Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Key phrase here is same day, not 24 hours. I am assuming you were denied access at ORD, but allowed at XXX.
This was day before....ie 23hours and 59 min before my PNR starts, but 31 hours before my polaris flight

Originally Posted by fumje
No, it works if within 24 hours of Polaris itinerary. (edit: although there are reports of SFO being finicky.)

I suspect there is a typo or time zone quirk in Hipplewm's reporting of '10:30' no / '10:01am' yes.
Yes, i screwed up - should be fixed now

Originally Posted by aacharya
10:30 pm the Day before
10:01 am the Day of

What was not tested:

9:59 am the Day of (which would test the 24-hour versus same-day theory)
Originally Posted by fumje
'XXX-Int'l' had a segment at 10a from XXX-??? on the day of, which conflicts with the theory that '10:01 am' is on the day of, no?
Originally Posted by aacharya
Hmm, a fair point, as the Polaris flight was at 5 pm. I guess not sure why 10:01 am was an important timepoint (maybe that's when Polaris opens).
10am was when the PNR started that contained the polaris flight, but the polaris flight wasn't for 31 more hours ie 7 hours after the 10am start of the PNR that contained the polaris flight
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: United, Delta
Sorry for the basic question but I am flying in Polaris from LAX to MEL, connecting to LAX via EWR. Will I have access to the Polaris lounge at EWR before the connecting flight to LAX?
Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demons1234
I am flying in Polaris from LAX to MEL, connecting to LAX via EWR. Will I have access to the Polaris lounge at EWR before the connecting flight to LAX?
Yes, you will.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Hi, FlyerTalk. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My fiancee are flying SFO-EWR-MAN this Tuesday. We requested Polaris upgrades with miles, and the EWR-MAN segment was confirmed. Will we have access to the Polaris lounge in EWR?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Walklet

My fiancee are flying SFO-EWR-MAN this Tuesday. We requested Polaris upgrades with miles, and the EWR-MAN segment was confirmed. Will we have access to the Polaris lounge in EWR?

Thanks.
Absolutely as it's a long haul international business class flight with United and/or a *A partner (class of service need not be Polaris explicitly)! Enjoy the lounge

-James
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You give your friend the PNR info. He can call in to apply.
Or do it online - you can apply RPUs to anything for which you can pull up the PNR.

Thanks.
Yes. Also in SFO if that's what you were asking.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yes. Also in SFO if that's what you were asking.
I was actually only asking about EWR. Since our SFO-EWR segment wasn't upgraded, I assumed we wouldn't have access. Is that not true?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:41 pm

I am still a little confused on the access policy. Let's say I am travelling from FRA->ORD->YVR. All on UA metal and Business class. Do I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was actually only asking about EWR. Since our SFO-EWR segment wasn't upgraded, I assumed we wouldn't have access. Is that not true?
A segment in United Polaris (needs to be UA metal, Polaris-marketed, J or F) qualifies you for Polaris Lounge access at your origin, destination, and all connecting points of your same-day itinerary. Yes, you have access in SFO too, even if SFO-EWR is in Y.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
I am still a little confused on the access policy. Let's say I am travelling from FRA->ORD->YVR. All on UA metal and Business class. Do I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD?
Yes, as long as FRA-ORD is UA metal.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You will have same day Polaris lounge access at SFO and EWR.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by findark
A segment in United Polaris (needs to be UA metal, Polaris-marketed, J or F) qualifies you for Polaris Lounge access at your origin, destination, and all connecting points of your same-day itinerary. Yes, you have access in SFO too, even if SFO-EWR is in Y.
I think I'm out of luck, then. My Polaris segment is R-class. Good to know for the future, though. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:58 pm

I think I'm out of luck, then. My Polaris segment is R-class. Good to know for the future, though. Thanks.
[mod edit] you are way overthinking this.

You will have access at SFO and EWR based on the upgraded segment EWR-MAN. Period, end of discussion.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 22, 2018 at 7:37 pm Reason: snark
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Eric Walklet!

I think I'm out of luck, then. My Polaris segment is R-class.
What findark was describing is that the front cabin must be marketed as Polaris and not just as Business or First. It doesn't matter how you actually got into the premium cabin. You'll get your lounge access.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Makes sense now. Thanks, everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.