Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...


Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 102
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Does 2023 start today for MileagePlus status? Specifically, for earning 2023 status, did all flights have to occur before today? I seem to remember a number of years ago that miles earned in January could count towards the previous year.

Also, if my status went down, would my new status start today?

Thanks!
DanK is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:47 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,275
Originally Posted by DanK
Does 2023 start today for MileagePlus status? Specifically, for earning 2023 status, did all flights have to occur before today? I seem to remember a number of years ago that miles earned in January could count towards the previous year.

Also, if my status went down, would my new status start today?

Thanks!
Yes, 2023 starts 1-Jan for MP qualifying activity. Status from any given year's qualifying activity expires 31-Jan of the following year. So if in 2022 you qualified lower, your lower status would commence 2023-Feb-01.
fumje is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 241
Yeah it's great, if you're a frequent UA flier you'll for sure spend $200 a year somehow on tickets, so this is pretty much as good as actual cash in terms of value. Check if it posted in a week, and if it does do it again right away so you don't have to worry about it for 2023 (plus, with $400 of travelbank credit, there's a lot of flights that amount could entirely cover, so your first personal UA flight of the year could be entirely "free" (though of course you did pay the Amex annual fee)
SuperEWR is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:00 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: United
Posts: 35
Unsure if this is the appropriate forum to be posting as this is a genera etiquette question (although somewhat specific to the UA 767 polaris layout)
My wife and I will be travelling to Europe this summer with our two children (3y and 1y). We both work hectic schedules so anything to ease the pain of travel is welcomed. The polaris seat layout on the 767 is a 1-1-1 layout.

Question:
1) Should I even entertain this idea? (Obviously a 1-2-1 would be easier to manage)
2) Is it possible to buy 2 business seats and 1 economy and then have both children as lap passengers?

Please no hate responses! Honestly looking for some pointers on how to best navigate this flight. Both children have flown before and do quite well (however this is on 3 hour flights to Florida).
Johhny5Alive is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:27 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,905
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
1) Should I even entertain this idea? (Obviously a 1-2-1 would be easier to manage)
There are certain seat pairs that work relatively well for two people traveling together. The AeroLOPA seat maps show the most detail:

Introducing aeroLOPA: A new portfolio of detailed UA cabin layout plans

Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
2) Is it possible to buy 2 business seats and 1 economy and then have both children as lap passengers?
The 3-year-old must be buckled into a seat for takeoff and landing. I suppose you could put one parent in Y, and the other parent and three-year-old in J seats that face each other. But, from a practical point of view, this is a terrible idea unless your three-year-old is extremely small for that age. The Polaris seats just arent big enough for a parent and child to share them comfortably for any length of time. Honestly, you might be better off with five Y seats than 2J + 1Y.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: United
Posts: 35
@jsloan appreciate the feedback!
Follow-up Question: Which is better option?
A) Fly into airport 2 hours from destination but on 777 in W
B) Fly direct to destination airport on 767 in Y
Johhny5Alive is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:24 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,905
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
@jsloan appreciate the feedback!
Follow-up Question: Which is better option?
A) Fly into airport 2 hours from destination but on 777 in W
B) Fly direct to destination airport on 767 in Y
Thats a tough one. By W, I assume you mean Premium Economy. (On UA, W is an economy fare class, but W is used by several other airlines to mean PE).

The UA PE seats are more spacious than Y, and they dont have the same amount of privacy as the J seats, making them better for keeping an eye on the kids. However, the PE armrests are unmovable; one of the advantages of Y when traveling with small children is that the parent can put the armrest up and share much of that extra room that a toddler doesnt need, without a physical separation that might make the child a bit antsy.

Adding a stop is a personal preference. Many / most travelers would prefer to fly nonstop to their destination, but there is an advantage to having an extra flight / train trip / etc. eastbound the more exhausted everyone is at the end of the first day in Europe, the better. The physical inconvenience of additional travel may work to your benefit. Time zone adjustments are particularly difficult for young children.

Id probably skew toward the nonstop 767 Y with a dedicated seat for each child so 2x2, or even 2x3 with an extra seat purchased, which could potentially allow one parent to sleep in the set of 3 seats, while the other parent minds the store. If you happen to have a car seat that will fit into a Y seat, and is FAA-approved many, but not all, fit that description than youll have a place to let the infant sleep so that the parents can rest.

Im sure some other people will have thoughts on the subject as well.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by angetenar
The Polaris lounges are excellent, highly recommend. It sounds like you'll have access to the SFO Polaris Lounge, which is quite large as well.



