Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
SQ codeshares with AS and B6 (along with UA) on many domestic routes. Some routes are just not possible ticketing the entire journey within *A on one ticket.

If you have to fly *A but it is not SQ codeshared, then consider buying a separate ticket with higher than normal amount of time in between.

Actually, if you are flying EWR to SIN nonstop, that flight leaves in early morning. I would just get whatever flight the day before, where B6 or UA on separate tickets.
Thanks.

B6 == JetBlue?

AS == Singapore Airlines?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks.

B6 == JetBlue?

AS == Singapore Airlines?
AS = Alaska Airlines
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I want to fly to Singapore from RDU. So I think I need to book RDU-EWR separately because Singapore Airlines doesn’t know about RDU. It’s cheaper than booking it all through United RDU-EWR-DPS-SIN-EWR-RDU.

Or is there a way to book this all through SA? Or book through United and save money? There is a premium going out of RDU.

It’s just convenience really.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
SQ codeshares with AS and B6 (along with UA) on many domestic routes. Some routes are just not possible ticketing the entire journey within *A on one ticket.

If you have to fly *A but it is not SQ codeshared, then consider buying a separate ticket with higher than normal amount of time in between.

Actually, if you are flying EWR to SIN nonstop, that flight leaves in early morning. I would just get whatever flight the day before, where B6 or UA on separate tickets.
+1

I have been doing this a lot lately. Buy a separate "positioning" flight to a hub and then the separate ticket on Singapore (or EVA, etc), for the long haul flights. Saves quite a bit of money.

As Repooc17 stated, make sure to leave plenty of time between those flights, as you do not have any protection in case of irrops.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:27 pm

If I book mileage award travel to Costa Rica, and use my United Business MileagePlus card to pay for the $355 in fees (for 4 tickets), do I get the free baggage allowance for me and one companion?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zimm0who0net
If I book mileage award travel to Costa Rica, and use my United Business MileagePlus card to pay for the $355 in fees (for 4 tickets), do I get the free baggage allowance for me and one companion?
yes, 1 bag. Paid the award fees will qualify you
https://www.theexplorercard.com/busi.../business-card

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2024 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, 1 bag. Paid the award fees qualify you
Thanks. It's not very clear from anywhere on their web site. It says you have to "pay for the ticket with your credit card", but if you're booking award travel, you're technically paying with miles, and then using the card to pay the fees. I wish they made it more clear! Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:16 pm

Is there an easy way to find Premium Plus flights without looking at each one? Say there are five flights a day and you only want to look at ones with PP?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there an easy way to find Premium Plus flights without looking at each one? Say there are five flights a day and you only want to look at ones with PP?
Look for widebodies -- all the 777, 787, and 767s have PremPlus (except the 772HD - Hawaii config)
none of the narrow bodies have PremPlus (yet -- hoping the A321XLR will)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Google Flights, filter by United and premium economy
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:16 pm

HI Guys,

Two random/unrelated questions.

1) Is there a simple way to see all UA metal flights scheduled between two airports for next 6 or so months? Ultimately I am trying to determine if there is a discernible pattern in flight schedules in both directions between ORD and a small midwestern Essential Air Service airport. I.e., M - Th there is 3 flights a day in both directions, but F - Sun there is 4, etc.

2) Does anyone know how long UA keeps customer related Mileage Plus data? I am in a phase of my career where I am traveling quite a bit (150 PQF last year). My father was a frequent flyer with UA 15-20 years ago. I know he was 1K for a while. He died 8 years ago. Would love to compare his stats to my own. I remember him being a 1K, and going to Red Carpet Club with him. I also suspect his BIS is higher than mine, but my child-centric perspective on this doesn't remember much else.

Mods feel free to move if appropriate.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
1) Is there a simple way to see all UA metal flights scheduled between two airports for next 6 or so months? Ultimately I am trying to determine if there is a discernible pattern in flight schedules in both directions between ORD and a small midwestern Essential Air Service airport. I.e., M - Th there is 3 flights a day in both directions, but F - Sun there is 4, etc.
ExpertFlyer will allow you to see all direct flights between two airports on a week-by-week basis, and it will show you the end dates so you can generally get a pretty good idea what the schedule is. That said, for EAS in particular, you should be able to look up the EAS application itself — the flight operators bid for X flights daily / weekly, and the subsidy means that they don’t shift schedules around as much as can occur on unsubsiidzed routes.

2) Does anyone know how long UA keeps customer related Mileage Plus data? I am in a phase of my career where I am traveling quite a bit (150 PQF last year). My father was a frequent flyer with UA 15-20 years ago. I know he was 1K for a while. He died 8 years ago. Would love to compare his stats to my own. I remember him being a 1K, and going to Red Carpet Club with him. I also suspect his BIS is higher than mine, but my child-centric perspective on this doesn't remember much else.
There is some indication that MP data is kept indefinitely, but UA will not provide access to it absent a court order. (Although award miles are the property of United, judges have been known to move them around during divorce proceedings). Prior to the CO merger, you could call UA and ask them for an printed history, but reports have been that this is no longer done, presumably because everything has been moved to tape storage and it’s an expensive operation to pull that data.
SPN Lifer and purdue1015 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:46 pm

....1) Is there a simple way to see all UA metal flights scheduled between two airports for next 6 or so months? Ultimately I am trying to determine if there is a discernible pattern in flight schedules in both directions between ORD and a small midwestern Essential Air Service airport. I.e., M - Th there is 3 flights a day in both directions, but F - Sun there is 4, etc.
Paid Tools like ExpertFlyer and KVS provide timetable viiews that show this type oinformation

....2) Does anyone know how long UA keeps customer related Mileage Plus data? I am in a phase of my career where I am traveling quite a bit (150 PQF last year). My father was a frequent flyer with UA 15-20 years ago. I know he was 1K for a while. He died 8 years ago. Would love to compare his stats to my own. I remember him being a 1K, and going to Red Carpet Club with him. I also suspect his BIS is higher than mine, but my child-centric perspective on this doesn't remember much else....
Pre-merge UA was pretty good about this but post-merge UA using premerge-CO IT systems only keeps 3-4 years of data
Where to get my flight history and actual total lifetime miles (paid/award/partners)?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1K
You can email mileageplus and they’ll give you history going back the last 10 years (which unfortunately does not help you in this case). It doesn’t seem like the agents have access to anything further (although as some have mentioned UA might have access to more)
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:28 am

Thank you all, very helpful as usual!

EDIT
I sent an email to 1K voice just now with my father's full name, DOB, DOD, and MP number. Not expecting any sort of response but if I get something I'll absolutely update this.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by purdue1015; Jan 13, 2024 at 9:53 am
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:01 pm

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the following questions.

I have a question about upgrading an international Premium Economy (R fare) flight. My status is UA Gold and I don't have Plus Points to use. The flight I am thinking of booking is between ICN and SFO. According to my quick check, upgrading requires $450 co-pay plus 30K UA miles. Did I get it right?
Other questions are as follows:

1. I don't have enough miles in my UA account now. But I can trasfer miles from my Chase account anytime. Can I still request an upgrade without enough miles in the UA account?
2. How close in to the flight do these upgrades usually clear? My concern is that if it's too close, say like at the boarding gate, I might not be able to do the necessary mile transfer. I never logged into my Chase account from overseas and I don't know if it could trigger some security issues.

Thank you.
michaelmorio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.