Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:11 pm

I saw through Google travel that booking a United ticket (round trip East Coast to Europe) was cheaper on Lufthansa. 50 percent! Is there any down side to doing this?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by marlin
I saw through Google travel that booking a United ticket (round trip East Coast to Europe) was cheaper on Lufthansa. 50 percent! Is there any down side to doing this?
Are you booking a United ticket for travel on Lufthansa aircraft, or a Lufthansa ticket for travel on United aircraft?

If you book an LH ticket to fly UA, one potential downside is that, if non-refundable and you change or cancel, your credit has to be booked by LH.

If you buy a UA ticket to fly LH instead of UA, then you are experiencing a different carrier.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have a midcon flight in F in a few weeks. The amenities say "Dinner." At some point will I get to choose which one? ;;;
5 days in advance
UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does the TMobile free inflight internet for Magenta customers work on UA?
Yes
T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free OnBoard Wifi on UA ( & other US Airlines)
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Assuming these are the same flights? Or are they different flights?
Compare the cancellation and change policies -- UA is more more generous.
Additionally the mileage and status earning may be different
For a variety of reasons, generally booking with the operating carrier is better ( operating carrier, not codeshare)
Price may trump all these other factors but there are difference that come from booking with one carrier vs another
marlin likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 26, 2024 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:03 pm

Cool best approach? buying a ticket versus using miles

Guys,
Going to Zurich. Is it better to buy a ticket and use miles to upgrade, or to use miles to acquire the ticket and use cash to upgrade?
Got both, but wanna max my clear upgrade situation.
Short and sweet.
Thanks
TMP
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Mountain Pig
Guys,
Going to Zurich. Is it better to buy a ticket and use miles to upgrade, or to use miles to acquire the ticket and use cash to upgrade?
Got both, but wanna max my clear upgrade situation.
Short and sweet.
Thanks
TMP
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If PZ space is available on the flight that you want, then buy the ticket and use miles to upgrade, as the upgrade will clear automatically. If not, in general your better bet is a cash upgrade, because those arent waitlisted but theres no guarantee that any offer will be made, and theres no way to know what the price would be in advance. There are many reports of mileage tickets only being offered buy-ups within 24 hours of departure.

The other option buying a ticket and then using a cash upgrade can sometimes be the best deal.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:45 am

If you book an LH ticket to fly UA, one potential downside is that, if non-refundable and you change or cancel, your credit has to be booked by LH.

Yes, I saw that the exact United flights were offered on the LH website for half the price. I appreciate the reminder that the ticket will then be controlled by LH and therefore
their rules. It just seems so weird that it would be so much cheaper! Still not sure I should do it.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Yes, I saw that the exact United flights were offered on the LH website for half the price. I appreciate the reminder that the ticket will then be controlled by LH and therefore
their rules. It just seems so weird that it would be so much cheaper! Still not sure I should do it.
If you are certain you would be flying the ticket, go for it! I would never pass up cheaper fares. Personally, I don't really care who would be issuing the ticket, because the chances of me cancelling would be zero or near zero.
marlin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:30 pm

Did I do something wrong here to mess up rebooking of a cancelled flight?

My wife and I were booked in paid business/first class on a MEX-IAH-LAS flight on 2/27. I get a text that it is cancelled as I arrive at the airport (volcano ash). I look at the United app via the link they send, and it gives me multiple choices to switch to on 2/29 (everything same and next day full), but none of the choices indicate if they are in business seats. It wants me to pick one, and it books us into economy class but I then see there are 2 open seats in business on the seat map that are additional cost ($490 each).
I got into line at the ticket counter to see if they could get me the seats as they should be included, but they tell me that it shows I wasn't booked in business on the original flight. I show them our electronic boarding passes and they tell me they are definitely for business class but can't explain it and can't help me. They give me the itinerary sheets of the flights all in economy for 2 days later.

I go to United site chat, and similar story - he ultimately told me to call United as he doesn't have a copy of the "ticket history". I call United and she tells me that we are now booked on a completely different flight now routing through SFO but in business. This apparently was done automatically? She can't explain the prior interactions. Any ideas what happened and what do I do next time to avoid all this?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by growlers
what do I do next time to avoid all this?
Rebook via human, not app. Hard to say exactly what happened, but computers gleefully dumping you in Y is a common story unfortunately. (On the flip side, a surprising number of people want to be dumped in Y if it means getting home even an hour earlier.)
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:46 pm
5DH

Stupid question:

Ive never checked a bag before.

I'm flying United business class and I am Gold status.

Checking in for my flight it asks me how many checked bags, and how many of those are over 50 pounds but under 70 pounds. I havent packed yet.

My understanding is that I get a 70 pound weight bag for free because of my cabin and status. Should I indicate that my bag is 50-70 pounds even if it might be 40? I have no idea and we dont own a scale.

Or should I indicate I dont have any bags on the app and figure it all out in the airport?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by 5DH
Stupid question:

Ive never checked a bag before.

I'm flying United business class and I am Gold status.

Checking in for my flight it asks me how many checked bags, and how many of those are over 50 pounds but under 70 pounds. I haven’t packed yet.

My understanding is that I get a 70 pound weight bag for free because of my cabin and status. Should I indicate that my bag is 50-70 pounds even if it might be 40? I have no idea and we don’t own a scale.

Or should I indicate I don’t have any bags on the app and figure it all out in the airport?
When you go to bag drop you can do the check-in process again and weigh your bag. The kiosks usually have a little scale next to them so you can check the weight there and print the tag accordingly.
I usually just state I have X bags and none are overweight (unless I for sure know it will be) when checking in on the app
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5DH
Or should I indicate I dont have any bags on the app and figure it all out in the airport?
This.
findark likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:34 am

I canceled an award flight a few days ago. When I log on to united.com I have a little notification "1" on the My Trips tab, but I can't seem to click on it for more info or clear it. I haven't received any emails and haven't done anything other than cancel that award flight. Is there a way to find out why it's showing me that?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zitsky
I canceled an award flight a few days ago. When I log on to united.com I have a little notification "1" on the My Trips tab, but I can't seem to click on it for more info or clear it. I haven't received any emails and haven't done anything other than cancel that award flight. Is there a way to find out why it's showing me that?
Probably just a residual hang on...little bug. Assume there is no itinerary when you go into "my trips / upcoming trips" section?
And when you cancelled the award trip, the miles were returned to your account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.