Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Agree wtih the above. Super easy to re-route "25 people" on SFO-BNE to SYD or MEL and use Virgin Australia partnership to get them to BNE or their final destination (which may have been SYD or MEL in the first place).

-RM
Given how easy is it has been to upgrade SFO-BNE and BNE-SFO, I’m sure there were a few itineraries that were routing via BNE to/from MEL/SYD on Virgin (or even Qantas since United sells that option as well).
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:48 am
Original Poster

UA892 ICN-SFO 789 on 2/14 was cancelled due to maintenance

UA35 SFO-KIX 788 cancelled maintenance (return 34 cancelled)
UA53 ZRH-IAD 763 cancelled maintenance
UA96 SFO-BNE 788 cancelled maintenance (return 97 cancelled)

UA143 DEN-NRT 789 on 2/16 is (again) significantly delayed. This time by 7 hours. Due to this today's flight UA142 is cancelled.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 17, 2024 at 7:19 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

UA23 EWR-DUB 763 on 2/16 was delayed by 8 hours, then cancelled altogether due to maintenance. UA22 return cancelled.
UA28 SIN-SFO 789 diverted to GUM. Scheduled to do GUM to HNL then HNL to SFO but HNL to SFO segment was "cancelled". That segment should be flown as UA3935.
UA34 KIX-SFO 788 cancelled maintenance
UA142 NRT-DEN 789 cancelled due to outbound flight delay
UA938 ORD-LHR 763 cancelled maintenance
UA986 CDG-ORD 763 cancelled maintenance
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
UA23 EWR-DUB 763 on 2/16 was delayed by 8 hours, then cancelled altogether due to maintenance. UA22 return cancelled.
UA28 SIN-SFO 789 diverted to GUM. Scheduled to do GUM to HNL then HNL to SFO but HNL to SFO segment was "cancelled". That segment should be flown as UA3935.
Yikes. I was supposed to be on that. So glad for my change in plans now. Any idea why the diversion? SIN has been being hit pretty roughly lately
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
My brother is a retired DL 767 Captain. He said it was standard practice during IRROPS when you needed an airframe to cancel a flight with light loads and move it to a heavily booked flight.
Of course. What would be a better method for picking which flight to cancel other than the one that has the smallest negative impact on the operation?

Flights that could otherwise operate are not cancelled because of light loads. When you have to cancel a flight then you pick the flight which has the smallest negative impact which is often the one that has a light, if not the lightest, load. It depends on more than just that one leg, though, as a cancellation affects other flights downline.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Of course. What would be a better method for picking which flight to cancel other than the one that has the smallest negative impact on the operation?

Flights that could otherwise operate are not cancelled because of light loads. When you have to cancel a flight then you pick the flight which has the smallest negative impact which is often the one that has a light, if not the lightest, load. It depends on more than just that one leg, though, as a cancellation affects other flights downline.
Totally get this analysis and don't disagree -- but why it happens is my issue. This perspective is very US focused and completely represents the US laws regarding air travel -- that's why it is different in the EU (and tbh should be in the US). Because at the end of the day the US airlines do what is best for revenue management (not total number of pax affected lol) -- because that is what the law in the US allows. As someone that lived in a non-hub (ROC) for 30 years my flights were often cancelled (to be clear this is not a UA thing) so much because they needed a plane for "more important / higher revenue" routes - and I was left to find my own way...

When there is no financial penalty for cancelling a flight why would we expect US airlines to do anything else? They choose the best way to make the most money which is what we wold expect them to do absent any consequences -- but in the EU it's different. Better / worse -- that's debatable -- but to associate US airlines doing the best thing for the most people is a bridge too far for me.... I am sure that the people that fly the planes / work the planes DO care about that -- their management -- not so much.....
maizie and narvik like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Totally get this analysis and don't disagree -- but why it happens is my issue. This perspective is very US focused and completely represents the US laws regarding air travel -- that's why it is different in the EU (and tbh should be in the US). Because at the end of the day the US airlines do what is best for revenue management (not total number of pax affected lol) -- because that is what the law in the US allows. As someone that lived in a non-hub (ROC) for 30 years my flights were often cancelled (to be clear this is not a UA thing) so much because they needed a plane for "more important / higher revenue" routes - and I was left to find my own way...

