some carriers do, some don't. AC does not (on the 787 at least) and LH does. But as this is the UA forum, suggested seeking the details of the non-UA aircraft in the appropriate forum or *A forum,
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:06 pm

I have a round trip split into two confirmation numbers. Re-booking it as a multi city trip nets me close to $1k in savings right now. One leg of this trip (4 flights total) is on LH, already had Plus Points partner upgrade cleared.

If I cancel this confirmation (so I have the future flight credit to re-book on a new confirmation), will I get those LH plus points back? It's an inconsequential 2 hour flight so I'm not terribly worried if the upgrade is no longer available. Just don't want to waste the plus points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.