The only plane on SFO-PPT is the 787-9. It sounds like you are flying AAA-SFO-PPT, what is your origin?
would be straight UA itinerary, originating in PHL.
erdoran is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 27
I'm not sure where to post this question, so asking here:
Spouse and I booked economy award tickets on flight 102 from IAH to Munich for Feb 19th. We want to upgrade to Polaris, but the buy up price of $1,700 hasn't budged since we purchased in late November. What are the odds that the price to upgrade will go down given that we only used 30,000 for this leg of our trip? I am tempted to cancel these award ticket flights and rebook since the round trip price in economy for our flights is currently only $1,008. We could then waitlist for MUA or Plus Points, both of which are not options on our current award ticket itinerary. But then we risk not getting off the waitlist since we are only Platinum. Would the cash price to buy up to Polaris likely be less on a revenue fare than it is for our award fare?
Ultimately, we want to be in Polaris on the outbound leg of the trip, one way or another. What should my strategy be to get seats in Polaris for the best price?
Also, very few seats in any section of the plane are selected on our flight. So should my bigger concern be that United may cancel flight 102 for that date?
Buckskin is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,515
Originally Posted by erdoran
would be straight UA itinerary, originating in PHL.
It looks like there is only one daily PHL-SFO flight on a 737, so not much choice there either.
angetenar is online now  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,515
Originally Posted by Buckskin
I'm not sure where to post this question, so asking here:
Spouse and I booked economy award tickets on flight 102 from IAH to Munich for Feb 19th. We want to upgrade to Polaris, but the buy up price of $1,700 hasn't budged since we purchased in late November. What are the odds that the price to upgrade will go down given that we only used 30,000 for this leg of our trip? I am tempted to cancel these award ticket flights and rebook since the round trip price in economy for our flights is currently only $1,008. We could then waitlist for MUA or Plus Points, both of which are not options on our current award ticket itinerary. But then we risk not getting off the waitlist since we are only Platinum. Would the cash price to buy up to Polaris likely be less on a revenue fare than it is for our award fare?
Ultimately, we want to be in Polaris on the outbound leg of the trip, one way or another. What should my strategy be to get seats in Polaris for the best price?
Also, very few seats in any section of the plane are selected on our flight. So should my bigger concern be that United may cancel flight 102 for that date?
1. United will not cancel your flight because of low loads.
2. There are several ways to guarantee being in Polaris: buying up, as you've concerned, booking that leg directly in business, either with cash or money, or finding open upgrade inventory. Currently P=9 so loads are low, and PZ may open up, so keep an eye on it.
angetenar is online now  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: AA, but I play the field
Posts: 1,357
Originally Posted by Buckskin
I'm not sure where to post this question, so asking here:
Spouse and I booked economy award tickets on flight 102 from IAH to Munich for Feb 19th. We want to upgrade to Polaris, but the buy up price of $1,700 hasn't budged since we purchased in late November. What are the odds that the price to upgrade will go down given that we only used 30,000 for this leg of our trip? I am tempted to cancel these award ticket flights and rebook since the round trip price in economy for our flights is currently only $1,008. We could then waitlist for MUA or Plus Points, both of which are not options on our current award ticket itinerary. But then we risk not getting off the waitlist since we are only Platinum. Would the cash price to buy up to Polaris likely be less on a revenue fare than it is for our award fare?
Ultimately, we want to be in Polaris on the outbound leg of the trip, one way or another. What should my strategy be to get seats in Polaris for the best price?
Also, very few seats in any section of the plane are selected on our flight. So should my bigger concern be that United may cancel flight 102 for that date?
Given the figures you are quoting, I'm wondering what you would consider to be an acceptable price for being in J, either in $ or miles/points? It looks like one way J fare is selling right now for $5900; that would make 30,000 miles plus $1700 buy up seem like a pretty good discount to me for guaranteed J, but we all have different thresholds for both acceptable cost and risk tolerance (ie waiting closer to the date to see if prices drop)..
ZenFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:29 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Posts: 10,130
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Given the figures you are quoting, I'm wondering what you would consider to be an acceptable price for being in J, either in $ or miles/points? It looks like one way J fare is selling right now for $5900; that would make 30,000 miles plus $1700 buy up seem like a pretty good discount to me for guaranteed J, but we all have different thresholds for both acceptable cost and risk tolerance (ie waiting closer to the date to see if prices drop)..
Looking at the one-way fare is going to show an inflated rate.

1,700 is steep.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:41 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA/NYC/IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 1,893
Is there something that prevents a K fare and an R fare on the same ticket?

Specifically multi-city ticket open-jaw SEA-SFO-EWR, first leg in Y with second leg in PY a week later. The latter only shows me the higher A fare. Am I overthinking this? Do I just book separate tickets and call it a day?
Polytonic is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:00 pm
  #15  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,119
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is there something that prevents a K fare and an R fare on the same ticket? ...
No,

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Specifically multi-city ticket open-jaw SEA-SFO-EWR, first leg in Y with second leg in PY a week later. The latter only shows me the higher A fare. Am I overthinking this? Do I just book separate tickets and call it a day?
Does R inventory exist for the SFO-EWR segment?
Is there any particular reason for having this on one PNR?
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.