When there is no financial penalty for cancelling a flight why would we expect US airlines to do anything else? They choose the best way to make the most
Not following your assertion; the OP noted that when an airframe goes out of service and something needs to cancel that United often chooses the flight with the least impact to customers. Are you implying the look at the fares paid and not the number of pax when they decide what to cancel?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Not following your assertion; the OP noted that when an airframe goes out of service and something needs to cancel that United often chooses the flight with the least impact to customers. Are you implying the look at the fares paid and not the number of pax when they decide what to cancel?
Yes - I am 100% implying they look at the cost / profit to operate versus number of pax affected -- but note that I wasn't making this a UA specific thing.... There is ZERO penalty in the US for this which is why it is common -- in the EU the financial math is different -- so the IRROPS handling is different as well... It's not a hard concept to understand - its just business....
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:17 pm

Yes - I am 100% implying they look at the cost / profit to operate versus number of pax affected -- but note that I wasn't making this a UA specific thing.... There is ZERO penalty in the US for this which is why it is common -- in the EU the financial math is different -- so the IRROPS handling is different as well... It's not a hard concept to understand - its just business....
As a GS impacted my multiple cancellations last year on C and D fares I’d disagree. I really don’t think they financially model every cancellation to optimize profit. Perhaps their models are that sophisticated, but I’d be surprised. It’s much easier to look at number of people impacted than model for profit per individual pax, some goodwill X factor based on number of elites / status and other variables.

that said, I’d be impressed if they’ve gone there…but don’t appreciate the “it’s not hard to understand” - I read your reply multiple times and legit was asking because I didn’t know if you were suggesting that or not
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:45 pm

As a GS impacted my multiple cancellations last year on C and D fares I’d disagree. I really don’t think they financially model every cancellation to optimize profit. Perhaps their models are that sophisticated, but I’d be surprised. It’s much easier to look at number of people impacted than model for profit per individual pax, some goodwill X factor based on number of elites / status and other variables.

that said, I’d be impressed if they’ve gone there…but don’t appreciate the “it’s not hard to understand” - I read your reply multiple times and legit was asking because I didn’t know if you were suggesting that or not
Sorry if I offended -- wasn't my intent at all -- US airlines revenue management algorithms during IRROPS are much more sophisticated than you think -- I know because I helped to write them many years ago -- and then worked in the industry for many years.... It's been a while -- and they could have changed in the past 10 years -- but I doubt it....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Feb 18, 2024 at 7:00 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:50 pm

Sorry if I offended -- wasn't my intent at all -- US airlines revenue management algorithms during IRROPS are much more sophisticated than you think -- I know because I helped to write them many years ago -- and then worked in the industry for many years.... It's ben a while -- and they could have changed in the past 10 years -- but I doubt it....
No worries - and in that case I stand corrected. Impressed to see they manage it with this level of detail. Given their passenger facing IT in many cases I wouldn’t have expected it.

if anything, I’d expect like most industries they’ve gotten more sophisticated in the last 10 years - and AI will likely increase that exponentially going forward
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:07 pm

No worries - and in that case I stand corrected. Impressed to see they manage it with this level of detail. Given their passenger facing IT in many cases I wouldn’t have expected it.

if anything, I’d expect like most industries they’ve gotten more sophisticated in the last 10 years - and AI will likely increase that exponentially going forward
The airline business is like any other business -- you have costs to operate and the revenue associated with those costs -- when there is an issue (IRROPS) the airline will optimize for revenue -- not the number of people -- it's really not that difficult a business decision.... Sorry if my wording made it imply something else -- and as I said it's been a while -- but I doubt Kirby changed these types of things lol.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

UA97 BNE-SFO 788 cancelled maintenance
UA958 LHR-ORD 763 cancelled maintenance
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
Why so many BNE getting cancelled?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch
Why so many BNE getting cancelled?
No specific knowledge but ULH flights are cancelled more frequently as the amount of time delay they can handle is limited before the crew times out. Other factors that increase cancellation is limited time window for arrival or departure due to curfews or other time restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.